• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Post-Mortem on Jordan Crawford

AHF

• Moderators

Since most of the complaining about the recent trade has centered on Jordan Crawford, I figured we could share our predictions for his future on here since it probably helps people understand why the trade may or may not be popular with some posters. Moreover, I have seen predictions like "losing Crawford will haunt us like missing out on Paul and Deron" or "Jordan Crawford will average 25 ppg in 2 years." So step up to the plate and share your opinions in a nice consolidated thread.

The focus of this thread is Jordan Crawford - not the trade.

My view on Crawford is that I think he has a reasonable chance of being a good bench scorer with an impact like Eddie House with a best-case outlook something like Nate Robinson-level impact. I also think there is a real chance he doesn't amount to much more than a Salim Stoudemire.

I never see him being more than a productive, valuable role player (i.e., he won't be a starter on a decent team unless it is filling space ala Keith Bogans).

(Thanks for the catch on the typo!)

Edited by AHF

When we drafted him I compared him to Voshon Lenoard......1 dimensional shooter / scorer who will max out at about 12 ppg.

I still stand by that.

AHF, your prediction of Eddie House sounds pretty good too. He may fall somewhere right in the middle of these 2.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I think he has potential because he's a good shooter and has good size. Salim was a streaky shooter and was too small for the nba. Hey apparently he's in the dleague? Is this Salim?

act_salim_stoudamire.jpg

Jordan should have gotten a little more of a chance i think. At least see if he could make Craw expendable but I'm assuming he had no D at all. I expect to hear from him somewhere. When you can shoot like that you're in good shape.

I think he has potential because he's a good shooter and has good size. Salim was a streaky shooter and was too small for the nba. Hey apparently he's in the dleague? Is this Salim?

act_salim_stoudamire.jpg

Jordan should have gotten a little more of a chance i think. At least see if he could make Craw expendable but I'm assuming he had no D at all. I expect to hear from him somewhere. When you can shoot like that you're in good shape.

I'm pretty sure that guy is on one of those Iraq / Afghan trading cards the military uses.

I hope that this comes back to bite me but I have a feeling that Crawford will end up being a very solid starter and will average 15+ PPG for a while.

• Moderators

Here are a few of the wildly varying opinions on last year's pick:

At worst [Jordan Crawford] is Jamal Crawford. AT WORST.

JC2 will be dropping 25-15-8 in 2,3 years..

big deal. craw2 will be lucky to put up childress numbers. he'll be playing in europe in the next 4 or 5 years.

hinrich is better than bibby, mo, craw2 and anyone we would've gotten with our late pick in a weak draft.

we just traded 2 nickles for a dime.

(In any analogy about trading money shouldn't Bibby be the "dime"?)

• Moderators

At worst he will give you what Flip gave us a couple of years ago before his 1st contract is up in 3 years.

Worst Case:

Per Game 12.2 ppg, .543 TS%, 2.1 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.1 spg

per 36 - 17.8 pp36, 3.1 rp36, 2.9 ap36, 1.6 sp36

14.7 PER, WS/48 0.076

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

I see him as the next Flip or Anthony Morrow

We already covered Flip:

Morrow - 12 ppg, 45.5% 3pt%, 88.5% ft%, 3.1 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.6 spg, .591 TS%

per 36 - 15.5 pp36, 3.5 rp36, 1.7 ap36, 0.8 sp36

PER 13.7, WS/48 0.089

Edited by AHF

I don't know how he will turn out. One big disappointment was I never really got to see him play very much. You would have thought there would at least be some games with enough garbage time for him to get out there, but (aside from some blowout losses) that never happened. At least, now while I was able to watch the game. I'd like to see him do well, so good luck to him.

I don't know how he will turn out. One big disappointment was I never really got to see him play very much. You would have thought there would at least be some games with enough garbage time for him to get out there, but (aside from some blowout losses) that never happened. At least, now while I was able to watch the game. I'd like to see him do well, so good luck to him.

Hell even in the blowout losses he barely got to play ... and that's saying something considering how many times we've been blown out this year.

