• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague? PG of the Future?

DJlaysitup

Realgm article here:

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71303/20110124/teague_falling_out_of_atlantas_rotation/

Interesting note is this: Teague says he and LD haven't spoken "in awhile" which made me do a double take. Shouldn't Teague be getting individual coaching to help bring him along? Why in the world would a rookie head coach who used to be a NBA guard not even talk to a struggling second year point guard? It makes absolutely no sense.

As a head coach you don't have time to be instructing each individual player that's why they have so many assistants to help delegate their job for them. LD spent all last year and all summer working with Teague, building and talking him up to be the starter. He also brought in his former colleague Nick Van Exel to help get Teague's "dog" out yet he is still same ole same ole. How much more time do you expect LD to spend coddling Teague with him showing nothing in return while there's a whole team that needs running?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

As a head coach you don't have time to be instructing each individual player that's why they have so many assistants to help delegate their job for them. LD spent all last year and all summer working with Teague, building and talking him up to be the starter. He also brought in his former colleague Nick Van Exel to help get Teague's "dog" out yet he is still same ole same ole. How much more time do you expect LD to spend coddling Teague with him showing nothing in return while there's a whole team that needs running?

Coddling? Are you being serious? If someone is on your team you can talk to them let alone coach them up. I've coached little league, pee wee, middle school and church league basketball camps and teams and always found time to talk to each player. If LD isn't even talking to the guy then why even have him on the roster? What kind of coach is LD being by not even speaking to the players under him? Let's be real here no one can reasonably expect any player in any situation to succeed if the head coach doesn't even SPEAK to the player.

Coddling? Are you being serious? If someone is on your team you can talk to them let alone coach them up. I've coached little league, pee wee, middle school and church league basketball camps and teams and always found time to talk to each player. If LD isn't even talking to the guy then why even have him on the roster? What kind of coach is LD being by not even speaking to the players under him? Let's be real here no one can reasonably expect any player in any situation to succeed if the head coach doesn't even SPEAK to the player.

You didn't really address my post outside of taking one word and running with it. LD worked directly with Teague all last season as the coach of the second unit and worked all summer with Teague this season in Atlanta. As his job got more difficult and he would be unable to dedicate the same amount of time to Teague as before he brought in a guy that he trusted to continue working directly with him and act as an extension of what he was originally doing. You could easily say that Teague has received more individual attention than anyone else but has yet to produce. Nobody cares about your pee wee experiences, until you've coached professionals in a professional league that are expected to act and perform as such then all of that is moot. Plenty of coaches don't have direct individual contact with their players, this is not something unique to Drew it goes across many coaches in all professional leagues even down to the college level. Teague was given expectations both privately and publicly by Drew, the only thing he can expect to hear from him is that he is greatly disappointed.

• Premium Member

You didn't really address my post outside of taking one word and running with it. LD worked directly with Teague all last season as the coach of the second unit and worked all summer with Teague this season in Atlanta. As his job got more difficult and he would be unable to dedicate the same amount of time to Teague as before he brought in a guy that he trusted to continue working directly with him and act as an extension of what he was originally doing. You could easily say that Teague has received more individual attention than anyone else but has yet to produce. Nobody cares about your pee wee experiences, until you've coached professionals in a professional league that are expected to act and perform as such then all of that is moot. Plenty of coaches don't have direct individual contact with their players, this is not something unique to Drew it goes across many coaches in all professional leagues even down to the college level. Teague was given expectations both privately and publicly by Drew, the only thing he can expect to hear from him is that he is greatly disappointed.

I have never in my life heard of a professional coach who wouldn't talk to his own players esp. in the NBA when you have only thirteen to fifteen players MAXIMUM on a roster. You don't simply stop speaking let alone coaching and interacting with a player because you don't feel they are living up to expectations. That is precisely my point. Saying someone coached a summer league team one year and that somehow justifies not speaking or coaching a player after the fact is silliness defined.

I have never in my life heard of a professional coach who wouldn't talk to his own players esp. in the NBA when you have only thirteen to fifteen players MAXIMUM on a roster. You don't simply stop speaking let alone coaching and interacting with a player because you don't feel they are living up to expectations. That is precisely my point. Saying someone coached a summer league team one year and that somehow justifies not speaking or coaching a player after the fact is silliness defined.

