• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our Basketball IQ

Rexhawk

We may be the smartest team in the league outside of San Antonio and Detroit. Marvin, Al, Childress, and Sheldon have tremendous basketball IQ. They are always in the right place at the right time. They never force their game and they take what the defense gives them. We have the potential to go on a run like the detroit. Our point guard play will be the key for the rest of the season.

• Premium Member

I disagree more strongly to the notion that that's high BBIQ than to anything I have disagreed to.

High basketball IQ is more than just being in the right place. High BBIQ is doing the right thing at the right time because you know it's what's right. Watch the Pistons. They have lots of chemistry and that chemistry is derived off of every guy knowing what to do at every situation.

Right now, we're building some chemistry. However, we definitely have some low IQ moments. Like last night Doubling Tinsley... or Smoove shooting the three. Or Marvin not knowing (yet) when to blow past a player or when & how to post up. The only player we have close enough to be High BBIQ is Chillz and that's only because he can do everything... and he's still limited.

But I will give us one thing that I noticed last night.

JJ is like an uninjured Steve Smith.

He's got the strength to dominate the little guys.

He's got the smooth to score over everybody else.

He just needs to continue to build the smarts to know where everybody else is supposed to be!! The one thing that Smitty had/has on JJ is that everytime Smitty matched up with Somebody, he knew what he had to do to beat him. I'll never forget PTL vs. LAL in the playoffs. Smitty abused Kobe because Kobe was a young fella. Smitty knew the young fella was easy to post up. Once JJ gets to that point where he has a book on everybody, we will be the most dangerous team in the league.

Quote:

But I will give us one thing that I noticed last night.

JJ is like an uninjured Steve Smith.

He's got the strength to dominate the little guys.

He's got the smooth to score over everybody else.

He just needs to continue to build the smarts to know where everybody else is supposed to be!! The one thing that Smitty had/has on JJ is that everytime Smitty matched up with Somebody, he knew what he had to do to beat him. I'll never forget PTL vs. LAL in the playoffs. Smitty abused Kobe because Kobe was a young fella. Smitty knew the young fella was easy to post up. Once JJ gets to that point where he has a book on everybody, we will be the most dangerous team in the league.

11 assists would suggest that he knows where everybody is supposed to be.

An uninjured Steve Smith? More like a less athletic Clyde Drexler.

• Moderators

I think you guys are using different definitions of bbiq. The Hawks are definitely looking good and learning how to finish. I think the iq gets questioned when you see cross court bullets sailing into the seats. But that stuff is happenning less and less.

Quote:

We may be the smartest team in the league outside of San Antonio and Detroit. Marvin, Al, Childress, and Sheldon have tremendous basketball IQ. They are always in the right place at the right time. They never force their game and they take what the defense gives them. We have the potential to go on a run like the detroit. Our point guard play will be the key for the rest of the season.

No way. IMO, that's our biggest weakness right now.

If we had the basketball IQ of those teams our records would be up there with those teams because of how talented we are.

A high BBIQ is something you have to CONSISTENTLY show.

IMO, it's what separates Kobe from Jordan.

Kobe takes far too many crazy shots which is why his efficiency is not nearly as high as it could be with how great of a pure shooter/scorer he is.

Same thing with Smoove. If Smoove played within himself every game and 1)Didn't settle for jumpers, 2)Didn't get cheap fouls or always leave his feet for the pump fakes, he'd be a much more efficient player.

Same with JJ and passing on pick and roll and ESPECIALLY Zaza who almost never passes after putting the ball on the floor in the post.

IMO, it's the biggest area where we need improvement.

I appreciate the progression but Marvin has a ways to go. As a team we do expect a "high BBIQ". We got guys from Stanford, Duke, Florida and such. Goodness JSmith was a Dean's list guy. Shelden has Two degrees, FROM DUKE !!!

Have anyone notice how guys are now starting to look like Joe in mannerisms? Guys conserve their energy as Joe does, it appears to me. Particularly Marvin and Shelden.

Quote:

I appreciate the progression but Marvin has a ways to go. As a team we do expect a "high BBIQ". We got guys from Stanford, Duke, Florida and such. Goodness JSmith was a Dean's list guy. Shelden has Two degrees, FROM DUKE !!!

Have anyone notice how guys are now starting to look like Joe in mannerisms? Guys conserve their energy as Joe does, it appears to me. Particularly Marvin and Shelden.

IQ has went up a lot this year, not enough to be even out of the Bottom 5. Were not a smart or close to a smart team. But were create a lot of mismatches which helps.

• Premium Member

That's just it.

If our team had a High BBIQ...

When we developed big leads, we wouldn't lose them.

Again, Look at Detroit. When they get a Lead, they're like the 85 Bears.. They just keep building on it by doing the same thing.

The other thing is mistakes. We make a lot of them.. BUT we're making less than we use to.

Quote:

IQ has went up a lot this year, not enough to be even out of the Bottom 5.

We wouldn't be over .500 if we were in the bottom 5 for basketball IQ.

AJ- relies on his intelligence and instincts to be competitive. He doesn't have the athleticism or the body type to be an NBA PG if it weren't for this.

JJ- the reason he's a star is because he knows what he can and can't do, not because he's a freak athlete. He leads the team in assists and ppg.

Chill- Has great fundamentals and knows where to be on the court. He's the only player on the team that consistently knows how to move without the ball.

Horford- Will be one of the smartest big men in a few years. He's developing a sense of when to kick it out weak side. He just either needs to improve his footwork or develop a better understanding of his limitations on the offensive low block.

Marvin- I think Marvin knows his role on the team. He never forces anything and feeds off of the attention defenses give JJ. I think if JJ were to go down with an injury, we'd see a much more assertive Marvin.

That's 5 players that get a starter's share of minutes with relatively high IQ's. Shelden's got a high IQ as well but is limited by not having good body control. Josh Smith and Salim could stand to improve. Acie's an unknown. T Lue is a lost cause.

Overall, we're not the Pistons or the Spurs, but we are definitely not bottom 5. My bottom 5 off the top of my head would be Knicks, T-Wolves, Bulls, Memphis, and Seattle.

Agreed about AJ. He is a savy vet that knows how to make the most of his ability. I think since he's entrenched himself as the starter our BB IQ has gone up significantly. One of our downfalls was our impulsivity due to our immaturity. I think he's helping the young guys make better decsisions.

As our young players gain in experience, their natural

instincts and athletic ability combine with this IQ

we're talking about.

They are learning not to make the same mistakes over

and over again.

Experience is a great teacher, if one is willing to

learn the lessons taught. We have the IQ to do this.

tongue.gif

Quote:

...Experience is a great teacher...

Yeah GM...I remember an article in Golf Magazine years back where they were interviewing Lee Trevino and they asked him what his secret was to being able to hit the ball so accurately. He shared a couple technical things about his grip and swing...then quickly followed up by saying "but there's no substitute for hitting about a million practice balls".

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Sorry for the bump but i thought it would be funny to see this thread on the front page along with the "This team is dumb as bricks" thread.