• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If NOT Woody... Who?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

If you believe that Woody's contract should NOT be renewed by ASG this summer, WHO is the Hawksquawk-consensus head coach that will make this team a superior product on both ends of the floor in 2010-2011? He/she will have to be available... and will have to be somebody the ASG is willing to pay for. Seems like we want an offense-oriented coach, an X's and O's coach, an effective young-player-development coach... but who is this coach?

Assume that every major Hawk is back: Joe returns and Bibby, Zaza, and Marvin are not encouraged to spend their summer improving their motorcycling skillz. If there is a decision from ASG to go in the oft-dreaded "new direction," hopefully a decision could be reached before NBA Draft time rolls around.

With NBA-TV and TNT under one Midtown roof, we've got a town full of former and wannabe coaches, biding time as "commentators..." and persistently critical of the Hawks' strategic shortcomings at every given opportunity. The alternatives to Woody are now easier to find and lure, but it's harder to say any one candidate has the tools to take the Hawks to the proverbial "next level" of title contention.

~lw3

• Premium Member

At this point I'll take Harry the Hawk.

Alfred E. Neuman.

In all seriousness, though, my top pick would be Portland assistant Monty Williams. He basically head coached the team for a few weeks this year while McMillan was recovering from his torn achilles tendon, and he did damned well. If he isn't available for whatever reason, Ty Corbin in Utah might be worth considering too.

Among vet head coaches who are currently jobless, I'm not optimistic. I'm not a big fan of Avery Johnson or Byron Scott, though both would be an improvement over what we have now. My guess is that guys like Fratello and Hubie Brown are thoroughly uninterested. Hell no to Jeff Van Gundy and Doug Collins.

Former players who I'd take a look at would be Sam Cassell, Steve Smith, and Eric Snow (not necessarily in that order).

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

If you believe that Woody's contract should NOT be renewed by ASG this summer, WHO is the Hawksquawk-consensus head coach that will make this team a superior product on both ends of the floor in 2010-2011? He/she will have to be available... and will have to be somebody the ASG is willing to pay for. Seems like we want an offense-oriented coach, an X's and O's coach, an effective young-player-development coach... but who is this coach?

Assume that every major Hawk is back: Joe returns and Bibby, Zaza, and Marvin are not encouraged to spend their summer improving their motorcycling skillz. If there is a decision from ASG to go in the oft-dreaded "new direction," hopefully a decision could be reached before NBA Draft time rolls around.

With NBA-TV and TNT under one Midtown roof, we've got a town full of former and wannabe coaches, biding time as "commentators..." and persistently critical of the Hawks' strategic shortcomings at every given opportunity. The alternatives to Woody are now easier to find and lure, but it's harder to say any one candidate has the tools to take the Hawks to the proverbial "next level" of title contention.

~lw3

I would want somebody who has been there before. Somebody who knows Xs and Os. Somebody who can motivate players.

1. Avery Johnson. = Championship player, Good Coach who came up under a good system. Took his team to the finals.

2. Byron Scott = Championship player, Good Coach who has taken his team to a few finals appearances.

3. Sam Mitchell 2007 COY. Winningest coach in Toronto History. Student of the game.

4. Del Harris. Always one of my favorites. Good coach.. but old.

These are not in any particular order, just in order of thought. I lean towards Mitchell because of his ability to develop.

Alfred E. Neuman.

In all seriousness, though, my top pick would be Portland assistant Monty Williams. He basically head coached the team for a few weeks this year while McMillan was recovering from his torn achilles tendon, and he did damned well. If he isn't available for whatever reason, Ty Corbin in Utah might be worth considering too.

Among vet head coaches who are currently jobless, I'm not optimistic. I'm not a big fan of Avery Johnson or Byron Scott, though both would be an improvement over what we have now. My guess is that guys like Fratello and Hubie Brown are thoroughly uninterested. Hell no to Jeff Van Gundy and Doug Collins.

Former players who I'd take a look at would be Sam Cassell, Steve Smith, and Eric Snow (not necessarily in that order).

byron scott or avery johnson....anyone?

Mike Fratello please. I like Woody but I don't think he gets the most out of, not only, our players but the assistant coaches as well. How in the world do you Mark Price on your bench and still not be able to establish an offensive system, especially in the halfcourt, that defines and maximizes the role of our players? A system that also allows rookies and developmental players to play organized as a team when certain options aren't available to them or be able to them. How come we don't have these with Woody looking at the pedigree of our staff.

You can get any choice of coach you want, you STILL have to have the personnel with the skill set to run the offense. The lack of a low post scoring option on this team kills us when our shot isn't falling or can't get to the FT line.

All I have to say is . . . look at Roy Williams and North Carolina this year. Roy is a great coach . . but look at Carolina's record.

Think about it. Just about every close game we've won this year, especially on offense, has been due to JJ, Crawford, or Bibby hitting a big outside shot. Smoove and Horford have won games on the defensive end for us, but not on offense.

• Premium Member

There is no point in bringing in an unproven head coach. If we replace Woody, it is imperative that we go for a proven commodity.

Fratello, Avery Johnson, Van Gundy, Byron Scott, Del Harris...

I WISH we could have got Adelman. I thought it was a no-brainer when he went on the market. Pretty disappointed we didn't get him at the time...

• Premium Member

I would want somebody who has been there before. Somebody who knows Xs and Os. Somebody who can motivate players.

1. Avery Johnson. = Championship player, Good Coach who came up under a good system. Took his team to the finals.

2. Byron Scott = Championship player, Good Coach who has taken his team to a few finals appearances.

3. Sam Mitchell 2007 COY. Winningest coach in Toronto History. Student of the game.

4. Del Harris. Always one of my favorites. Good coach.. but old.

These are not in any particular order, just in order of thought. I lean towards Mitchell because of his ability to develop.

fixed