Look at the same wiretap on RealGM. Kuester hasn't had contact with the veteran Rip Hamilton. How many times do you hear players talking about it was the coaches decision that they had no idea about what was going on. How many times have you heard about people asking the coaches about Carmelo and Lebron or Kobe and the coaches themselves talking about how they haven't spoken to them. Jeez man, it's time for you to get real. Just because it's a small roster doesn't mean every member get's an hour to themselves with the head guy. The head coach only speaks directly to you when there is an issue, you don't just get access to him however you see fit. It's whole point of the hierarchy and how you set the importance of the coaching staff. You are just going on and on while you are absolutely wrong about what's standard procedure in every league based on a guy saying "in awhile." Part of the criticism about hiring Drew was that he was the guy players would go to with all their problems and now that he's the head guy he wouldn't be able to be their friend anymore. Now you want to tell me that the players were just talking to Woody the whole time because there's only 15 of them? Then what was Drew's importance or connection all these years? How did he build the connections if guys just have access to the head guy all the time? Use logic, man and stop backing the wrong horse.

• Premium Member

Look at the same wiretap on RealGM. Kuester hasn't had contact with the veteran Rip Hamilton. How many times do you hear players talking about it was the coaches decision that they had no idea about what was going on. How many times have you heard about people asking the coaches about Carmelo and Lebron or Kobe and the coaches themselves talking about how they haven't spoken to them. Jeez man, it's time for you to get real. Just because it's a small roster doesn't mean every member get's an hour to themselves with the head guy. The head coach only speaks directly to you when there is an issue, you don't just get access to him however you see fit. It's whole point of the hierarchy and how you set the importance of the coaching staff. You are just going on and on while you are absolutely wrong about what's standard procedure in every league based on a guy saying "in awhile." Part of the criticism about hiring Drew was that he was the guy players would go to with all their problems and now that he's the head guy he wouldn't be able to be their friend anymore. Now you want to tell me that the players were just talking to Woody the whole time because there's only 15 of them? Then what was Drew's importance or connection all these years? How did he build the connections if guys just have access to the head guy all the time? Use logic, man and stop backing the wrong horse.

More silliness. You are trying to defend something that is indefensible. You, as a head coach, have to speak to your players. All of your players. I'm not suggesting they spend hours with each player but for a player to say he hasn't even spoken with his coach "in awhile"? C'mon now. That raises some red flags.

More silliness. You are trying to defend something that is indefensible. You, as a head coach, have to speak to your players. All of your players. I'm not suggesting they spend hours with each player but for a player to say he hasn't even spoken with his coach "in awhile"? C'mon now. That raises some red flags.

More along the lines of you are reading too much into a quote that said nothing but "awhile". So you are telling me LD locks Teague out of practice and team meetings? When he's in the game LD just walks back to the bench and doesn't say anything or call any plays? Teague hasn't heard LD's voice in months actually based on that quote or is it more likely that instead Teague is expecting LD to sit him down and explain in detail why he's been benched or playing minimal minutes. Hmm, whats more likely, player not hearing anything from a coach or complaining that they haven't heard what they wanted to hear from a coach. Run with your fantasy, Soth. Trust your instincts from rec league. l

• Premium Member

Has anyone considered the possibility that Teague was speaking contextually (ie "I haven't talked to my coach about my minutes lately," which is how I interpret it considering that he was being asked about his minutes) rather than literally ("I haven't talked to coach at all."). I mean, we know it isn't literally true because we know Drew told Teague to go to the scorer's table at least 8 times this month. Given the context of the interview, I suspect Teague just meant he hadn't talked to LD about his minutes, not that he hadn't talked to him at all.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Has anyone considered the possibility that Teague was speaking contextually (ie "I haven't talked to my coach about my minutes lately," which is how I interpret it considering that he was being asked about his minutes) rather than literally ("I haven't talked to coach at all."). I mean, we know it isn't literally true because we know Drew told Teague to go to the scorer's table at least 8 times this month. Given the context of the interview, I suspect Teague just meant he hadn't talked to LD about his minutes, not that he hadn't talked to him at all.

I'd +2 that if i could. I'm sure he's getting plenty of instruction. Just not a 'come to my office chat'

Bottom line he should be playing and I firmly believe he will have a major role on this team before the season's over. There is no one on the team that has his skills and you can't say that about Acie.

• Premium Member

More along the lines of you are reading too much into a quote that said nothing but "awhile". So you are telling me LD locks Teague out of practice and team meetings? When he's in the game LD just walks back to the bench and doesn't say anything or call any plays? Teague hasn't heard LD's voice in months actually based on that quote or is it more likely that instead Teague is expecting LD to sit him down and explain in detail why he's been benched or playing minimal minutes. Hmm, whats more likely, player not hearing anything from a coach or complaining that they haven't heard what they wanted to hear from a coach. Run with your fantasy, Soth. Trust your instincts from rec league. l

I didn't say he locked anyone out of practice. Please keep your ad hominem attacks to yourself. No matter what the context of the quote is the fact he hasn't heard from his own head coach either literally or in terms of his role to the team speaks to the same error in judgement from the coach's part. You can't let guys twist in the wind and not communicate with them.

