• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Josh Smith Trade Rumors Thread

Guest Squawker

Guest Squawker

With the extension to Hordford, the Hawks will be very close to the luxury tax which means if we decide to keep guys like Marvin and Smith through next year we wont be able to re-sign Jamal or sign someone of his caliber and salary. So i think the best thing to do would be trade Smith. Even though he is definitely a force on the court, i dont think he flows well with our offense. It seems like he misses all his post ups and only gets dunks and then his free throws are just horrible. Also he is taking those long jumpers again. So i think its in the Hawks benefit to trade him and get someone who will click with this offense. Or maybe another defensive minded guy who can just post up or shoot jumpers. What are your thoughts?

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

With the extension to Hordford, the Hawks will be very close to the luxury tax which means if we decide to keep guys like Marvin and Smith through next year we wont be able to re-sign Jamal or sign someone of his caliber and salary. So i think the best thing to do would be trade Smith. Even though he is definitely a force on the court, i dont think he flows well with our offense. It seems like he misses all his post ups and only gets dunks and then his free throws are just horrible. Also he is taking those long jumpers again. So i think its in the Hawks benefit to trade him and get someone who will click with this offense. Or maybe another defensive minded guy who can just post up or shoot jumpers. What are your thoughts?

I think at this point what we need most of all is an answer at PG. And, sure, listen to trade offers for Jamal and Josh, but realize it's unlikely that you'll get the return than you want. Trades mean you have to take back salary normally.....those who argue we have to trade high priced players to stay away from the tax don't really get how this thing works. If you want to back away from the tax, you have to let guys walk or trade with teams who are under the cap (do any of those even exist anymore?) for draft picks. And we are at the point of development that we can't afford to wait on draft picks for help.

I wouldn't normally want to build a team around a system, but if you think we're married to this motion offense for a few years, what we need is a quick, defensively capable PG. We need to improve our defense more than anything right now. It starts at the point. With our offensive system, we can get away with a PG who may not be offensive star material. Who knows, maybe Teague is the guy. So far, I'm not sure of that at all. Wish we had J. Jack or somebody like that.

So Jamal is worth more than Smith now?

Come on man. Jamal is the one who didn't get the extension. He's the expendible one out of the two.

Between Jamal and Mo Evans, we have 12.5 or 12.6 million coming off the books. Depending on how Horford's contract is structured, he could make as little as 10 mill next year, or as much as over 14 mill ( if the Hawks frontload his contract )

( capologists . . please verify this please )

What we need to do, is find a legit center who can play up to 25 minutes a night, that could allow us to keep Smith and play Horford more at PF.

Just don't believe the national media, especialy Chad Ford, when they say something about the Hawks. The average username on Hawksquawk knows more about this team, than the average or above average national media guy.

Josh Smith isn't going anywhere, unless it's a trade for a superstar ( Carmelo Anthony ), or if Horford starts whining about want to play PF on a full time basis. Until either of these two things happen, Josh Smith will be a Hawk.

• Like 3

Wow plagiarism on this site is intense. nice job posting info you got from the "expert" Chad Ford's Blog. Chad Ford is a troll masquerading as an unbiased knowledgeable analyst. Then yet again the further I read into your post it seems your either the troll or you simply have zero knowledge about the Hawks, or anything for that matter. :write a letter: :magnifier: :camera2: :hush:

Come on man. Jamal is the one who didn't get the extension. He's the expendible one out of the two.

Between Jamal and Mo Evans, we have 12.5 or 12.6 million coming off the books. Depending on how Horford's contract is structured, he could make as little as 10 mill next year, or as much as over 14 mill ( if the Hawks frontload his contract )

What we need to do, is find a legit center who can play up to 25 minutes a night, that could allow us to keep Smith and play Horford more at PF.

Just don't believe the national media, especialy Chad Ford, when they say something about the Hawks. The average username on Hawksquawk knows more about this team, than the average or above average national media guy.

Josh Smith isn't going anywhere, unless it's a trade for a superstar ( Carmelo Anthony ), or if Horford starts whining about want to play PF on a full time basis. Until either of these two things happen, Josh Smith will be a Hawk.

I think with the new system Smith/Horford could work well especially with Collins in shape. But PG is a MAJOR issue. I will say it till I turn blue, Bibby is not going to cut it come the playoffs.

Jamal Crawford is a great scorer and he definitely helps us get into the top4 eastern seeds. But by next year, we'd only lose a few more games if all else stayed the same and we replaced Jamal with a much cheaper option such as Jordan Crawford if he pans out. Really Flip carried us to nearly as many wins as Jamal did/will. We can't afford so much money tied up into our shooting guards. We have to let Jamal go and use his money and then Bibby's later to keep together our core and sign more needed players.

• Premium Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/20975/hawks-next-move-wolves-feeling-love

Here are some notes I collected this weekend and this morning:

• Al Horford's five-year, $60 million extension came as a mild surprise to a number of GMs around the league on Monday. Clearly the Hawks love Horford and the toughness he brings to their front line, but can they really afford him after giving more than $100 million to Joe Johnson this summer?

Several GMs believe the Hawks won't be able to keep Johnson ($18.5 million in 2011-12), Josh Smith ($12.5 million in 2011-12), Marvin Williams ($8 million in 2011-12) and Horford ($12 million in 2011-12) together past this season for financial reasons.

