• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horf Expects Joe will Stay in The A

lethalweapon3

This is why professional athletes try to be so politicaly correct in their interviews, because when they actually say whats on their mind people get all upset. I don't blame Al one bit for wanting to play PF, thats the position he can most succeed at.

• Like 2

Al's comments could have very easily been directed towards Marvin also. You have to get rebounds from both your forward postions. And lets not kid ourselves, Marvin has not held his own on the glass. True, we need a true five. But the fact of the matter is, they are hard to come by and the few teams that have them are not giving them away for free.

• Moderators

I don't see in the article where Al says he wants to move to a full-time PF. I do see that he wants more help up front which could be as "simple" as getting a big to take a few more minutes or getting a PF that will have more impact on the boards and on interior D (i.e., the aspects of interior D other than help-side shot blocking). I'd have more problem with him demanding to start at PF than saying we need more of an interior presence on the roster.

making excuses for AL again I see, At the end of the day: Al needs to learn what STFU means, he's no star, and hasn't accomplished anything in this league or earned the right to call anyone out. Not like he played lights out in the playoffs either..

Take everything you just said and apply it to Smoove arguing with refs for 30 minutes a game.

• Like 2

I don't see in the article where Al says he wants to move to a full-time PF. I do see that he wants more help up front which could be as "simple" as getting a big to take a few more minutes or getting a PF that will have more impact on the boards and on interior D (i.e., the aspects of interior D other than help-side shot blocking). I'd have more problem with him demanding to start at PF than saying we need more of an interior presence on the roster.

+1

• Premium Member

It looks to me if we don't have a legitimate center by the trade deadline next season, Al will be doing a RFA Joe Johnson-type move next summer.

Al's been my secret question for two years now: does he want to stay here? He puts in a lot of effort and hustle and everyone in the world knows he's a natural PF forced to play center. What if a team gave him a chance as a RFA to move to PF?

In terms of the "help" that Al is refering to I think it is pretty obvious that what the team needs is a burly bench player that can handle some of the guys that Smoove and Horford can't handle because they are both undersized for their position. The team needs someone like Kendrick Perkins to bring off the bench to handle the Dwight Howard's of the world. That or they need to trade one of Smith or Horford if they want to be something other than a playoff also ran. They could also use someone who can score in the post.

Maybe Teague can become the type of penetrating point guard the team has needed for 6 years now - the type that can get into the paint and dish to take advantage of the Hawks mobile undersized big men.

Al's been my secret question for two years now: does he want to stay here? He puts in a lot of effort and hustle and everyone in the world knows he's a natural PF forced to play center. What if a team gave him a chance as a RFA to move to PF?

I think the ASG values Horf enough to match offers. Would not surpise me one bit if they signed Horf, when the time comes, to at least what JJ got back when he was RFA.

Yes jsmoove fan, he will be making more than Smoove.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I think the ASG values Horf enough to match offers. Would not surpise me one bit if they signed Horf, when the time comes, to at least what JJ got back when he was RFA.

Yes jsmoove fan, he will be making more than Smoove.

I'll be honest if I was Horf I'd wait until I was a UFA and go play PF somewhere else.

• Premium Member

He's more or less calling out zaza. Probably would like them to sign haywood to back up so he could play 70% center and 30% power forward.

doubt it. Zaza is his #1 road dog

Al's comments could have very easily been directed towards Marvin also. You have to get rebounds from both your forward postions. And lets not kid ourselves, Marvin has not held his own on the glass. True, we need a true five. But the fact of the matter is, they are hard to come by and the few teams that have them are not giving them away for free.

What ?

Marvin is a better then average rebounder at the SF position.

Marvin averaged 5.1 rpg in only 30 minutes last year.

In 08-09 he averaged 6.3 rebounds in 34 minutes.

Rebounding is not a problem for Marvin.

I'll be honest if I was Horf I'd wait until I was a UFA and go play PF somewhere else.

That will be 5 or 6 years from now.

Edited by coachx

Anybody like the sound of

Smoove (and maybe Mo Evans to make salaries work)

for

Rudy Gay & Thabeet

I know Thabeet is raw, but it will at least show Horford that we're getting him help on the way so that he will want to stay here.

If JJ stays, we will have Craw and Marvin both coming off the bench and both can play 2 positions effectively.

Edited by warcore

• Premium Member

Anybody like the sound of

Smoove (and maybe Mo Evans to make salaries work)

for

Rudy Gay & Thabeet

I know Thabeet is raw, but it will at least show Horford that we're getting him help on the way so that he will want to stay here.

If JJ stays, we will have Craw and Marvin both coming off the bench and both can play 2 positions effectively.

Nice idea, but don't know if that would happen. As a side note, looking for a center who's a better player than Horford is pointless. The Hawks need a center who has the size and ability to defend and rebound at that position with little help. Essentially, someone who's a better fit at center and not necessarily a better player. I think your trade idea is the right type of thinking though.

Edited by Jody23

Nice idea, but don't know if that would happen. As a side note, looking for a center who's a better player than Horford is pointless. The Hawks need a center who has the size and ability to defend and rebound at that position with little help. Essentially, someone who's a better fit at center and not necessarily a better player. I think your trade idea is the right type of thinking though.

Kurt_Thomas_posing.jpg

"We need another guy to come in and help me out"

Comments like this makes Horford sound self-centered and arrogant. I wonder what the reaction would be if Smoove made a similar comment.

Smoove would be crucified for saying something like that lol. But I think a Brendan Haywood would help us greatly. Zaza really doesn't get the job done for us against the big boys