• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will the fact that Trae isn't like by players in the league hurt our chances to land free agents?

Wurider05

I read the quote from Gilbert Arenas where he talks about players not liking Trae because he has dropped 40-50 points on them and talked trash while doing it. His comments were pro Trae but if he is disliked that much is it a problem with us trying to get free agents?1

• Premium Member

That's an interesting point @Wurider05.  I saw a conversation(brief, secret) by Kev and JC when Utah played Sactown.  Whoever posted it made you believe that they both were relieved to be out of Atlanta.   A shot at the heliocentric offense. 

With that said, I cannot imagine a big not wanting to play with Trae.  Even JC looked like he enjoyed being the beneficiary of the Trae Young Alley Oops.   I think the hate is merely an oncourt hate and not a personal hate.  Oncourt a lot of these guys hate how Trae generates points.  A lot of these guys hate that Trae defies the logic.  I don't think bringing in FAs will be a problem.   CP3 has a reputation of being a A-hole... but guys still want to play with him. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

It's probably a real factor for sure -- he clearly isn't respected by his peers.  People want to work with people they like.  That's going to be true for factory workers, accountants, or NBA players.  DJ wanted to play with Trae, so that was a positive, as noted here.

It has. The reason we got Bogi was because VC convinced Bogi, Trae can help and not hurt his game. The thing I don't like is Trae game is elite for a center, no center that's legit as begged to come Atlanta. That makes no sense to me 

1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

Didn’t hurt getting DJM to push for a trade here. 

DJM wanted to play with Trae and come to Atlanta.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phunkabilly said:

I think it's far from a "fact" that Trae isn't liked by other players in the league.  I'm sure some don't like him, of course, but he usually all buddy buddy with the opposing teams' star players after the game.

They don't like him. It's a fact in league circles.

• Thanks 1

They don't like the dude but I bet, if we stopped being cheap a**es and actually went after players in earnest, they'd quickly get over it.

Right now the 'I don't like trae' stuff is them not saying the quiet part (that the Hawks organization is not taken seriously) out loud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Majority. Especially some of the superstars and non stars. The middle class doesn't like Trae. 

Love how Steph and Bron give Trae his flowers, but the rest of these goofballs gonna hate on him cause he makes them look silly

• Like 2

• Premium Member

DJ wanted to come play here and we know that, but we will never know players who do not want to come here because of Trae.  We know Siakam didn't want to come here and we know lots of players want to go to LA or NY or wherever, but that's about it.  It's not farfetched to think we've missed out on players because of it though -- he's clearly not liked in NBA circles, as seen in all-star voting every year.  He also doesn't chum it up with lots of guys after games like a lot of players do.

• Premium Member

I mean we do see him working out with a lot of the top players in the offseason. I don’t think the league is out to get him by any means. It has been discussed here already, but some of it is who wants to play with Trae AND in Atlanta too. We’ve had this problem for years regarding players wanting to play in Atlanta. Trae has really started to mature as a player, I’m sure his time will come.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I mean we do see him working out with a lot of the top players in the offseason. I don’t think the league is out to get him by any means. It has been discussed here already, but some of it is who wants to play with Trae AND in Atlanta too. We’ve had this problem for years regarding players wanting to play in Atlanta. Trae has really started to mature as a player, I’m sure his time will come.

Yeah, as has been said, let's not assign a league issue to a player.

The league issue is there are only 2 or 3 actual free agent destinations - and, no, Miami isn't one of them.  I'll fight anyone on that. 

Anyways, the Hawks have struggled to get free agents for decades.  Suggesting it's a Trae problem is plainly inaccurate.  Actually it can be argued we've attracted more guys in this era, coming to play with Trae, than any other time in Atlanta hawks history.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

It's probably a real factor for sure -- he clearly isn't respected by his peers. 

I don't know if it was respect or something else that caused players to campaign to try to get Dame into the Allstar game.  In my heart, I want to say that that had very little to do with Trae.   However, there's the possibility that he had a lot to do with Trae.   

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, akay said:

Love how Steph and Bron give Trae his flowers,

Steph and Trae are friends.   Bron is a calculating, self-serving, walking agenda.   Bron sees the value of getting Trae to the Lakers in the future.   You rarely see Bron burn bridges with anybody who he can use.   He's the one that started up this let's be friends stuff. 

48 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae better go to the all star game and really start being best friends with some of the guys. Especially the big men.

He could go there and pay for all the lapdances.  Until Messy Ressly opens his man-bagg, it ain't gonna matter. 

• Haha 2