• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yahoo.com: Marvin Williams resigns with Atlanta

MrNique

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Smoove is worth $58M but Marvin is not worth $40M because Smoove scored 1.7 more ppg, grabbed 1 more rbg, got 1 more bpg and 1 more apg? Yeah, right! :questions:

And shoots the ball significantly worse than Marvin. Not to mention that Marvin plays more within the team concept than Josh.

• Premium Member

Surprised it happened so quickly, I thought it would get drawn out.

One theory would suggest that, in actuality, the initial reports that this was done 3 weeks ago were correct, but that it wasn't until the market dried up with the Blazers'

Andre Miller move that Marvin and his agent were willing to move on it.

Surprised it happened so quickly, I thought it would get drawn out.

no kidding. given how long it seemed to get smoove resigned. josh and marvin are both great young players that are signed for the next 4/5 years. they will surely only get better as they begin to enter their primes, and they are BOTH signed for under $20 million. that is a good cap situation to be in for the future of this team.

no kidding. given how long it seemed to get smoove resigned. josh and marvin are both great young players that are signed for the next 4/5 years. they will surely only get better as they begin to enter their primes, and they are BOTH signed for under $20 million. that is a good cap situation to be in for the future of this team.

And don't forget that Horford, Teague, and even Zaza are all very young as well.

We have made good moves this offseason:

1. We didn't let any core players walk. We kept our young guys here and have a good base to continue to build on.

2. We didn't over-pay to keep anyone here. Say what you want, but we kept the salaries within reason.

3. We got rid of dead weight and parlayed it into depth and good bench scoring.

4. We drafted a PG who so far is getting rave reviews.

We have managed to keep players on the up-slope of their careers and shown that we are willing to spend a couple bucks. I still see no downside here.

Adds/Keeps: Marvin, Zaza, Crawford, Teague, Bibby

Losses: Speedy, Acie, Solo, Flip

Or should we have tried to break the bank on a 45 year old Rasheed or a 10mpg player like Gortat? My goodness...getting something good back for the Speedy/Acie poo-poo platter deserves a nobel prize!

Anyone who thinks we took a step back is just looking for things to complain about.

And don't forget that Horford, Teague, and even Zaza are all very young as well.

Horf, Teague, Marv, Smith, Zaza...all under 25 I believe? Or is Zaza like 40 and his birth certs were faked?

I am glad to have Marvin back, and I advocated paying him 40 over 5 years. BUT...

Now that its done, the reality that our cap situation is QUICKLY running out of wiggle room is sinking in. I think we have a 50-50 chance at best to sign JJ...if we do sign JJ then how can we afford Horford? And if we don't sign JJ for whatever reason, will we be able to hold on to the #4 hole? I guess we have a whole season to ponder.

Regardless, I'm glad that we'll have Marvin and Josh together for the next four years (barring trades). I think they have the most promise on our lineup of becoming all-stars. If either one can raise their game...or should I say, if Woody's offense allowed them to raise their games, I think we would have a shot at #3 or better.

I am glad to have Marvin back, and I advocated paying him 40 over 5 years. BUT...

Now that its done, the reality that our cap situation is QUICKLY running out of wiggle room is sinking in. I think we have a 50-50 chance at best to sign JJ...if we do sign JJ then how can we afford Horford? And if we don't sign JJ for whatever reason, will we be able to hold on to the #4 hole? I guess we have a whole season to ponder.

Regardless, I'm glad that we'll have Marvin and Josh together for the next four years (barring trades). I think they have the most promise on our lineup of becoming all-stars. If either one can raise their game...or should I say, if Woody's offense allowed them to raise their games, I think we would have a shot at #3 or better.

As long as we are competing for a championship the Spirit have said that they will go over the luxury tax to keep the team together so let's just hope that we continue to improve and force them to keep the team together.

I've got an easy solution. Buy tickets.

I'm also very happy we locked Marv for another 5... He's a solid player already, and so far he has shown nothin' but a steady progress year in and year out... I honestly believe that he'll be 20ppg, 7rpg, 4apg player! It's just the matter of time and the role he's given...

P.S. However, given this years FA market, I was hoping for contract in the ballpark of 33-35 mil/per... Anyway...

• Premium Member

We have made good moves this offseason:

1. We didn't let any core players walk. We kept our young guys here and have a good base to continue to build on.

2. We didn't over-pay to keep anyone here. Say what you want, but we kept the salaries within reason.

3. We got rid of dead weight and parlayed it into depth and good bench scoring.

4. We drafted a PG who so far is getting rave reviews.

We have managed to keep players on the up-slope of their careers and shown that we are willing to spend a couple bucks. I still see no downside here.

Adds/Keeps: Marvin, Zaza, Crawford, Teague, Bibby

Losses: Speedy, Acie, Solo, Flip

Or should we have tried to break the bank on a 45 year old Rasheed or a 10mpg player like Gortat? My goodness...getting something good back for the Speedy/Acie poo-poo platter deserves a nobel prize!

Anyone who thinks we took a step back is just looking for things to complain about.

Well said!!!!

Well said!!!!

Co-sign, as well.

Great to get Marvin back in the fold.

IMO, Joe Smith will sign once Marvin signs his deal.

If the Hawks get Joe S depth will be good and we are still right there with the other teams in the upper part of the East.

So glad its a official with Marvin. At 6'9'' , 240 lbs he is what made our team "long and atheletic." If you start either Mo Evans or Jamall Crawford in his place we become a very small team.

I am pumped for the season !

Joe Smith would be a nice cherry on top of a wonderful off season by Sund.

I was hoping it would be for $35 or $37.50, but $40 is definitely within reason.

Seems like everyone involved - players, staff and management - really wants to keep the core intact and add as opportunities come along. There is something to be said for stability, as long as it doesn't lead to complacency.

I was hoping it would be for $35 or $37.50, but $40 is definitely within reason.

Seems like everyone involved - players, staff and management - really wants to keep the core intact and add as opportunities come along. There is something to be said for stability, as long as it doesn't lead to complacency.

When you keep in mind that a full MLE deal this year was 5 years for $34M, we did great. They are saying the contract is actually guaranteed at $37.5M with incentives that can push to $40.

We still have a ton of room under the tax (about $9M by my count) and we can easily afford to resign JJ if that's what we choose to do. The combination of financial and basketball moves this summer have been stellar, in my opinion. I still wish we had DA here, but at least we'll get to see what we're missing.