• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Smith be better?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Supposedly Josh Smith has been working out with Steve Smith.

Smitty had a decent back down game. He also had a good shot from midrange and outside.

F Josh Smith is working out a bit closer to home this summer. Rather than bolting for his usual spot in Houston, where he's worked out with legends like Calvin Murphy and Hakeem Olajuwon, Smith opted for a spot in his old high school gymnasium. He's been doing a one-on-one tutorial with former Hawks star Steve Smith, no relation, who still resides in Atlanta. If the elder Smith can polish some of the rough edges of the younger Smith's game, particularly his face-up skills and post game, the Hawks will be the beneficiaries of all that hard work. 79//2009

• Admin

I really wish Joe Johnson would work with Smitty on his post up game.

Joe probably has the best post game on the team.

I am glad Steve is working with Josh. I hope that some of his game will rub off on him. I hope Smitty works with some of the other guys too.

• Premium Member

I am glad Steve is working with Josh. I hope that some of his game will rub off on him. I hope Smitty works with some of the other guys too.

When Smith used to call Hawks games, he was vocal about the way that Smoove wastes shots. Hopefully, he's working on Smoove's back to the basket game!!!

Meanwhile, it's good that Horf works with Mark Price, but he also needs to learn big man footwork. Where's Charles Barkley when you need him?

• Premium Member

That seems to contradict the reports that Smith has been out of the country. I think it was in the Teague interview where said he hasn't been able to meet Josh Smith yet because he's been out of the country.

maybe he went to Alabama?

That seems to contradict the reports that Smith has been out of the country. I think it was in the Teague interview where said he hasn't been able to meet Josh Smith yet because he's been out of the country.

I think i read somewhere before. that Josh was out of the country during the draft, on some kind of adidas tour.

Also Teague said he went back to Indy after the press conference.

getting a.....what??

Edited by gsuteke

• Premium Member

I think i read somewhere before. that Josh was out of the country during the draft, on some kind of adidas tour.

Also Teague said he went back to Indy after the press conference.

my bad.... I should not have asked.

Nobody should have asked, nobody should have answered, and nobody should have brought it up in the 1st place!
Edited by gsuteke

Me, too. Working with winners like Steve helps you a lot more than with losers like Woody. I totally disagree about Joe. He posts up, like once a month. Smoove however, goes there at least 4 times a game, usually making a few. He has some creativity as well. Certainly more than Joe, imo. He's getting better and seems to really be working on it. Joe on the other hand...

It's nice to see it's Steve Smith working with him. He actually watches Hawks games and he actually knows what Josh Smith's weaknesses are.

Agree with this. Unlike working with the guys in Houston, Smitty is intimately aware of his strengths and weaknesses and can lay it all out straight. This may be his best teacher so far.

Agree with this. Unlike working with the guys in Houston, Smitty is intimately aware of his strengths and weaknesses and can lay it all out straight. This may be his best teacher so far.

Not me! I absolutely DO NOT want a guard teaching Smith how to play, even though I respect Smitty and think he had a terrific game I'd MUCH rather see Josh working with Dream or any other big man and teaching him to score in the post.

*Disclaimer - unless they are planning not keeping Marvin and moving Smith to the 3 in which case he needs to improve his outside game by leaps and bounds.

Not me! I absolutely DO NOT want a guard teaching Smith how to play, even though I respect Smitty and think he had a terrific game I'd MUCH rather see Josh working with Dream or any other big man and teaching him to score in the post.

*Disclaimer - unless they are planning not keeping Marvin and moving Smith to the 3 in which case he needs to improve his outside game by leaps and bounds.

I think the greatest impact working with Steve will have on Josh is with his mental approach to the game, which in my opinion is the most important area for Smith to work on.

Yeah we really saw the results of him spending the summer working with the Dream and Murphy in Houston!!!! People you can't teach skill. You bring skills with you when you come into the league and those skills are sharpened. Nothing will change just like when he worked with the dream. Name one change in his game that came out of that. Go ahead and name just one!!! Josh smith's game is 85 % athleticism 15% skill. We need to teach him how to use is athletic ability to the fullest because he will never be a smart player. He should be working with Kevin Willis or Tyrone Hill this summer not a guard.