• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

BK is making the critics look foolish!!!

Diesel

• Premium Member

I'm not a big fan of BK, but I have to admit that the events surrounding this past draft makes BK look like a damn genius!!!

First.

Roy - BK stated in a radio interview that a lot of press people get excited over players but they don't have all the information. He went on to talk about a player with a bad foot. I assumed it was Aldridge... however, Roy went down.

Quote:

An MRI on Monday revealed that Roy has an impingement in his left talus (ankle bone), according to a release on the Blazers' Web site late Tuesday afternoon. An impingement occurs when inflammation, bone spurs or fluid buildup causes a tendon to rub against a bone, and can be the result of a previous injury -- such as an ankle sprain -- according to emedicine.com.

Could he have been talking about Roy?

Then there was Foye? What has he done?

Then there was Bargnani? He's looking like a bust!

Then there was Tyrus Thomas? It will be 4 - 5 years waiting on that guy.

Then there was Walter's guy Sene? He may be the MVP of the NBDL, but I don't see anything good in his future in the NBA.

So BK is looking like the smartest man in the room so far this season.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked BK since he got the job here mostly because he wanted a to rebuild and have a young team. It's really nice to see young guys playing their ass of every night. Even if we lose i am not disapointed cause we have the youngest team, and the losses come because we are not experienced enough.

His draft picks are awesome so far.

Boris Diaw - very talented player that i liked when he was here, even though he wasn't productive.

Childress - glue guy, does just about everything you ask him to do. One of the most efficent guys in the league + great attitude.

Josh Smith - Steal of the draft, at only 20 he is averaging 15 and 7. enough said.

Marvin Williams - Yes even I wanted CP3 before the draft, but looking at how talented MW is, it's really hard for any GM to pass on him.

Shelden Williams - We needed rebounding and defense so that was the right pick. Shelden will get better as the season goes on.

You can't judge him on the 2nd round picks, they rarely make the team.

• Premium Member

Go back and check.

I was not against the Shelden Pick. I have defended the pick a few times on this board. I think Shelden was the right pick at the right time for the right team...

There's your Kerry quote Ed.

Before you annoint BK as the savior of the franchise you may want to consider Sheldens numbers...3.7 ppg and 5.4 rpg. Those numbers don't validate a darn thing. You have no idea if Roy was passed over by BK due to anything...pure longshot speculation. And his injury, while a definite irritation in the short term...is no big deal in the long term. We could have signed Wilcox for reasonable numbers and drafted Roy. That would have been lethal with Wilcox playing some 4 and 5. Shelden can barely even get a shot off on the inside and can't even begin to block a reasonable amount of shots. His shot blocking days were over when he left Cameron Indoor. And he is not a young rookie at 23. Upside with him is 8-9 ppg and 7-8 boards which is not a #5 picks numbers.

The Hawks are off to a fabulous start and I will be sitting in section 116 Row C for almost every game like I always do so nobody is more thrilled than I am. But this season is a marathon...not a sprint. And this team, the coach, and the GM will be judged by 82 games, not 6. Great start but some people here need to take it slow and lets see what happens one game at a time.

I have to agree with TP here. Last I checked, David Stern doesn't hand off championship tropies to teams six games into the season. I'm as happy as anyone else about the start and hope that they can avoid the injury bug and be consistent with their efforts unlike a certain team of a winged persuasion down the street (see Falcons, Atlanta).

As for this year's pick, I'm still convinced that Sheldon's talents could've been had by getting Cato or trading off Harrington for Jeff Foster or something. To me, you need more than 4/6 from the 5th pick overall. Of course, many of us have debated this topic to no end and as it stands right now, its a moot point anyway; what's done is done. So let's continue to enjoy the season and a hopeful rebirth of our franchise, fellas.

• Premium Member

#1. Shelden leads all rookies (who have played more than 1 game) in rebounds.

