• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horf Expects Joe will Stay in The A

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

Boys I think there's a big hint in the riddle you're trying to solve in what Sekou said to one of us in an e-mail awhile back... that ASG had to decide if they wanted this team to be Joe's or Smoove/Horf's.

The other thing I noticed throughout the season is how rare it was for JJ or Crawford to find one another for an assist... sure, they're both scorers, but I put that together with how they seemed to act in interviews, and I almost never heard Joe give any props to Crawford... the only time I recall he did was after Crawford's shot beat the Suns, and it was more of an emotional moment thing.

I've concluded for myself that the Joe/Smoove relationship was the primary source of conflict, and that Joe quietly didn't much like Crawford either. And I've concluded for myself that Joe would be much more open to returning if he didn't feel like he was competing with Smoove and Crawford for attention.

I could be all wrong, but that's how it looks to me, a total outsider.

• Moderators

I could see a PF-C rotation in this order...

Josh-Al

Al-"BigC"

Josh-"BigC"

Josh-Zaza

Al-Zaza

...and distributing the minutes however we want depending on the matchups. Al insisting on another big doesn't have to mean an 82-game starter replacing Josh, and certainly doesn't mean moving Josh is a necessity.

~lw3

• Premium Member

Boys I think there's a big hint in the riddle you're trying to solve in what Sekou said to one of us in an e-mail awhile back... that ASG had to decide if they wanted this team to be Joe's or Smoove/Horf's.

The other thing I noticed throughout the season is how rare it was for JJ or Crawford to find one another for an assist... sure, they're both scorers, but I put that together with how they seemed to act in interviews, and I almost never heard Joe give any props to Crawford... the only time I recall he did was after Crawford's shot beat the Suns, and it was more of an emotional moment thing.

I've concluded for myself that the Joe/Smoove relationship was the primary source of conflict, and that Joe quietly didn't much like Crawford either. And I've concluded for myself that Joe would be much more open to returning if he didn't feel like he was competing with Smoove and Crawford for attention.

I just find it odd that Al is the only player making these types of statements in the media.

I have looked at that angle also. It seems if to believe, Al's slant is to side with Joe. With this, Chillz return and Jordan can make Jamal and "the Smooze move agenda" plausable with Joe signed.

It really seems that Sund has a Lot of options to make significant changes. Jamal's 10 mil expiring is huge.

Edited by Swatguy

• Premium Member

I just find it odd that Al is the only player making these types of statements in the media.

Agreed, but I also tend to look at everything else we know about Al, and he just seems, otherwise, to get along with everyone so well, and always has going back to his Florida days.

That's why I think it's an honest comment intended to publicly admit that the players know what all the fans know... that the team is getting beat up by Orlando and by the Howard factor specifically, and that if that doesn't get solved, this team's going nowhere. Sure, Smoove could take offense to it, and ZaZa definitely could... but they know the truth of Horf's statements, so I think they understand the context.

Don't miss the point, too, that of the three, Horf's the one in the position that would normally attract the greatest criticism--ie, that he's not up to the task of guarding Howard. There is a sense in his words that, "I admit I'm not good enough against certain All-Stars, and we need someone else who can give me some help."

• Moderators

Is Tyson Chandler a possibility? At first glance he'd be crazy to opt out with the Cats, but he may be weighing taking $12.6 mill this season and butkis post-CBA, versus securing something around the MLE with a contender for 4 or 5 more seasons.

~lw3

• Premium Member

Agreed, but I also tend to look at everything else we know about Al, and he just seems, otherwise, to get along with everyone so well, and always has going back to his Florida days.

That's why I think it's an honest comment intended to publicly admit that the players know what all the fans know... that the team is getting beat up by Orlando and by the Howard factor specifically, and that if that doesn't get solved, this team's going nowhere. Sure, Smoove could take offense to it, and ZaZa definitely could... but they know the truth of Horf's statements, so I think they understand the context.

Don't miss the point, too, that of the three, Horf's the one in the position that would normally attract the greatest criticism--ie, that he's not up to the task of guarding Howard. There is a sense in his words that, "I admit I'm not good enough against certain All-Stars, and we need someone else who can give me some help."

I think what Al is saying is consistent with his other comments this offseason. He wants to play the 4. I don't think he's saying he's not good enough, but rather that he could be more effective with "legitimate" big men and a move to his natural position.

Who's a big body we could get that would help us now? There's limited guys out there. Our best trading chips (if Joe re-signs) would be Smoove, Crawford, Horford, and Evans. Getting a big name like Bosh or Stoudamire would probably help us offensively, but I don't know if it'll help defensively since both of them are like Al, a PF or undersized C. Dampier for Crawford and Evans works, but we'd be getting fleeced on that deal IMO.

I think Al is a honest guy and a leader. His comments are honest and an obvious appraisal of one of our teams needs. By not calling anyone out he stayed away from throwing anyone under the bus.

"I haven't talked to him about that,

pretty much speaks volumes about this article. he hasn't spoken to his all-star teammate of years to see if will stay or not. odd or is joe just anti-social? i think both actually.

JJ will not be here but I hope ownership listens to Al preach about getting another big.

• Premium Member

The main point of that article sounds to me like he wants Smoove moved for a center :camera2:

I read that too. In my mind, I started to conjure up possibilities. I mean, Josh Smith for Chris Kaman works.

Who's a big body we could get that would help us now? There's limited guys out there. Our best trading chips (if Joe re-signs) would be Smoove, Crawford, Horford, and Evans. Getting a big name like Bosh or Stoudamire would probably help us offensively, but I don't know if it'll help defensively since both of them are like Al, a PF or undersized C. Dampier for Crawford and Evans works, but we'd be getting fleeced on that deal IMO.

Ideally Horf would probably like us to trade Smoove for Amare/Jefferson/Bosh and pick up Kurt Thomas IMO. Horf has admitted again and again that he is not a C and doesn't want to be one.

Edited by GameTime

I feel that he is talking about Smoove as well.

I think its blatantly obvious hes talking about Smoove and I believe that as CoachX mentioned about confronting a teammate who didnt run back on defense in the locker room that Bibby,Al,Joe and everyone else confronted Smoove about it and he just blew them off.

Ive mentioned before that when Josh wants to be Rodman he is a force to be reckoned with in the NBA but when he decides he wants to be Pippen he is a trainwreck waiting to happen . I believe that not making the all star team while Joe and Al did has affected him and thats why I dont think that we can keep him and bring back JJ. Smoove is like Artest he has to be on a team where there is no debate about who the alpha is .

• Like 1

Chris Bosh has made it clear he does not want to play center. I'll applaud Al Horford for taking the same stance as he knows he could be more effective playing his natural position.

Al Jefferson for Josh Smith works, but does Minny think Kevin Love can play Center?

Diesel tried to say the same thing back in early March, and I flat out proved this to be a gross misconception. I even broke it down game by game. I think it was the 10 games after the All-Star break. The truth was that the only person JJ tossed more assists to than Crawford, was Josh Smith.