• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks lose

DrReality

Too many Hawks stayed home for this game.

Some nagging injuries, some not yet well injuries and one out with the flu (MW)

Still, it was nice to get some playing time for all the rest of 'em.

---------- Braves behind right now ---------- How about them Falcons!

GO HAWKS!!!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Admin

Jordan Crawford scores 20, 7 assist and 3 TO. Great stat line in the loss.

I was encouraged to see Powell and Thomas get some burn. They seemed to play well as did JC2. I am hoping he is gaining confidence and can contribute for our team if JC1 gets shipped out.

• Moderators

Joe's TO numbers will go up quite a bit, particularly if his recipients have hands of stone, are out of position, and/or remain in "Oh, crap, Iso-Joe actually passed the ball!" mode. Newcomers Etan and J-Pow mixed it up but appear to have quite a ways to go. Poor offensive effort coming out of the halftime break appeared to have doomed them yet again.

On Marvin, what's the typical recovery time for strep throat (i.e., will he be able to play by Saturday?)

~lw3

• Premium Member

Joe's TO numbers will go up quite a bit, particularly if his recipients have hands of stone,

~lw3

Smoove had 5 assist to Joe's 2 and had no turnovers. Wonder why players can catch Josh's passes without any problems but their hands turn to stone when Joe passes the ball to the same players?

• Premium Member

Jordan Crawford scores 20, 7 assist and 3 TO. Great stat line in the loss.

This is just preseason, but I continue to be impressed by JC2. He has a way to go, but he's got some nice offensive tools and the right mentality to get the most out of those tools. He does not play like a kid who thinks he should've been drafted late in the first round. I think the scouting department got this one right.

• Premium Member

We actually did OK considering were on the road and were without many key players

Just observing the stats, 0-8 combined for Zaza and Etan. I think we have to put our fellows in a position to be a scoring threat.

While Joe's turnovers are up coming into a new offense, you have to be impressed with his scoring efficiency!!

7-10 from the field, 3-3 from three.

That tells me that in LD's offense, if Joe is not dominating the ball, he is going to be a force. He's a stat filler who can fill every stat line there. We just have to get another scorer for Joe to play off of. Maybe it's Horf. We've been playing Horf very frugally and he's been giving decent returns. It seems that Josh hasn't found his way yet, but he's not shooting from outside and an uptempo game should benefit him the most.

As fans, I think we should be patient. There are going to be some growing pains. However, as we become healthy and can put everyone on the floor, I think we have too much talent. What we see in LD's system is that ball movement can lead to better scoring. Especially in Joe's case. The more talented players we have available, the more impactful our offense will be.

I'm encouraged.

• Premium Member

Just observing the stats, 0-8 combined for Zaza and Etan. I think we have to put our fellows in a position to be a scoring threat.

While Joe's turnovers are up coming into a new offense, you have to be impressed with his scoring efficiency!!

7-10 from the field, 3-3 from three.

Joe needs to stop turning the ball over. He is doing so at an alarming rate..More than anybody else on the team. Scoring is nice but turnovers loses games. I know that Joe is god to you because of scoring but other aspects of his game needs to improve starting with taking care of the basket ball.

Edited by Peoriabird

• Moderators

Smoove had 5 assist to Joe's 2 and had no turnovers. Wonder why players can catch Josh's passes without any problems but their hands turn to stone when Joe passes the ball to the same players?

Wonder no more!

Smoove is a secondary (tertiary?) passer in this offense, and is more likely to pass while at a standing and/or back-to-the basket position, supporting kickouts to guards already on his side of the floor and short passes to Al, whereas Joe gets to pass while driving to the hoop and drawing defenders, limiting his passing lanes. Degree of difficulty will be higher for Joe's recipients than Josh's. But don't worry, Smoove will get his lion's share of TOs too (you can refer to Preseason Game 1 for a sample), but more likely from dribbling in/near the post than from passing.

~lw3

• Like 1

As fans, I think we should be patient. There are going to be some growing pains. However, as we become healthy and can put everyone on the floor, I think we have too much talent. What we see in LD's system is that ball movement can lead to better scoring. Especially in Joe's case. The more talented players we have available, the more impactful our offense will be.

I'm encouraged.

That's what the fans were told about 7 years ago.... THERE WILL BE GROWING PAINS.

7 years later... There is still growing pains.

They just got their tails whipped by Washington.

• Premium Member

Joe needs to stop turning the ball over. He is doing so at an alarming rate..More than anybody else on the team. Scoring is nice but turnovers loses games. I know that Joe is god to you because of scoring but other aspects of his game needs to improve starting with taking care of the basket ball.

Who cares about Joe's turnovers in preseason? He has been one of the least turnover prone go to guys in the NBA the last three seasons while ranking at the very top in assists among SGs. Last season he averaged a minuscule 1.9 turnovers. Are you seriously insinuating that three preseason games are a better predictor for Joe Johnson's 2010-11 campaign than the last 200 + regular season games? Regardless of our "changes" on offense Joe Johnson won't stop being Joe Johnson, the dude averages 2.2 turnovers for his career, to assume TO's will suddenly become a problem is pretty ridiculous at this juncture... Anyway, if our pre-season performances do indeed illustrate what we'll be seeing in the regular season I'm thinking Joe's turnovers will be amongst the least of our worries.

You won't be seeing a bring Woody Back thread out of me- but "be careful what you wish for" is a definite possibility. I have always found it amazing that Woodson got absolutely no credit for how much production he was able to get out of these players. People thought he was the worst coach in the league and that anyone would be able to do better. Time will tell.

• Moderators

As if on cue, he's sitting in on NBA Gametime. Not saying anything outside of mumble talking but at least we got a Woody sighting.

That was an extra treat to see him with D3 over at NBA-TV's studio on Techwood. I don't recall him uttering one significant word during the ATL-WAS highlights. Or one significant word during the whole program, for that matter. He looked like he was sinking under the desk.

I think it's safe to say that we won't be seeing him as a TV personality. Not unless he acquires, like, a personality.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1