• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Breaking News: WOODY IS GONE

GameTime

That is not in Sund's nature to make a move this fast. Four days? Recall how long he took with negotiations between Zaza, Bibby, and Smoove. Not to mention Childress is still waiting, and if you remember Ray Allen a few years ago that dragged on a lot longer than it should have.

Sund is notoriously patient. There are others within the organization that are impatient. I find it hard to believe Sund would be this fast given his past negotiations/decisions. Although Woodson was never really Sund's coach so it is possible that he never wanted him in the first place. The timing of the action is what puzzles me.

The timing was probably connected to several issues:

1) Ownership not wanting Woodson around

2) Woodson FA period beginning Monday

3) It was ethical to go ahead and part ways now so Woodson isn't flapping in the breeze. I didn't like the guy as a HC, but he deserves to be treated properly

4) Sund may already have the replacement guy lined up and wanted to clear the space so he can do interviews.

Woody, the one thing that this fan base CANNOT take away from you, is that it was YOU who had a hand in making this franchise relevant again. You maybe couldn't take us to championship level, but then again, no coach in Atlanta Hawk history hasn't been able to do it either. So thanks for being a part of the organization for the last 6 years. When NO ONE wanted this coaching job, you took it. And kept a level head throughout all of the ownership BS.

Good luck wherever you go Woody. And thanks.

This song is dedicated to you.

• Like 2

Damn I meant Jeff VAn Gundy

I don't want Jeff Van Gundy anywhere near this team. He thinks that Woodson did a good job and said that the Hawks just maxed out with their talent. If he's not smart enough to realize that Woodson maxed out as a coach and that he didn't get the max from this team, then he's not smart enough to be the head coach of this team.

• Like 1

That's exactly what is happening, IMO.

Woody may have another offer...

If Woody has another offer that shouldn't affect Sund's decision. Sund has to decide if he wants to attempt to resign Woody or let him go, knowing that Woody has an offer out there shouldn't affect that decision because its not like Sund has to do Woody any favors.

Aside from this, what has Sund done fast with the Hawks? I don't know if anyone could say the Crawford trade, Sund and the Warriors were just quiet with their discussions and no one knows how long they had discussion. All the free agent decisions have dragged on longer than what most on this board would like to see. Of course I am excited to see Woody go like the rest of the board, but the timing doesn't match up well with how Sund has normally made decisions in the past unless I am forgetting something.

Thanks Woody. You and BK got us out of the doldrums. Im not happy about this and wish some of the players on this team were held accountable but I guess its just easier and lazier to fire the coach, oh wait they didnt even have to do that. I guess Mike Gearon had enough of the Woodster. :angry22:

Edited by NJHAWK

The timing was probably connected to several issues:

1) Ownership not wanting Woodson around

2) Woodson FA period beginning Monday

3) It was ethical to go ahead and part ways now so Woodson isn't flapping in the breeze. I didn't like the guy as a HC, but he deserves to be treated properly

4) Sund may already have the replacement guy lined up and wanted to clear the space so he can do interviews.

I can see 1 and 2. To me 3 should only matter if Sund has made up his mind. Whether or not that issue is present in a decision, you still need to make a decision. Its irrelevant, 3 doesn't drive your decision its just a way to justify your decision.

And as for 4, do you really think Sund has moved fast enough to already have a listing of replacements ready? When in the past has he ever shown to be a fast mover? I did think of one case, he quickly matched Josh Smith's offer sheet. Of course an offer sheet essentially has a timer on it, while this decision doesn't really have a timer on it. If Sund isn't constrained by time, he tends to take all the time in the world to make a decision.

• Premium Member

Aside from this, what has Sund done fast with the Hawks? I don't know if anyone could say the Crawford trade, Sund and the Warriors were just quiet with their discussions and no one knows how long they had discussion. All the free agent decisions have dragged on longer than what most on this board would like to see. Of course I am excited to see Woody go like the rest of the board, but the timing doesn't match up well with how Sund has normally made decisions in the past unless I am forgetting something.

That is true of a majority of NBA transactions. The deals that are first discussed on Day 1 and finalized on Day 3 are the exception, not the rule.

Sund does tend to take his time a bit more, but it's not as if he's been caught standing still more often than not. Bibby and Zaza were wrapped up almost as soon as the free agent period started last year, and Marvin's deal was "sketched out" weeks before it was finalized.

Edited by niremetal

That is true of a majority of NBA transactions. The deals that are first discussed on Day 1 and finalized on Day 3 are the exception, not the rule.

Are you referring to trades or contract negotiations? And which way are you implying, that in general transactions take a long time or very little time?

Even though he did a good job advancing us with wins in the regular season a coaches performance is highly judged based on their playoffs. He couldn't cut it. If this team ever wants to advance past the 2nd round they needed to cut him. Good move. We may not be as good next year but I never liked him. He was a very stubborn coach and played favorites.