• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Landry Fields on trade deadline 2024

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Interesting point he makes about when you look at all the opportunities (ie players) available and you narrow those down by internal constraints.   Now obviously some would say money is an issue but it is for every team. 

He goes on to talk about "who we are" and "our dna" and then that limits the opportunities you consider (paraphrasing big time). 

This has been a big concern of mine.  I definitely believe in having a culture and fostering that.  But I'm concerned that Fields, Korver, and Quin are looking to acquire players that play a certain way (perfectly fine) but also exhibit their preferred off court behavior and personality.  That could be (not saying it is yet) problematic when you're passing up really good players because you might not like the way they live their life.  There's a very small number of NBA caliber players in the world.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I don’t think we have a shot at him even if that was the desire.

It’s a year and a half away. Landry can acquire assets, tank, trade to get really crappy for 2025 and give us a chance. 

I'm still just baffled by the Trae comment. It is terrible on so many different levels. 

The only thing worse would have been him saying "Ah, we hate Trae, f*** that guy", but even then, that would point to him having a plan. 

How on earth do you answer a question about your star with "Idk, havent really thought about it". That's your whole job! You don't have a plan for your most important player? WHAT? 

What. In. The. World. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Throughout the whole interview he kept saying “good question”… lol, that’s great that you recognize that but HOW BOUT A GOOD ANSWER TO THE QUESTION! 🤦‍♀️ 

Zing.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

If I'm reading it charitably, I think he was going for a "of course Trae will be with us so I haven't even thought about it...I'm focusing on what it takes to move this team forward" but as I said above this was a softball question to send love Trae's way and he whiffed it badly.

Agreed there... 

The expected response was: "We love Trae, he is a core part of this team"

• Like 2

Just now, AHF said:

If I'm reading it charitably, I think he was going for a "of course Trae will be with us so I haven't even thought about it...I'm focusing on what it takes to move this team forward" but as I said above this was a softball question to send love Trae's way and he whiffed it badly.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I can't lol. 

Even looking through the most rose colored glasses, he's proclaiming that he's woefully unprepared for the moment. 

You can be completely blindsided by the question, but under no circumstances should your brain ever immediately go to "Ehhh, idk" when asked about your superstar. The same superstar that was probably already very annoyed with your job performance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Agreed there... 

The expected response was: "We love Trae, he is a core part of this team"

Exactly. It's probably the easiest question a GM could ever be asked. 

And his brain immediately went to the worst place it could have. That is damning when just thinking about Trae. When thinking about how that might be a glimpse into his capabilities as a GM.....wooof. How do you handle negotiations when you piss the easiest question down your leg?

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Afro said:

Even looking through the most rose colored glasses, he's proclaiming that he's woefully unprepared for the moment. 

You can be completely blindsided by the question, but under no circumstances should your brain ever immediately go to "Ehhh, idk" when asked about your superstar. The same superstar that was probably already very annoyed with your job performance. 

Yeah, he doesn't really seem to have prepared answers for anything which is crazy.  Taking every opportunity to talk up your players should be a given, especially with your biggest star.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yeah, he doesn't really seem to have prepared answers for anything which is crazy.  Taking every opportunity to talk up your players should be a given, especially with your biggest star.

I'm looking for any glimmer of hope that this organization is up for the challenge it faces, but at every turn they prove that they are most certainly not. 

I haven't even touched on the fact that his Trae/DJ pairing comments were just another signal that the Hawks will be desperate in the trade market. 

We're in such a bad spot, man. Our only hope left is that some organization will treat us fairly in a trade this summer, but we have already seen that no team seems to respect this front office. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Was he dude at the end that said are you aiming for 2025? If so, heck ya! And also dude at 18 or so min mark asked his confidence level on the backcourt pairing of Trae and DJ and he never gave a concrete 1-10 rating but said numbers speak for themselves? 🤨 

Throughout the whole interview he kept saying “good question”… lol, that’s great that you recognize that but HOW BOUT A GOOD ANSWER TO THE QUESTION! 🤦‍♀️ 

No he asked the question about the relative youth and inexperience of the front office and other teams trying to take advantage.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Afro said:

Exactly. It's probably the easiest question a GM could ever be asked. 

And his brain immediately went to the worst place it could have. That is damning when just thinking about Trae. When thinking about how that might be a glimpse into his capabilities as a GM.....wooof. How do you handle negotiations when you piss the easiest question down your leg?

30 minutes ago, Afro said:

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

The question, I believe, was "Can you envision this roster without Trae on it?"  

His answer was, "I haven't even thought about it. I'm focused on what we have."

That's a lot different than, "How does Trae fit on this roster going forward?" or "What is Trae's role on this roster going forward?"  or some other question about Trae being on the roster.  He was literally asked if he could envision Trae NOT being on the roster and his answer was "I haven't thought about it."  As in, he hasn't ever considered Trae not being a part of this team.  I took it as he's not considering moving on from Trae.  

I agree that he should have elaborated and used that moment to throw bouquets at Trae and he whiffed badly at that.  But his answer doesn't, imo, mean that he doesn't have a plan for Trae or that Trae's status with the organization is perilous.  I just think he missed an opportunity to really build Trae up, which is a shame, but doesn't mean that he's tearing Trae down.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

But his answer doesn't, imo, mean that he doesn't have a plan for Trae or that Trae's status with the organization is perilous.  I just think he missed an opportunity to really build Trae up, which is a shame, but doesn't mean that he's tearing Trae down.  

I fully agree with this.  I don't think he was trying to communicate he doesn't have a plan for Trae or that Trae's status is up in the air or anything.  His answer doesn't shut down people who want to suggest that in any way but I don't read what he said to suggest either of those things.  It was more a badly missed opportunity to laugh at the reporter in a nice way and say "Are you crazy?  Of course Trae is going to be here.  He's my boy.  Every plan for our future has him leading our team and we are confident we'll get there.  He is a special talent. Etc."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

The question, I believe, was "Can you envision this roster without Trae on it?"  

His answer was, "I haven't even thought about it. I'm focused on what we have."

That's a lot different than, "How does Trae fit on this roster going forward?" or "What is Trae's role on this roster going forward?"  or some other question about Trae being on the roster.  He was literally asked if he could envision Trae NOT being on the roster and his answer was "I haven't thought about it."  As in, he hasn't ever considered Trae not being a part of this team.  I took it as he's not considering moving on from Trae.  

I agree that he should have elaborated and used that moment to throw bouquets at Trae and he whiffed badly at that.  But his answer doesn't, imo, mean that he doesn't have a plan for Trae or that Trae's status with the organization is perilous.  I just think he missed an opportunity to really build Trae up, which is a shame, but doesn't mean that he's tearing Trae down.  

I could see reading his response that way, but I just don't know. He said "I haven't sat down and thought about that. Im focused on what's in front of me". Which to me implies that he still *needs* to sit down and think about it. Or at least, I can easily see how Trae might read it that way.

I'm not saying that he "doesn't have a plan" for Trae, I'm just saying that's what his quote says. Which is very bad, regardless of what he meant to say. 

• Thanks 1