• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Take the "not till they are above .500" pledge

shakes

• Premium Member

This thread has been approved by @sturt 

I invite y'all to join me in taking the pledge to refuse to watch another minute of this garbage until this team is above .500.    We are all way too important to waste another second of our lives watching this garbage unfold in front of us.

Need something else to do with your time?  I suggest college basketball or join me in following the OKC Thunder which is an actual team with a present AND a future.  Or you can go really crazy and join me in watching Connor Bedard play his rookie season with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Also tons of great streaming options on Apple+, Netflix, Hulu and a couple thing worth watching on Amazon and Disney.

Let's go, time to send a message to this garbage franchise.  Honestly you people should've thought of this a long time ago given how this franchise is basically the walking laughing stock of the NBA for decades.  No reason to just sit there and take that.   The Atlanta Hawks ain't General Sherman.  They can't just roll through town.  Screw em, close the shades and lock the doors, nothing to see here.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, shakes said:

Or you can go really crazy and join me in watching Connor Bedard play his rookie season with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Welcome to that party that already started. 😄

Hey... new idea... ya think the overlords here might open up a Blackhawks forum?... I mean... it is Blackhawks after all... why not? When you're childless, don't you consider adoption? So, there's no hockey team claiming affection around here... why not fill the void??? 😎

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, sturt said:

Welcome to that party that already started. 😄

Hey... new idea... ya think the overlords here might open up a Blackhawks forum?... I mean... it is Blackhawks after all... why not? When you're childless, don't you consider adoption? So, there's no hockey team claiming affection around here... why not fill the void??? 😎

love it!    You are correct in that hockey is much better in person than on TV.   It's like the anti-football in that regard.

But, as a lifelong player and fan I still get into the TV version quite a bit.  And seeing a phenom like Bedard play has made it a lot of fun this year even if the team is god awful terrible.   The other night they got beat pretty bad, but Bedard had an absolutely jaw dropping goal that made it all worthwhile.

Going in person Sunday to see him play for the 3rd time this season.  He's scored in every game I've been to and the team is 2-0.   We'll see how long I can keep that streak going. Also got tickets for a couple games in January.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:00 AM, shakes said:

This thread has been approved by @sturt 

I invite y'all to join me in taking the pledge to refuse to watch another minute of this garbage until this team is above .500.    We are all way too important to waste another second of our lives watching this garbage unfold in front of us.

Need something else to do with your time?  I suggest college basketball or join me in following the OKC Thunder which is an actual team with a present AND a future.  Or you can go really crazy and join me in watching Connor Bedard play his rookie season with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Also tons of great streaming options on Apple+, Netflix, Hulu and a couple thing worth watching on Amazon and Disney.

Let's go, time to send a message to this garbage franchise.  Honestly you people should've thought of this a long time ago given how this franchise is basically the walking laughing stock of the NBA for decades.  No reason to just sit there and take that.   The Atlanta Hawks ain't General Sherman.  They can't just roll through town.  Screw em, close the shades and lock the doors, nothing to see here.

Is this you?

image.png.15aca16db01c253d8f535f3fcf8c81c5.png

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
On 12/19/2023 at 8:05 PM, sturt said:

Until we get our own forum here, I suppose this thread will have to do, @shakes. 🙂

Bedard 4 assists in last 2 games!    Love that the coach finally put him and Reichel together.

I did watch last night, but only to see he minutes Trae played.    

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Naw.  Good or bad, rich or poor, I'm a Hawk fan.  I had to pay extra to get all their games on TV and I will watch every game I get a chance to watch.  They have won their last two and now have Kobe and JJ coming off the injured list.  M. Gueye is on his way back.  Why do I want to stop this nerve-wrecking habit?  

GO ATL HAWKS !!

😍

No doubt.  It is fun stuff most of the time.  Trae and JC were a great duo for a while.  I'm excited about Trae and JJ.  I'm excited if OO really has turned a corner this season.  And Bogi is always exciting.  

I was always interested in the Hawks but the Dennis / Sap / Baze years were boring stuff.  Most of the post 60 win season was boring stuff.  I'm glad we are at least putting an interesting product out there. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Happy to learn that meeting the threshold of "fun" and "exciting" "nerve-wrecking" is sufficient for some... and I've said as much without trying to judge which ones here are that, and which ones aren't.

My take, as long as people are honest with themselves about it, that they get it that... like Days of Our Lives and All My Children and As the World Turns etc etc etc... the story may never actually give them that one pinnacle moment (and particularly given the new evidence that the owner's first priority is black ink) but it's consumer entertainment they're going to enjoy no matter a given owner's priority.

