New Hawks head coach candidate

Hoopsterino

It's pretty clear there will be a new HC in a few short weeks, the proccess starting perhaps as early as Tuesday AM.

Question:

What kind of head coach do you want to see ??

1) Older, experienced guy with a firm bluster style.

2) Easy going older guy.

3) Young NBA assistant type..............with some chile pepper "moxie".

4) Younger serious "class room" type.

5) A successful college coach, transferring to the NBA.

Didn't Sund hire McMillan in Seattle?

My gut right now tells me Tyrone Corbin and I think that would be a solid solution. I just don't know how good of an X's and O's type of guy he is. But he's learned under Jerry Sloan so you know he is going to bring discipline and willingness to play rookies. Woodson on the other hand learned from Larry Brown, notorious for destroying rookies and relying heavily on a few select players.

Tom Thibodeaux out of Boston would be a great pickup

I know everybody considers him a re-tread but I'd love to give Del Harris a chance with this squad; why not Byron Scott?

Anybody but Woodson.... or Lawrence Frank... or Tim "The Unmitigated Disaster" Floyd...

• Premium Member

Didn't Sund hire McMillan in Seattle?

My gut right now tells me Tyrone Corbin and I think that would be a solid solution. I just don't know how good of an X's and O's type of guy he is. But he's learned under Jerry Sloan so you know he is going to bring discipline and willingness to play rookies. Woodson on the other hand learned from Larry Brown, notorious for destroying rookies and relying heavily on a few select players.

Depends on how much Ty learned. Mike Brown learned from Greg Popovich. Clearly he didn't pick up much of value.

The talent and the balance of the roster is more of an issue, than the coaching is. Without a decent PG to run the show here, that can get guys ( especially our interior people ) easy looks, we're going to have the same problem. And if we don't add more quality size on the frontline ( preferably at center ), we're going to have the same problem.

I know everybody is concerned about the offense, but we keep losing these games defensively. We switch , , , they killed us. We didn't switch . . . they killed us. We mix and match matchups . . they still killed us.

we

have

personnel

issues

Changing coaches is fine. Definitely do that before blowing up the entire roster. But this roster has been overrated from the jump. WE need serious talent upgrades across the board, and people who can do a particular thing very well.

- Teague will probably get his shot at PG, but we don't know if he's the long term answer. Regardless, we need a penetrating floor leader who can create his own offense, and create for others.

- We don't have a sharpshooter who can knock down open shots ( ala a Korver or anyone of that sort ). Mo Evans used to be that, but he can't shoot anymore. Marvin used to be able to do that from 21 feet, but he can't do that anymore either. Bibby has pretty much served in that role for 2 years, but he's the dang PG.

- We really don't have a slasher on this team who can get to the hole and draw fouls. ( was hoping that could be Marvin, but that hasn't panned out. Crawford is the defacto slasher . . but he's more of a slash and jumpshot guy, rather than a slash to the rim guy. Smoove also slashes, to a certain extent. But we need a guy who could do it on a regular basis )

- We don't have a defensive center.

- We don't have a reliable low post scorer ( although Horford is getting better, and may become that on those occasions in which he's allowed to play PF )

So changing coaches is fine. But we need to balance out this roster with players who can do certain things well to compliment other people.

North, agree with you wholeheartedly (except for the fact that our offense has been a major problem during these playoffs. We can't score worth crap 2 out of 3 games against ORL so far).

As much as I want Woodson replaced with a bona fide upgrade, we just as badly need to add significant talent upgrades across the board.

We need a legit starting PG (Bibby is no longer that). Maybe Teague will get his shot--especially under a new coach.

Someone to possibly fill the SG position left vacant by a possibly departing JJ. If Crawford does so, our bench becomes instant trash.

A better backup C than Zaza who can rebound and defend.

Marvin Williams...how disappointing.

A backup PG that can play strong defense.

Some quality bench players that can slash, get to the FT line, rebound, and score the basketball.

This team needs a good bit before it can seriously contend. Sund, this offseason is VERY important. If done right, even if we lose JJ, we can still play a shade better than .500. If done on the cheap or incorrectly, we will be thrust back to the dark ages of just a few years ago as we perennially contended for worst team in our division and conference.

Edited by TheTruth

North, agree with you wholeheartedly (except for the fact that our offense has been a major problem during these playoffs. We can't score worth crap 2 out of 3 games against ORL so far).

