• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Advanced metrics guys!

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Since our poster child for bad advanced metrics has been out, who now is the poster child for bad advanced metrics amongst the regulars.  There has to be somebody otherwise we would be winning these game if these metrics actually meant anything.  If we don't have new poster children then I vote to no longer use advanced metrics to evaluate anything since it won't be a reliable predictor of team success.  Who is with me?

• Haha 1

• Peoriabird changed the title to Advanced metrics guys!
2 hours ago, AHF said:

You think Dre being out and giving minutes to garbage cans in Mat(t)hews will improve the team?!?  That isn’t how metrics work.  Hunter’s metrics look All-NBA compared to them.  They should not be getting minutes on an NBA roster.

Trade Hunter for Mikal Bridges and then you’ll see if the metrics mean something.

Precisely lol

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I thought Villanova guys were supposed to be high bbiq.  I seen this dude drift to the wrong man, wrong spot, wrong situation so often sometimes I can barely tell if we're on D or O. 😥

Is he seeing things in another dimension on D?  Are we just unable to catch up? 

He's playing like a 3 yr old on defense, just confused by the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

You think Dre being out and giving minutes to garbage cans in Mat(t)hews will improve the team?!?  That isn’t how metrics work.  Hunter’s metrics look All-NBA compared to them.  They should not be getting minutes on an NBA roster.

Trade Hunter for Mikal Bridges and then you’ll see if the metrics mean something.

I have a pocket list of people I'd trade away and for to improve this team that would make people do a double take on the defensive end and I really think that's what the trade deadline will all be about. Getting bigger, longer, better laterally. 

53 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He's playing like a 3 yr old on defense, just confused by the game.

He just watches the ball the whole time.

I like him but he'sjust not right for us rn.  He's like that girlfriend who's perfect for you but you're not mature enough to see it.  Then you look back after a few years and realize you dropped the ball.

Wait, where was I going with this?  🤔

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I like him but he'sjust not right for us rn.  He's like that girlfriend who's perfect for you but you're not mature enough to see it.  Then you look back after a few years and realize you dropped the ball.

Tell us more 🤓

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I mean if he was stroking 40% from 3 and automatic from the corners, it would go a long way towards making up for his other flaws (Thats why he had such a big positive impact last season).

Unfortunately, turns out he's a super streaky shooter and he is now having the worst shooting season of his career (34%) even though he is spoonfed wide open looks for the majority of his shots. 

Bey is the strongest, meanest, most feared driver that wears a Hawk uniform this season.  He will run you over, go thru you or whatever it takes to get to the basket.  While he's doing this, you try to stop him, and he draws the foul and scores anyway.

He takes, and sometimes makes, a corner three.  Just enough to have the opponent worry and try not to leave him open too long.  Playing defense may be a mystery for him but he does try.  No one is going to run over him and get by with it.  The where, when and why of defense can be learned.  Not saying he will be great.  I just think he's smart enough to improve with the correct teaching.  All in all, he's not a great NBA player.  But, really, he's not terrible either.  I enjoy seeing the work he does around the offense's goal.  

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, AHF said:

One of these post isn't like the others...wonder why?  Just asked a simple question and this is what I get from one of the mods? 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I like him but he's just not right for us.  He's like that girlfriend who's perfect for you but you're not mature enough to see it.  Then you look back after a few years and realize you dropped the ball.

KGO1   Wherever you were going with this, you got our attention.  Sometimes this is hard to do.  I know.   

😄

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Since our poster child for bad advanced metrics has been out, who now is the poster child for bad advanced metrics amongst the regulars.  There has to be somebody otherwise we would be winning these game if these metrics actually meant anything.  If we don't have a new poster children then I vote to no longer use advanced metrics to evaluate anything since it won't be a reliable predictor of team success.  Who is with me?

I know nothing!  I plead, not guilty!

:smug:

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

One of these post isn't like the others...wonder why?  Just asked a simple question and this is what I get from one of the mods? 🤔

Let's break it down for you.

Since our poster child for bad advanced metrics has been out, who now is the poster child for bad advanced metrics amongst the regulars. 

For me, everyone on our bench other than Bogi, OO and Bey has horrible bad advanced metrics.  Not coincidently they also suck for the most part.  They are poster children for bad player and bad metrics as I displayed with my challenge to the board earlier today.  

Their metrics make Hunter look like an advanced metric beast.  

There has to be somebody otherwise we would be winning these game if these metrics actually meant anything. 

I'm reading your logic to go something like this:

Hunter is out.  Hunter has some metrics that are mediocre and others that are bad.  If bad metrics meant anything him being off the floor would mean we would be winning more often with him out.

So I'm operating off that reading of your post.  If you are intending to communicate something else then please clarify.

The problem with that logic is that we didn't trade Hunter for someone with great metrics.  All our best metrics players were already on the team before Hunter's injury so they are basically giving you what they did before he went out.  When Hunter is injured we aren't adding good metrics to the team.  We are adding minutes for players who have been terrible this season.  That doesn't improve our likelihood of winning games.  (I previously gave a breakdown the minutes to some of our worst players and showed they are getting dramatically more minutes in games where Hunter is out if you want to find that to see the exact breakdown or feel free to do the comparison yourself.) 

Hunter isn't a terrible player.  He is a mediocre player who is our only wing defender.  We miss him when he is out and we give minutes to Mat(t)hews and others who either aren't ready to deliver or who are so bad they will never (again in some cases) be ready to deliver quality minutes on a regular basis.

If we don't have a new poster children then I vote to no longer use advanced metrics to evaluate anything since it won't be a reliable predictor of team success.  Who is with me?

Strong disagree.  Look at the winning teams and the losing teams and you'll see clear patterns with the metrics.  No metric is the be all end all but they absolutely reveal and display valuable information about players and the game.

3 hours ago, AHF said:

For me, everyone on our bench other than Bogi, OO and Bey has horrible bad advanced metrics.  Not coincidently they also suck for the most part.  They are poster children for bad player and bad metrics as I displayed with my challenge to the board earlier today.  

Their metrics make Hunter look like an advanced metric beast.  

I'm reading your logic to go something like this:

Hunter is out.  Hunter has some metrics that are mediocre and others that are bad.  If bad metrics meant anything him being off the floor would mean we would be winning more often with him out.

So I'm operating off that reading of your post.  If you are intending to communicate something else then please clarify.

The problem with that logic is that we didn't trade Hunter for someone with great metrics.  All our best metrics players were already on the team before Hunter's injury so they are basically giving you what they did before he went out.  When Hunter is injured we aren't adding good metrics to the team.  We are adding minutes for players who have been terrible this season.  That doesn't improve our likelihood of winning games.  (I previously gave a breakdown the minutes to some of our worst players and showed they are getting dramatically more minutes in games where Hunter is out if you want to find that to see the exact breakdown or feel free to do the comparison yourself.) 

Hunter isn't a terrible player.  He is a mediocre player who is our only wing defender.  We miss him when he is out and we give minutes to Mat(t)hews and others who either aren't ready to deliver or who are so bad they will never (again in some cases) be ready to deliver quality minutes on a regular basis.

Strong disagree.  Look at the winning teams and the losing teams and you'll see clear patterns with the metrics.  No metric is the be all end all but they absolutely reveal and display valuable information about players and the game.

You mean Wesley Matthew's right? Meth Bogi has had some quality moments.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

So the 9 minutes W. Mathews played and the 2 minutes G. Mathews played against Orlando lost the game even though W. Mathews was +11 and G Mathews was -1 vs the starters who all were double digit - plus/minus.  This is amazing