I'm not like you. I fully recognize how difficult it is to win a championship having only seen my Cowboys ever get to the top of the mountain in any professional sport that I still follow. (Thankfully, Nats won just before Manfredball was adopted.) I'm not impatient. I'm very used to my teams falling short. I was an NLstros fan until 2011, seeing only one WS appearance in all that time. And I've been a ATLHawks fan, seeing... well, you know. It's not perseverance I need. It's trust. What I have to see is that there is a God-honest legitimate attitude that the leadership of the franchise shares in that priority over any other priority. I have to trust that there's a genuine pursuit of the holy grail going on.

So what I will not do is continue to support an owner who's priority has emerged as keeping me just interested enough that I'll continue to help him/her generate income... watching ads, buying tix/merch, etc. I feel I'm giving-in to a big con... the True to Atlanta tag line, a marketing line to mask over what Peter Antony Ressler's bottom line is... a fraud... paying him to watch a hamster on a hamster wheel... the sports version of being hooked on a soap opera.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

So what I will not do is continue to support an owner who's priority has emerged as keeping me just interested enough that I'll continue to help him/her generate income...

Lifelong Bengals fan so I understand this 100%.  Had season tickets for almost 10 years, starting when they built the new stadium in 2000.  They had some good teams in there and it did feel like they were finally trending in the right direction.  But it was ultimately much of the same.  Ownership content with mediocrity.  Finally gave them up.  Work, life, commitments, etc and just didn’t want to contribute to that anymore. Some of his daughters and others are pulling strings now and so far it seems like it’s for the better.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

But…I still watched them on TV though.  And the only thing I know about hockey is that the Columbus Blue Jackets are the Bengals of the NHL.  And they have a better record than the cellar dwelling Blackhawks. 🤣  Trade the Atlanta Hawks for the Chicago Blackhawks?  How can you justify that maneuver!?!

Hey I’m just joking.  I read your post and get your point.  My step dad was a huge Blackhawks fan.  Been to a few games.  Like you or someone said…much more fun in person.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Chrimturn said:

Lifelong Bengals fan so I understand this 100%.  Had season tickets for almost 10 years, starting when they built the new stadium in 2000.  They had some good teams in there and it did feel like they were finally trending in the right direction.  But it was ultimately much of the same.  Ownership content with mediocrity.  Finally gave them up.  Work, life, commitments, etc and just didn’t want to contribute to that anymore. Some of his daughters and others are pulling strings now and so far it seems like it’s for the better.  Time will tell.

Grew up in Bengals/Reds territory, and to this day, I still listen to Mike McConnell on 700WLW with some regularity.

And I understand this 100%.

How many years was the Brown family going to run it back with Marvin Lewis because he was willing to let Mikey play GM?

I'm still not persuaded that the team didn't just luck out with getting a franchise QB, and a plausibly decent first-time (ie, "economical") head coach, and that what success they've realized in these last 24-ish months won't withstand the Browns' priority on black ink.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Grew up in Bengals/Reds territory, and to this day, I still listen to Mike McConnell on 700WLW with some regularity.

And I understand this 100%.

How many years was the Brown family going to run it back with Marvin Lewis because he was willing to let Mikey play GM?

Oh wow.  Small world.  Yeah, when Palmer went down in that Steelers playoff game it just took the wind out of my (and pretty much everybody’s) sails.  Kind of like the Paul Pierce post I had in the other thread…this time without the redemption.  Was the writing on the wall for me as a ticket holder.  Rode it out as long as I could.

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm still not persuaded that the team didn't just luck out with getting a franchise QB, and a plausibly decent first-time (ie, "economical") head coach, and that what success they've realized in these last 24-ish months won't withstand the Browns' priority on black ink.

Undoubtedly luck…and A lot more interesting now, being that the franchise QB seems to be quite injury prone since he’s been here.  Hasn’t played a 100% healthy full season yet and the chips are all in.  (Although I do not know the complete details of his contract).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I’m always impressed with some of y’all who are Hawks fans that aren’t born and raised in Atlanta. I love my Hawks, Falcons, and Braves..but I was born into this love/hate relationship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I’m always impressed with some of y’all who are Hawks fans that aren’t born and raised in Atlanta. I love my Hawks, Falcons, and Braves..but I was born into this love/hate relationship.

It's always interesting to hear the stories of Hawks fans outside of Atlanta.  It used to be a few people from Turner Broadcasting being on cable showing Braves and Hawks games.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It's always interesting to hear the stories of Hawks fans outside of Atlanta.  It used to be a few people from Turner Broadcasting being on cable showing Braves and Hawks games.  

I’m used to people saying they like the Braves from TBS and then somehow liking the Lakers, Patriots, UNC basketball and Bama football. I appreciate those who somehow took on the Hawks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Yeah, born and raised (1977) into the love/hate with the Reds/Bengals.  But no hometown NBA team.  Could’ve  went the easy route…Lakers, Celtics, or jumped to the Bulls.  Or stayed close to home with Cavs Pacers.  But for me, as a kid, there was just something about Dominique.  And that was all she wrote.

• Like 1