Since most of the complaining about the recent trade has centered on Jordan Crawford, I figured we could share our predictions for his future on here since it probably helps people understand why the trade may or may not be popular with some posters. Moreover, I have seen predictions like "losing Crawford will haunt us like missing out on Paul and Deron" or "Jordan Crawford will average 25 ppg in 2 years." So step up to the plate and share your opinions in a nice consolidated thread.

The focus of this thread is Jordan Crawford - not the trade.

My view on Crawford is that I think he has a reasonable chance of being a good bench scorer with an impact like Eddie House with a best-case outlook something like Nate Robinson-level impact. I also think there is a real chance he doesn't amount to much more than a Salim Stoudemire.

I never see him being more than a productive, valuable role player (i.e., he won't be a starter on a decent team unless it is filling space ala Keith Bogans).

(Thanks for the catch on the typo!)

Funny you say that, because I've been comparing him to Salim as well. I feel he's very similar except with a worse shot and better handles. I wasn't that impressed with Jordan's skillset, he was undersized for a starting 2 (unless he made up for it with his skillset), and his shooting mechanics were not great. He just doesn't have what it takes to be a starter IMO.

He kind of reminds me of Ronnie Brewer (albeit being shorter). Regardless, I see his best case being 10 ppg off the bench.

(In any analogy about trading money shouldn't Bibby be the "dime"?)

lol....well with his lower level of play and pay from when he was with sactown, team dime has fallen along with the recession and is now team nickel.

i stand by my comments---his ceiling is josh childress hawks numbers if he sticks around on a bad team were he ever good enough to play extended minutes (peaking out at 12-13 ppg). lets not forget that even josh played 30 minutes a game his rookie year. oh, and for anyone who was missing chillz when he left, he is now averaging just over 5 ppg with phx, playing with steve nash no less.

start planning a european vacation soon if you want to watch him play in a few more years after his potential tag has been exhausted.

I don't feel that any late first rounder's floor should be Flip Murray. That's a pretty high floor, even for a lotto pick. Remember Luke Jackson, Dermarr Johnson, and Thabo Sefolosha were SG's taken in the lottery. I might lean more towards his ceiling being Flip Murray or Bobby Jackson, but I'll be a little more generous. I'll say his ceiling is Randy Foye or Jamal Crawford. His floor is...take your pick of any complete flop. I expect him to of course be somewhere in the middle, so let's say Luther Head. Did we give up a serviceable player? Yes. Did we give up a star? No.

Of course, that doesn't really matter in my opinion, since this team is now the 6th best team in the East and destined for a first-round playoff loss. What does matter is that this trade didn't change our fate. What it did accomplish is pissing away two assets, however modest (late first rounder plus a fair backup guard), when our team is asset-poor. The only positive of this trade, in my estimation is that it returns a player who is better and has a better contract than Bibby. As such, he is easier to unload earlier than Bibby. I'm just not sure that was worth trading assets when we are completely hand-cuffed and staring down the decade-long barrel of the mediocrity musket. I'm just trying to figure out how long until we are forced to tank again.

• Premium Member

I don't feel that any late first rounder's floor should be Flip Murray. That's a pretty high floor, even for a lotto pick. Remember Luke Jackson, Dermarr Johnson, and Thabo Sefolosha were SG's taken in the lottery. I might lean more towards his ceiling being Flip Murray or Bobby Jackson, but I'll be a little more generous. I'll say his ceiling is Randy Foye or Jamal Crawford. His floor is...take your pick of any complete flop. I expect him to of course be somewhere in the middle, so let's say Luther Head. Did we give up a serviceable player? Yes. Did we give up a star? No.

Of course, that doesn't really matter in my opinion, since this team is now the 6th best team in the East and destined for a first-round playoff loss. What does matter is that this trade didn't change our fate. What it did accomplish is pissing away two assets, however modest (late first rounder plus a fair backup guard), when our team is asset-poor. The only positive of this trade, in my estimation is that it returns a player who is better and has a better contract than Bibby. As such, he is easier to unload earlier than Bibby. I'm just not sure that was worth trading assets when we are completely hand-cuffed and staring down the decade-long barrel of the mediocrity musket. I'm just trying to figure out how long until we are forced to tank again.

We still have Josh and Marvin. We will have our chances to round up our roster in future seasons.... Hopefully. At least now we don't have to worry about a PG for the next couple of years... hopefully.