#2. BK probably didn't choose Roy because Roy refused to work out with us. He was beckoned to come to Atlanta and Charlotte and he cold turned us down.

#3. You say we could have signed Wilcox.. However, you forget that Belkin had pulled our purse strings on the second day of FAcy. Did you miss all the possible trades for Al we had to turn down because the court ruling would not let us spend but so much?? Wilcox ended up taking a 3 yr 24 million dollar deal because Seattle lowballed him. There were no other teams with money to give Wilcox. If you want to go into your imaginary world of Unicorns.. Well, we could have had Jermaine Oneal and Allen Iverson!

#4. You are absolutely correct, this season is a marathon. However, excuse the rest of us fans if we can't help but be excited that we won't start off that marathon 0-16 (Like Usual). Don't sit in Seat 116 C arrogantly thinking that this is nothing. The fact that we are winning games and the games that we are losing, we're close... IS more than nothing. Nobody is judging this season on 6 games... we're just glad that 6 games in, this team has shown some fight and some determination to be more than the cellar dwellar!

Quote:

Go back and check.

I was not against the Shelden Pick. I have defended the pick a few times on this board. I think Shelden was the right pick at the right time for the right team...

There's your Kerry quote Ed.

I think this has to do with your BK and MWill pick bashing last year more than anything else.

I agree totally with your other post. 6 games into the season it is great to be in 1st place.

Some are looking at Shelden's stats as a mean of determining whether or not he is playing well. Well, Shelden is probably never going to be a big time stat stuffer with the exception of rebounds. I don't think some have noticed that Shelden is getting better with each game. Against Toronto, Shelden had 8 points and 6 rebounds in 14 minutes. He's averaging 5.6 RPG in right around 18 minutes per game. His per 40 minute rebounding numbers are right around 13 per game. He has his field goal percentage up to 47% after starting the season 1 for 10 from the floor. It's obvious to anyone that watches the games that when he's on the floor, the defense seems to flow much better and the rotations are better. He has done a good job of harassing the man he is guarding, and he gets a lot of chippy fouls called on him.

• Premium Member

BK's failing as a drafter can already be seen. Shellhead has done nothing of note on the court so far and the point guards we have passed up have been absolutely brilliant so far in their careers.

Has anyone besides me noticed what Utah is doing so far? Has anyone besides me noticed that Deron Williams is leading that team and is playing at an All-NBA first team level? Could you imagine him on our team next to Joe Cool? My God!

I am just as happy as the next guy that the Hawks are finally doing something but I'm not going to give Knight a blank check for all of the mistakes he's made.

marvin vs deron/paul is still out for at least another 2-3 years

shelden has done lots of note so far; just maybe not in the box score...but i care about impact on court and winning, not about box scores and stuffing stats

shelden has been good for us so far and will only get better...he is what we needed...we had worst interior defense in the league so he went and got himself the landlord to improve that...and u know what? our defense has improved a LOT

we didn't pass up any point guards in this draft...roy/foye aren't pgs...and roy wouldn't work out for us, so we weren't gonna draft him

Quote:

Shellhead has done nothing of note on the court so far

Have you been watching the games or you just look at the scorecards and read ESPN commentators?

Hawks do nor run offensive plays for him. His contributions are designed to be on other places. That is the PLAN, that was the PLAN, and it is working.

• Premium Member

I've seen every game except the Seattle game. He's not doing anything on the court except grab a few rebounds and get in foul trouble. If being simply average on defense and beyond horrible on offense is "making an impact" then yes, he's a poor man's Alan Henderson. Totally worth the #5 pick in the draft. tongue.gif

I think given the position Shelden plays, if he becomes a solid NBA starter the pick was worth it. Given how much it costs to pay starters at his position, it might not be so bad. If we get a guy on a rookie contract doing the job for a few years then pay him what he's worth at the end of it, you get good value for your franchise.

However, if he doesn't turn into a starter caliber player, or someone else clearly becomes a star, the concept backfired on you.