While Horford's new salary won't push the Hawks into the luxury tax, it will put them very close. The move means they won't be able to afford to re-sign Jamal Crawford, or replace him with a similar salaried player next season, without incurring the tax.

That situation is already leading to speculation that GM Rick Sund may be forced to put Smith on the market soon. Sund briefly flirted with trading Smith last summer, before pulling back. While no one is claiming he's been made available yet, a number of GMs around the league expect his name to be in the mix by the February trade deadline.

Williams would be the Hawks' first choice to move, but he didn't get a lot of bites when he was available this summer. That could push them to see what they can get for Smith.

A number of teams, including the Knicks, Nets, Pistons and Suns, have shown interest in the high-flying forward in the past. It will be interesting to see if talks heat up as we get closer to February.

The extension for Horford (along with previous extensions for Kevin Durant and Joakim Noah) essentially takes away the three best restricted free agent prospects from the draft class of 2007.

Still, the restricted class is pretty strong. Greg Oden, Marc Gasol, Thaddeus Young, Rodney Stuckey, Jeff Green, Aaron Brooks, Mike Conley, Wilson Chandler, Brandan Wright, Arron Afflalo, Yi Jianlian and Marcus Thornton haven't received extensions as of Monday afternoon.

Typically restricted free agents struggle to get big offer sheets, and if they do, their team usually matches. But given the plethora of teams with major cap space this coming summer, that could change.

Rotoworld reports an interesting rumor:

"We don't like to blurb every bit of speculation we hear, since maybe 10 percent of it pans out, but the money details lend some credibility to what Ford is saying -- which is that the Hawks can't afford to keep him, Joe Johnson, and Horford. We've privately been hearing that a Kevin Love-Smith trade could be in the works, but again, all of this is speculation."

Kevin Love for Josh Smith?? Wow. I love me some Kevin Love and his boards and hustle but he's not a good low post defender and he'll continue the same problem of no real center if we still have Horford.

Don't shoot the messenger guys, I'm just tossing this out here since it is being speculated.

• Like 1

I like Kevin Love a lot but I can't envision trading Josh without getting a quality defensive center in return and I don't see anyone dying to trade someone like that.

I am holding out hope that we'll find a way to dump Marvin for a cheaper replacement SF. If we can't move him then I expect Jamal will be moved and that could very well be the case once JC2 starts getting some PT

Ford admits it is speculation, and i can't fault the logic. It will be interesting to see what pans out.

Smith and Horford both frustrate me for different reasons. I think i have already covered my main issue with Smith. In addition i can't stand seeing him lead the break trying to be Jason Kidd. I don't like his weak defensive rebounding either.

My problem with Horford is that he really isn't near his potential on offense. He keeps trying to back guys down which he sucks at. And he rarely tries to beat guys off the dribble which he does very well when he tries it. When he catches the ball quickly, faces up and drives quickly he beats his man almost every time.

On defense Horford frequently struggles with guys much bigger than him. I can't fault him for that, having had some experience guarding much bigger guys. it sucks.

If forced to choose between them it is not an easy call. Smith can be an incredible impact player but he can also be an incredible bonehead. Horford is a safer bet, but doesn't have Smiths upside. But after 6 years you really have to question if Smith will ever realize much of his upside. Tough call.

Edited by exodus

Kevin Love

Great rebounder.

Good Scorer.

Horrible defender. :temperature:

Agree. However, the powers that be on this team don't seem to care about defense at all. See their insatious desire to play Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford at the same time and the lack of any moves this offseason to improve the porous perimeter defense on this team. With that in mind, if there is legitimate interest in Kelvin Love, then it doesn't surprise me. What also doesn't surprise me is that Minnesota would trade him. Their GM is friggin insane. Yes, he is a below average defender, but he might be the best rebounder in basketball. He's averaging 18.7 rebounds/36 minutes so far this year.

We have that. His name is Zaza Pachulia, but for some reason, the Hawks don't seem to want to play him and Horford at the same time even though the combo has been very effective together over the past two years.

• Premium Member

I'd have to say no to trading away the ONLY consistent defensive presence we have in the paint. I'd rather keep these guys together if at all possible, but if you absolutley have to get rid of someone, Marv has to be the guy as I think his production could be easily replaced at a lower price. Maybe the rest of the league still see him as having potential. But count me in with the group that wants to keep these guys together. I just like the dynamic of this team right now. I think they are headed in the right direction with the motion offense. With more experience with the new offense and better defensive effort, this group can be very competitive with the Orlandos and Miamis out there for years to come. :cant believe:

• Like 1

Wow.....I'm lost for words, this is ridiculous!

• Like 1

Agree. However, the powers that be on this team don't seem to care about defense at all. See their insatious desire to play Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford at the same time and the lack of any moves this offseason to improve the porous perimeter defense on this team. With that in mind, if there is legitimate interest in Kelvin Love, then it doesn't surprise me. What also doesn't surprise me is that Minnesota would trade him. Their GM is friggin insane. Yes, he is a below average defender, but he might be the best rebounder in basketball. He's averaging 18.7 rebounds/36 minutes so far this year.

If they move Love it'll more likely be because of Rambis than Khan. Love and him have had a strained relationship from the get go.