• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New MC article: Drew has ramped up the alarm even more

coachx

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/02/09/atlanta-hawks-larry-drew-says-lineup-change-trades-may-be-needed-to-disrupt-teams-comfort-zone/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

In the immediate aftermath of another home beatdown, L.D. sounded the alarm about the Hawks and said changes to his starting lineup may be in order.

But after sleeping on it, watching the game video and holding a team meeting this morning. . . well, L.D. basically turned up the volume on the alarm. He said he’s still looking at changing the starting lineup and added that a trade might be necessary before the Feb. 24 deadline to shake up the status-quo.

It seems that team meeting didn’t go as Drew had hoped

L.D. already has shown a willingness to be flexible with his lineup, sending out six different groups of starters when all of the candidates have been healthy. But if the right mix of players just isn’t on this roster, then it’s out of Drew’s hands and in the wheelhouse of Hawks GM Rick Sund, who has said he’s always looking to improve the team but isn’t interested in “lateral moves.”

The Hawks are a good team so a blockbuster deal isn’t necessarily in order. But Drew acknowledged there have been internal discussions about how to shore up the team’s weaknesses through the trade market.

Click the link to get the rest and give MC some traffic. There are plenty of good Drew quotes in there. MC is the best hawks beat writer yet. Sekou was a huge step up from the previous writer but this guy brings it like nothing we have had before !

Edited by coachx

http://blogs.ajc.com...fid=blogs_hawks

Click the link to get the rest and give MC some traffic. There are plenty of good Drew quotes in there. MC is the best hawks beat writer yet. Sekou was a huge step up from the previous writer but this guy brings it like nothing we have had before !

I agree about MC and really like that he's not afraid of stepping on any toes with what he writes!! As far as the Hawks making trades or shaking things up I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

Now this is getting interesting. If only for the sheer shock of it, I hope he puts Josh on the bench. Maybe start Crawford?

I'd start Teague just to see what happens when he plays with the regulars........and to send a message to the ASG / GM that help is needed at the PG position.

We already know what happens when Bibby starts.........we just pray his jumper is falling. Teague defense may be more consistent then Bibby's jumper if given the chance of playing consistent minutes. and gaining the swagger that Van Excel is trying to help him get. Any player will tell you both their game and confidence changes drastically when they get consistent playing time.

Now that is not the permanent remedy. That is just "rattling the cage" so to speak.

I'm hoping for a trade.......even a "lateral trade" to "rattle the cage."

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This is certainly refreshing... When is the last time we heard a coach putting it out there like this? Even if nothing happens, he's saying what needs to be said. What many of us have been saying since the summer...

Well Bibby hardly even shoots anymore. His past 5 games....against DAL he put up 4 shots, and went 1-4. Against TOR, he put up 9 shots, and went 2-9. Against LAC, he shot 6 times and went 0-6. Against WAS, 6 shots and went 2-6. And last night, 5 shots and went 2-5. And in that span, he's put up a not so grand total of 13 assists, so I'm not exactly sure *what* Mike Bibby is doing to help this team.

Edited by Seano

Yes! "blockbuster" (trading Smith/Horford/Johnson). Move to address weaknesses. Only one player can get us the value. Bye Jamal.

• Like 1

• Moderators

This is the point we've all been trying to make for 2.5 years. I hope he does something about it:

Drew didn’t sound like a coach who was simply ticked at his team for a bad loss. Rather, he sounded like a coach who has come to realize that sending out the same players in the same roles is good enough to be on pace for 52 Ws but isn’t going to lead to a much better ending for the Hawks than last spring.

• Like 2

LD is full of piss and vinegar. He can't even control Josh Smith how the heck does he have any juice to get a trade done?

Agree 100%. He'll say anything to appease the media and look like a disciplinarian. He'll get called to Sund's and/or Gearon's office. As soon as be sits down, they'll give him a long look and subtly shake their head. "Know your place." I've never heard a coach publicly announce the need for a trade, let alone on a winning team, even if it is obvious to a casual female basketball fan.

• Like 1

Agree 100%. He'll say anything to appease the media and look like a disciplinarian. He'll get called to Sund's and/or Gearon's office. As soon as be sits down, they'll give him a long look and subtly shake their head. "Know your place." I've never heard a coach publicly announce the need for a trade, let alone on a winning team, even if it is obvious to a casual female basketball fan.

Then you're not paying much attention as there are examples every year of coaches of the elite teams talking about the need to make a trade to improve their roster.

In fact, just yesterday Doc Rivers was quoted ...

Doc Rivers said yesterday that, depending on the length of Marquis Daniels’ absence, the team would look into adding another small forward. “We have to get another ‘three’ let’s just be serious,” Rivers told the Boston Globe. But me? I’m okay with Wafer. Not as a star, or even a starter, mind you. But filling Marquis Daniels’ spot, backing up Paul Pierce and playing 19.1 minutes per game? I can dig Wafer in that role.

• Like 1

Then you're not paying much attention as there are examples every year of coaches of the elite teams talking about the need to make a trade to improve their roster.

In fact, just yesterday Doc Rivers was quoted ...

I guess I meant in the context of replacing or demoting a central part of the team, not just signing a waiver guy or a 10 dayer because of injury. Then I guess I should say someone of Drew's "caliber" and prestige in the league.

• Moderators

I guess I meant in the context of replacing or demoting a central part of the team, not just signing a waiver guy or a 10 dayer because of injury. Then I guess I should say someone of Drew's "caliber" and prestige in the league.

February 1, 2011

Lakers Blog

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson says "door's open" for trades

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/02/lakers-coach-phil-phil-jackson-says-the-doors-open-for-business-as-far-as-trades-bynum-to-miss-tonig.html

• Like 1

Unlike others I find this as great news. I def dont believe it's just talk cause we have never heard Woodson even think about changing his lineups. I feel LD is telling the truth and plus I know he has a willingness to change his lineup without problem. Remember Jason Collins has actually started some games this year even when Marvin was healthy so he's not afraid to change anything. Dont be surprised if LD tries to get Sund and the ASG to make a trade. This is not Mike Woodson, LD knows that there needs to be a change somehow. So after this last game I expect Teague to get some serious PT cause throughout that whole interview last night LD mentioned dribble penetration several times! He knows bibby can keep up with these pg's anymore.

Im just saying unlike others I really believe LD is going to make some changes in his lineup no doubt. The thing is that, that doesnt mean the lineup changes is going to work. I mean the man can only work with what he is given. But let's give LD credit he has some BIG balls to say to the media that there are going to be lineup changes and maybe even trades! LD has some balls and it's about time somebody steps up to the ASG and even Sund if necessary! LD be heard Dammit! I love it!!!!!!

If no moves are made, we should go with

starters:Teague/Jamal/JJ/Josh/Al

bench: Bibby/Damien/Marvin/Zaza/Twin

Powell/JC2/Etan/Sy

Teague is our best pg(not saying much)

Jamal is our best 2 guard

JJ is our best sf

So why not make this our starting backcourt?

It's our only hope