• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lamar Odom

Chaze

The Los Angeles Lakers have retracted an offer to Lamar Odom, saying that talks to re-sign the free agent have stalled.

Lakers public relations director John Black said the team had taken the offer off the table in the past two days.

"There are specifics behind why we pulled it, but that's not something we're going to get into," Black said.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Lakers owner Jerry Buss had offered Odom two deals. One was worth $36 million for four years and the other was for $10 million a season for three years.

Odom, who will turn 30 in November, made $14.1 million this past season.

Black said talks with Odom's agent Jeff Schwartz have been on and off.

"We haven't heard from him in the past few days and talks have not been consistent," Black said.

Odom played a key role off the bench in the Lakers' championship run. He averaged 12.3 points and 9.1 rebounds during the playoffs.

Now we need to go after Lamar Odom and give him that ten million and get another cheap player

Well we did just get cash considerations. We have the money I would bet. Give him 2 yr. 18mill. I would love to have him. He would be a huge upgrade.

The down side is we give up a lot of money. We probably wouldn't resign Marvin. He takes Smith or Horford's spot. He is getting older.

I say skip him. Lets just land 2 big man that bang and give us quality minutes off the bench. I would rather sign Marv anyway.

Well we did just get cash considerations. We have the money I would bet. Give him 2 yr. 18mill. I would love to have him. He would be a huge upgrade.

The down side is we give up a lot of money. We probably wouldn't resign Marvin. He takes Smith or Horford's spot. He is getting older.

I say skip him. Lets just land 2 big man that bang and give us quality minutes off the bench. I would rather sign Marv anyway.

The guys only 29 hes not old lol

Well if there is a team with a trade exemption large enough to fit Marv with a sure lottery pick next year as trade comp we can send Marv off and get Odom. Hmmm whats that other team that plays in LA again? Although if we are getting Odom it would prolly make more sense to trade Smoove for the unprotected lottery pick than Marv. Although I think Smoove makes too much for the Clips exemption.

Edited by NJHAWK

Three to four years ago, I would have been all over getting Lamar Odom in Atlanta. In fact, I believe I was for getting Odom back when we had Jason Terry, because I felt Odom's abilty to be a point foward would have been a great compliment to Jason Terry.

Now, I'm not as intrigued with the possibility. I think he would fit in well, and I like the ability to play both small forward and power forward. At his age and for the money, I would pass though. Yes, he's 29 years old, but he has a lot of miles on that 29 year old body.

• Admin

The guys only 29 hes not old lol

He is very talented, he is unselfish and a good chemistry player. I would love for us to have him. Cap situation would not allow that to happen though. I read that he might be interested in going back to Miami. I hope not because I think that really improves the Heat. I hope he stays in the western conference.

He is very talented, he is unselfish and a good chemistry player. I would love for us to have him. Cap situation would not allow that to happen though. I read that he might be interested in going back to Miami. I hope not because I think that really improves the Heat. I hope he stays in the western conference.

Good points and agreed 100% KB. He is a nice player to have. We have no where near the cap space to sign him and he does need to stay out west!

The thing with Odom is..he's arguably the most skilled/talented player behind LeBron James, but he just doesn't play up to his skills every night. If you've got a problem with Marvin not taking over, then wait until Lamar gets here.

Good attempt Mr H. Too bad80% of the board is either too lazy to read or too dumb to comprehend what they read.

I post this every day. They are even too lazy or too dumb to comprehend the simple words below.

All we have is the mid level exception (MLE is around $5.6 mill) to spend on other team's FA.

It is not legal, under the NBA's rules in the CBA, for teams to spend over the cap to sign other team's free agents. That means it is not legal for us to offer Odom $10 mill even if the owners wanted to. The NBA would not allow it !

Chaze, and others, why is that so hard for you to understand ?

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I think Odom says that stupidest things at the most stupid of times.

He has made the declaration that he only wants to play for a team close to the BEACH.

Let's see:

Lakers, Clippers, Heat, ... uhm... Nets? Warriors?

Why would any player limit themselves like that in the middle of negotiations?

For that reason, I can't cosign on bringing Odom in. Not even in a SNT for Marvin.

I think Odom says that stupidest things at the most stupid of times.

He has made the declaration that he only wants to play for a team close to the BEACH.

Let's see:

Lakers, Clippers, Heat, ... uhm... Nets? Warriors?

Why would any player limit themselves like that in the middle of negotiations?

For that reason, I can't cosign on bringing Odom in. Not even in a SNT for Marvin.

Keep the back of his truck filled with candy and he will be fine, lol.

Good attempt Mr H. Too bad80% of the board is either too lazy to read or too dumb to comprehend what they read.

I post this every day. They are even too lazy or too dumb to comprehend the simple words below.

All we have is the mid level exception (MLE is around $5.6 mill) to spend on other team's FA.

It is not legal, under the NBA's rules in the CBA, for teams to spend over the cap to sign other team's free agents. That means it is not legal for us to offer Odom $10 mill even if the owners wanted to. The NBA would not allow it !

Chaze, and others, why is that so hard for you to understand ?

Perhaps he meant signing Odom instead of Marv?

Perhaps he meant signing Odom instead of Marv?

We understand what he meant but him and others need to understand that just because we can pay Marvin a contract average of 8 mill a year does not mean we can pay anyone 8 mill a year.

• Moderators

We understand what he meant but him and others need to understand that just because we can pay Marvin a contract average of 8 mill a year does not mean we can pay anyone 8 mill a year.

And to extend this out, we affirmatively cannot sign anyone to a contract for more than the MLE unless they are our own player and we have bird or similar rights on them allowing us to exceed the cap.

So it is:

An offer up to the MLE

or

A S&T deal that works under the cap (which means that it almost surely doesn't involve Marvin Williams or any of our BYC players).