• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jason Collins expects to resign with hawks!

JTB

LAS VEGAS -- Atlanta is expected to end up re-signing center Jason Collins.

Sources said Sunday at the NBA Summer League nothing is imminent due to the free agent currently being in Europe. But expectations are he eventually will re-sign after his return later this week, and it would figure to be a minimum deal worth $1.229 million.

Collins, 31, averaged just 0.7 points and 0.4 rebounds in 24 games in 2009-10, his first season with Atlanta. But the Hawks like his locker-room presence, and his 7-foot, 255-pound frame provides plenty of size, if needed.

Excluding second-round pick Pape Sy, the Hawks have just 10 players under contract, meaning they must sign three more players to reach the NBA roster minimum of 13, and they're without much money to do it. Ownership doesn't want to exceed the luxury tax threshold of $70.307 million, and the Hawks are about $4 million shy.

Collins has nine-season NBA averages of 4.1 points and 2.7 rebounds. His twin brother, Jarron Collins, is also a free agent after playing last season with Phoenix.

Also on the final day of the NBA Summer League, sources confirmed a Cleveland Plain Dealer report that Minnesota is shopping guard Ramon Sessions (due $3.96 million next season) and forward Kosta Koufos (due $1.3 million), and the Cavaliers have interest in both. Sources said a deal with Cleveland could result in guard Delonte West going to the Timberwolves and then being waived since West's $4.6 million contract has only $500,000 of it guaranteed if he's waived by August 5.

The Cavaliers have a $14.5 million trade exception acquired in the LeBron James deal with Miami to facilitate possible trades.

Sources also named Cleveland as among the teams interested in free-agent guard Flip Murray. Murray is also said to be receiving interest from the Clippers and Chicago, which he played for last season.

And Mark Bartelstein, the agent for Lakers guard Shannon Brown, said by phone he's still talking with the Lakers about a possible return. But nothing is close enough yet to assure that.

"We're still talking, but there's nothing done,'' Bartelstein said.

On the court, the NBA Summer League Most Outstanding Player was Washington guard John Wall, the No. 1 pick in the draft. He averaged 23.5 points and 7.8 assists.

Chris Tomasson can be reached at tomasson@fanhouse.com or on Twitter@christomasson

Read More: Bulls Cavaliers Clippers Hawks Lakers Timberwolves NBA Free Agents 2010+NBA+Free+Agents, Delonte+West, Flip+Murray, Jason+Collins, Kosta+Koufos, Ramon+Sessions, Shannon+Brown

link:http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/18/jason-collins-expected-to-re-sign-with-atlanta/

Edited by JTB

well this could be worst being we dont have alot of money.........actually i think collins can be effective if given more time during the season.....last year he hadnt played a whole lot during the season then in the playoffs was expected to guard howard! this guy needs to play and i actually i think he will be fine if he is thrown in alot more than usual! an when i say thrown in, im meaning that we play him some good minutes off the bench like we would have done shaq if he was here. hell it might just come to that even though i know many of you will disagree!LOL

• Like 1

No, respect, but the Jason Collins needs to workout. One night he took off his warm-ups, I did not see anything that looked remotely close to a muscle. Hopefully, he will be more effective under LD because he was just a bench warmer this year, and he seemed quite satified with it.