Billy Knight Resigns

ATLien_

Well, it is unlike Billy to resign, but I expected a change to be made after the owners blocked his attempt to fire Mike Woodson. It will be interesting to see what transpires after this.

To me, it is looking like Mike Woodson will be kept, which probably means an in house promotion of Gary Fitzsimmons.

Billy did an excellent job in Atlanta though, and he will find a job very easily. He will probably be New York's GM under Donnie Walsh.

Quote:

I guess it was resign or be fired, his choice. Let us hope Woodson follows BK's lead.

I think this means the end of Woody too. When a new GM is hired; he will want to hire his own coach. I'm not one to revel in someones failure, but I must admit I'm glad they will both be gone.

Quote:

To me, it is looking like Mike Woodson will be kept, which probably means an in house promotion of Gary Fitzsimmons.

What a disaster. How is it Woodson can get the owners to eat out of his hand, but he can't get Smoove to stop shooting 3s?

Quote:

Quote:

What a disaster. How is it Woodson can get the owners to eat out of his hand, but he can't get Smoove to stop shooting 3s?

I'm still holding out hope that Mike Fratello will be the Hawks head coach. I'd even offer him the type of power that Greg Popovich has in San Antonio. Bring Fratello on as the Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations/Head Coach and let him bring on his own General Manager to handle the day to day operations while he concentrates on coaching.

Outside of Mike Fratello and a few other veteran coaches, it doesn't make much sense to me to dump Mike Woodson if all we can get is another first time head coach. I will say that I do agree that if they hire a GM from outside the organization, he should be allowed to hire his own coach -- which will probably be an assistant from somewhere.

• Admin

Quote:

I hope not. Its time for Mike to move on. He is not the right coach for this franchise.

Quote:

Quote:

I guess it was resign or be fired, his choice. Let us hope Woodson follows BK's lead.

I think this means the end of Woody too. When a new GM is hired; he will want to hire his on coach. I'm not one to revel in someones failure, but I must admit I'm glad they will both be gone.

I agree. This feels like winnning game 6 all over again.

Quote:

WOW!

I didn't think Knight had a resign Gene in him!

He may have resigned after knowing that Woody would be retained AND after being assured by Donnie Walsh that he would find him a job with the Knicks. Not saying BK becomes their GM, but I do think he will have a role in the Knicks front office. Resigning early allows him to potentially start doing some things on the down-low for Walsh, like studying prospective draft picks.

I can't imagine any scenario where BK would have resigned unless he was told that Woody will be back next year. As much as I have defended Woody that thought still worries me since he does have plenty of flaws as a coach, but it seems pretty logical to me that Woody will be back and we will promote the new GM from within.