• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Its official: Woodson back as coach next year

Sothron

• Premium Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-h...ov=ap&type=lgns

ATLANTA (AP) -- Atlanta Hawks president Bernie Mullin said Mike Woodson will return for his fourth season as coach despite another dismal season that ended with the team missing the missing the playoffs for the eighth straight year.

Mullin said the Hawks' ownership group has not yet met in a "formal sit-down," but he said the message from the owners was that Woodson deserves another chance after enduring a season-long battle with injuries.

"Clearly they feel that a change in Mike Woodson's status at this point in time would be completely unfair," Mullin said.

"Obviously he didn't have a fair chance with the talent being out as much as it was this year. We had catastrophic injuries."

The projected top five -- guards Speedy Claxton and Joe Johnson, forwards Josh Smith and Marvin Williams and center Zaza Pachulia -- started only four games together due to a series of injuries that began in training camp.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It's four games," Mullin said. "How do you fairly judge a coach when your projected starting five only plays four games together? What kind of rhythm, what kind of flow can you get into when your top players don't play together?"

The Hawks finished 30-52, a slight improvement from their 26-win season in 2005-06. The Hawks hit bottom with a franchise-worst 13-win season under Woodson in 2004-05.

Woodson is more than 100 games under .500 -- 69-177 -- through three seasons.

One of the owners, Michael Gearon Jr., already has said Woodson deserves to return.

"I don't think it's fair to judge Mike on our record this year," Gearon said. "I think he's done a very good job being patient with young guys.

"He's been patient. He's been a mentor. I think under the circumstances he's done a pretty good job of keeping this team together. It's not fair to judge him when he had half a roster."

Hope for improvement in another season under Woodson is based on the progress of the team's youngest players.

Johnson was the team's first All-Star since Shareef Abdur-Rahim in 2002. Johnson, Smith, Williams, Pachulia and Josh Childress set career highs in scoring.

Even so, there wasn't enough depth to overcome the injuries.

Bernie Mullin, president and CEO of the Atlanta Spirit, speaks during an interview in his office Wednesday, April 25, 2007, in Atlanta. Mullin said he doesn't think Atlanta Hawks head basketball coach Mike vWoodson will be fired, although the owners have not met to discuss Woodson's future yet.

AP - Apr 25, 6:23 pm EDT

More Photos

Claxton suffered a broken hand in a workout before training camp and he missed 36 games with a sore left knee.

Claxton, signed to a four-year, $25.5 million deal, started only 31 games.

Much of how the Hawks approach the NBA draft and free agency may depend on Claxton.

"We knew he was injury-prone," Mullin said. "We hoped he'd play 55 games. Obviously he's got to go get himself healthy.

"I think he's going to come back and surprise a lot of people. He's committed to us that he's going to come back and have his best season ever in the NBA, and I think he will."

Mullin said Woodson also was hurt by lack of depth and consistent play at center.

"We really didn't give him any strength at (point guard and center)," Mullin said. "We didn't have any depth."

Man this really sucks. I was hoping this would be the year we change. Just look at indiana. One year out of the playoffs and carisle is fired. 3 losing seasons and at the bottom of the league and woodson coming back. We will never be the team we can with these type owners and GM.

You have got to be kidding me.After the terrible job Woodson did there is no excuse to bring him back. Even with JJ the team was under 500 and what about all the botched calls Woodson created himself to lose games doesn't that mean something ,the man can't coach. Terrible news and I suppose BK will be brough after continually failing draft after draft not drafting the best player for the team which was obviosu to most street people.

ACCOUNTABLITY there is none in Atlanta which is why we are one of the most pooly run franchises in any sport. Just call us the East Coast Los Angeles Clippers.

banghead.gifhairpulling.gif

Quote:

Much of how the Hawks approach the NBA draft and free agency may depend on Claxton.

"We knew he was injury-prone," Mullin said. "We hoped he'd play 55 games. Obviously he's got to go get himself healthy.

"I think he's going to come back and surprise a lot of people. He's committed to us that he's going to come back and have his best season ever in the NBA, and I think he will."

That's the part that really stuck out to me. I knew Woody wasn't going anywhere (and honestly, as much as I've hated his offensive strategy, his player substitutions, etc, he seems like a good guy, who genuinely is helping our players develop... the guy hasn't had a pg to run his offense either. So, as much as I wouldve loved a change, I do hope he can surprise us and take the Sam Mitchell route of redemption).

But, onto the Claxton part. This showed me 2 things:

1) Obviously we hope he really does come back with a bang like he says he will.

2) If they only hoped for 55 games from him, then he obviously was never our ENTIRE solution at the point. Maybe this means theyll go Conley, Crittenton, Law this draft.

I honestly think it's just an excuse so they don't have to fire him and pay him to sit at home. Using the injury excuse will sit well with most casual Hawk fans. We certainly had injuries, but Woody's incompetance was an "injury" in itself.

On the other hand, how much longer does BK's contract run?? Now if we give BK an extension, I'm gonna set up dynamite outside Philips Arena..

• Premium Member

Quote:

And you guys wonder why the Hawks are the national medias favorite whipping boy!

This move absolutely confirms that the Hawks have the worst ownership in professional sports history. Incompetent on every level.

I'm starting to believe that too. I just hope that we can at least address the PG issue this offseason. We're going to need a "coach" on the floor if we're going to hold onto Woody for another season. I really have my doubts whether the AS is the answer to our ownership problem. frown.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

"We knew he was injury-prone," Mullin said. "We hoped he'd play 55
games. Obviously he's got to go get himself healthy.

2) If they only hoped for 55 games from him, then he obviously was never our ENTIRE solution at the point. Maybe this means theyll go Conley, Crittenton, Law this draft.

That is unbelievable. To admit you signed a BU to the amount you signed Speedy to, expecting him to "play" (not even start?) but 55 games for you?!? This is a franchise on life support with this level of incompetence. No wonder Woodson stays, our ownership frankly aren't competent. Incompetence willfully embraces incompetence.

W

Quote:

The thing that stands out to me in this article is the lack of mention of BK. What is his status? I am assuming he will be making any pick we get, or maybe his tenure is tied to our having a pick.

I do not think any GM with half a brain would take over for BK and be made to keep a coach they did not hire.

Maybe ownership thinks they can play GM better than BK? I do not think this is what they think; but hiring a new GM under these circumstances seems even more far fetched.

Quote:

Woodson as coach means this team will still NOT run like its suppose too and the teams lack of offensive game will revolve around Joe Johnson and eveyrone else watching. This is a horrible move keeping this bum of a coach he has the worst record of nba coach currently coaching.

Yep, they are going to stand around watching our PG beat the ball into the court; then in the last ten seconds of the shot clock, he will try and break his player down or pass it to JJ for a jumper. Every now and then they will run the one play Woddson has given them, a pick and roll.

Sounds like a really exciting new season ....

Guest Walter

Quote:

I'm so happy I didn't give these guys anymore money via tickets. This confirms that I made the right move and that this ownership is impotent and clueless.

Also, If I'm Josh Smith, after another year I walk. Loyalties to city and franchise could not begin to compensate me for this triangle of incompetence. Mind you, with our 4 year contract limitation that can only be put aside with the permission of Belkin, JS isn't getting a contract with us anytime soon anyhow.

W