• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question about Marvin. No haters please

macdaddy

• Moderators

I don't want to start another war but more as a light hearted discussion. When is Marvin going to realize that he may WANT to dunk it over 5 guys while jumping from outside the lane but he CAN'T!

Damn man, have a plan before you wind that thing up and realize you can't reach the rim. doh.gif

He had a crappy game. It happens, we won.

Sadly it's almost comical when he does it. For a guy who is athletic as Marvin is he sure isn't the dunker that he should be. I think that the problem with him right now is that the game is still a little too fast for him when he is in traffic like that and it causes him to rely on his athleticism before he makes a decision about what to do. Hopefully the game will slow down for him the same way it has for Smoove over the past 12 months or so.

• Moderators

I agree with you. I'm actually usually critical of Marvin because there is a lot about him that still frustrates me. But it always seems to start some kind of war when you mention him playing bad. I should have said something other than haters. I don't think criticizing Marvin is hating at all.

Marvins jumping ability is pretty average and he is clumsy. Last night he was a train wreck.

Watching the game last night really emphasized our need for 3 pt shooting. Marvin needs to become a legit 3 pt threat to really reach his potential because he is so weak and clumsy he will always have problems finishing inside.

Maturity. That's the key. Over a long period of time

we really learn what we are capable of and what we're not.

Kobe had an off night. Marvin had an off night. It happens

to all players, not just to Marvin.

JJ has been injured, plus, he's been in a slump. Maybe

he's recovering from both. Let's hope so.

Marvin will come around. It might be just for one game

that he's off. Might be several. As long as Atlanta

is winning, we can afford one player being in a funk.

Just can't win with two or three players off.

Quote:

Watching the game last night really emphasized our need for 3 pt shooting. Marvin needs to become a legit 3 pt threat to really reach his potential because he is so weak and clumsy he will always have problems finishing inside.

I think eventually Marvin will develop a 3 point shot. Every year he seems to take another step back on his jumpers and maintain a high % shooting them. Most of his shots he takes this year are ~2-3 feet in front of the 3 point line. If he could take a step back we would have our solution but as of right now he can't.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with Marvin missing dunks like that as long as he is going aggresively to the rim. I thought he played hard last night, I think he was just a little over-amped because of who we were playing. I think the missed dunk and the missed layup on the drive to the basket early bothered him and he let it affect his focus. That happens with young players. In addition, I think his bruised thigh is still bothering him quite a bit even though he is playing through it.

The reality is that there will be VERY few nights when ALL of our guys play well and last night was not Marvin's night. The good thing is that Smoove, JJ, Horf and T Lue were all simply outstanding last night while Marvin was not good at all and Chillz was not quite as good as he normally is.

• Moderators

I'm not trying to be harsh on him because it is almost comical but he has missed more of these wild dunk attempts than he has made. Which I guess is to be expected with 'wild' attempts. I'm still just amazed by the out of control nature of some of his drives.

He is showing a great first step consistently though. I'm not going to knock him for open jumpers not falling but when you miss a bunch of layups and dunks I yell at the screen.

One of things that has recently impressed me about Marvin is his pressence in interviews. No longer am I hearing a scared kid; instead, I am hearing a young MAN who has his own ideas and beliefs. That maturity will transfer to the court soon. Whomever said that the game is still a little too fast for MW is right. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see more games in the last 1/3 of the season like the one in Seattle from MW.

MW is too easy going and he defers too much. I would like to see him demand the damn ball in crtical times of the game.

I'd rather see Marvin miss a ferocious dunk attempt than miss an open jumper. He's not settling for the jumper as much, which is getting him to the charity stripe (where he is valuable). I just think he still relies on getting a call instead of trying to actually score. Anyway I hope he stays aggressive.

Quote:

Marvins jumping ability is pretty average and he is clumsy. Last night he was a train wreck.

We agree. One of the things I'm most surprised with is the fact that MW hasn't extended his shooting range to the 3 pt line. I felt like that was supposed to be a given. Now I doubt even that.

W

Quote:

I don't want to start another war but more as a light hearted discussion. When is Marvin going to realize that he may WANT to dunk it over 5 guys while jumping from outside the lane but he CAN'T!

Damn man, have a plan before you wind that thing up and realize you can't reach the rim.
doh.gif

He had a crappy game. It happens, we won.

Yeah he did that two games in a row. Let's hope he's not starting any bad habits.

But seriously let's not be too hard on the guy, he was averaging 21/6 over a 5 game span before that game

And he did knock down a couple jumpers to take himself out the funk in the 2nd half