To me, ONE of Teague's problems has been being a backup with Jamal Crawford. So much of what makes Jamal effective is having the ball, creating and being aggressive. And whenever they are on the court together it makes it hard for Teague to be productive, much less a PG.

Lets take a look at his best game of the season, against the Celtics without Joe and Jamal. He got 18/4/4 and was really aggressive. I haven't had the time to look at all the games that Jamal missed to see Teague's stats, but I think if given the opportunity to consistently get minutes at the backup PG we could see some real improvement. I think it would need to be alongside a more traditional SG than Jamal is.

• Moderators

As for the comparisons, here they all are in their second seasons:

Acie Law - Age 24 - 2nd Year

Rajon Rondo - Age 21 - 2nd Year

Jeff Teague - Age 22 - 2nd Year

Per 36 Minutes Glossary ▪ CSV ▪ PRE

Rk Player From To G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

1 Acie Law 2008 2009 111 7 1425 3.7 9.5 .391 0.4 1.6 .254 2.2 2.7 .806 0.5 2.5 2.9 5.0 1.0 0.1 2.1 2.9 10.0

2 Rajon Rondo 2007 2008 155 102 4137 4.7 10.1 .463 0.1 0.4 .229 2.0 3.1 .630 1.3 4.0 5.3 6.0 2.2 0.2 2.5 3.2 11.4

3 Jeff Teague 2010 2011 109 3 1169 4.4 10.8 .409 0.4 1.5 .250 2.3 2.8 .833 0.2 3.4 3.7 5.9 1.6 0.7 2.6 3.8 11.5

Advanced Glossary ▪ CSV ▪ PRE

Rk Player From To G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48

1 Acie Law 2008 2009 111 1425 8.9 .469 .412 1.5 7.9 4.7 21.6 1.5 0.2 16.7 16.4 98 112 -0.2 0.8 0.6 0.020

2 Rajon Rondo 2007 2008 155 4137 14.5 .498 .468 4.5 13.1 8.9 27.4 3.3 0.4 17.7 17.9 103 101 2.2 7.5 9.7 0.112

3 Jeff Teague 2010 2011 109 1169 11.7 .479 .426 0.8 11.1 6.0 24.8 2.4 1.5 17.8 18.9 97 105 -0.2 1.5 1.3 0.053

Rondo is clearly the best player of the bunch on a per-minute basis. Teague is 2nd and Acie is pulling up the rear. Rondo is the youngest of the group and Acie the most mature.

Should Teague go to the d-league to get some consistent minutes? I think if he blows up down there it will give him a world of confidence when he comes back to the NBA

No, but JC2 should. He barely plays anyway. As infrequently as Teague plays, he's still a backup PG for us that has a role in certain situations.

As for the nature of this topic, I used to support Teague so much because I liked his skills (sans his girlish shooting) and desperately wanted a PG to supplant Bibby. As it stands, Bibby will be our starting PG next year...and that thought scares me. The problem is, Teague hasn't proven much of anything consistently in the time he does get on the court. Should he be playing more? Yes. But do I think he will play a large role with us either this season or next? No I do not.

Is it too late for Teague to turn into something? Of course not. But there are just too many things he has to overcome (girlish shooting, can't finish at the rim, turnover prone, questionable defense, lack of true PG skills, lack of any offensive game) to become serviceable...much less the heir apparent to Bibby as "PG of the Future." Hell, he's not even our primary Backup PG of the Future...Jamal has that distinction right now.

...Rondo is clearly the best player of the bunch on a per-minute basis. Teague is 2nd and Acie is pulling up the rear. Rondo is the youngest of the group and Acie the most mature.

Yep AHF...I remember discussing if Rondo would be any good because he had a poor outside shot out of Kentucky.

Thing is - Rondo had a pretty decent "technical" shot - meaning he had good mechanics out of college...used his hands properly...and shot the ball at the height of his jump. Still - having big hands likely tended to squirt the ball around a bit.

Now to be fair..Rondo still isn't the guy I'd want on my fantasy three point shooting team...but since he had the proper style/mechanics he improved quickly with practice.

...and I'm sure somebody told him how many shots Larry Bird shot in practice - even though he was already one of the best shooters ever...might have made a point.

Edited by DJlaysitup