As much as I want Woodson replaced with a bona fide upgrade, we just as badly need to add significant talent upgrades across the board.

We need a legit starting PG (Bibby is no longer that). Maybe Teague will get his shot--especially under a new coach.

Someone to possibly fill the SG position left vacant by a possibly departing JJ. If Crawford does so, our bench becomes instant trash.

A better backup C than Zaza who can rebound and defend.

Marvin Williams...how disappointing.

A backup PG that can play strong defense.

Some quality bench players that can slash, get to the FT line, rebound, and score the basketball.

This team needs a good bit before it can seriously contend. Sund, this offseason is VERY important. If done right, even if we lose JJ, we can still play a shade better than .500. If done on the cheap or incorrectly, we will be thrust back to the dark ages of just a few years ago as we perennially contended for worst team in our division and conference.

I would like to have Patrick Ewing who can help develop the bigs, Bryon Scott who can help Jeff Teague and avery johson

Edited by DJKadafi

• Premium Member

It's pretty clear there will be a new HC in a few short weeks, the proccess starting perhaps as early as Tuesday AM.

Question:

What kind of head coach do you want to see ??

1) Older, experienced guy with a firm bluster style.

2) Easy going older guy.

3) Young NBA assistant type..............with some chile pepper "moxie".

4) Younger serious "class room" type.

5) A successful college coach, transferring to the NBA.

I would say a tight ship guy who has experience and knows offense.

• Premium Member

What do y'all think of Avery Johnson ....................the "Little General" ???

Offense.................................and MORE offense.

I think aside from Doc Rivers triumphant return back to atlanta,

Johnson is probably our guy.

I don't want an assistant like DaWayne Casey.

I would take an experienced guy like Terry Stott but he would not come here.

I love Del Harris.. and everybody knows my feeling about Paul Westhead.

Avery Johnson! Please I beg you Hawks front office!!!!!!!!!

Avery Johnson would demand (and get) respect. He played at Southern University (an historically black college) and was coached by the legendary

Ben Jobe.

My guess is that he would demand/require that management would get a fast and effective PG before he took the job.

He has a pretty good gig now - but I think he would love a situation like this. It would be a tribute to his mentor.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Avery Johnson would demand (and get) respect. He played at Southern University (an historically black college) and was coached by the legendary

Ben Jobe.

My guess is that he would demand/require that management would get a fast and effective PG before he took the job.

He has a pretty good gig now - but I think he would love a situation like this. It would be a tribute to his mentor.

Amen.

He is intelligent, articulate, knows NBA ball inside and out and yes......................would demand IMMEDIATE respect.....................and receive it.

• Moderators

Agreed but if that process hasn't already started then Sund needs to get on the ball. The Woodson era is ended. I would thank him for his years with the team and announce that a new voice will be brought in to this team and then search out that upgrade. The next hire is very important.

• Premium Member

Agreed but if that process hasn't already started then Sund needs to get on the ball. The Woodson era is ended. I would thank him for his years with the team and announce that a new voice will be brought in to this team and then search out that upgrade. The next hire is very important.

While a change seems in order and I would agree that Woody has probably accomplished all that can likely be accomplished under his direction, I've read all of the ideas here and just don't think any of them are likely to have gotten much more out of this roster than Woody has. Important point to the Avery lovers in particular: You don't "demand" respect at this level, you have to have earned it. And there are just a very few coaches in the league whose personalities, coaching skills, and resume are ALL strong enough to take this roster beyond where it is right now. I don't even see Doc Rivers as being a match, even though he has a championship ring. Of course, it makes it a little harder to project when we have been so exposed in the playoffs by a lack of defense at PG and C... change either of those up so that we have some stronger capacity there, and perhaps it changes the picture dramatically, I dunno. But I think a new coach has to have some experience as the head guy for some team that, at minimum, took his team to the Finals. But beyond that, he has to have a big personality and, yes, I agree, has to bring a rep as a strong x and o's guy on both sides of the court, not just one. I've racked my brain, but really cannot think of anyone as being the perfect head coach for us at this stage.

My choices would be:

A) Avery Johnson....by far #1 in my book

B) Jeff Van Gundy..a few years ago I woulda said heck no, but he would bring a prepared club to the floor nightly

C) Byron Scott...Did great in NJ and NO