• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hallelujah!

macdaddy

I hate the idea of another group owning the team ... but if they've got deep enough pockets to develop the area around the arena then hopefully they'll have deep enough pockets to afford using the MLE and adding salary to the team to push us over the luxury tax.

Interesting. Kinkaid on 680 mentioned that a primary buyer will be at the Thrashers' games this weekend and that good turnout could speed along the sale of the club.

I wonder if Gearon Jr will still hold his share or be completely bought out?

I just read this article too. This would be a blessing! I sure hope it happens. I figure it can't get much worse than ASG(we can only assume).

Oh, it could get A LOT worse. See the Clippers or the Boston Bruins as examples. Or whatever is going on with the T-Wolves. What are those guys thinking?

I just read this article too. This would be a blessing! I sure hope it happens. I figure it can't get much worse than ASG(we can only assume).

It can get much worse........look at the Hornet and the look what happened to the Sonics. Look at the Clippers through the years with Sterling.

The ASG are right smack up against the luxury tax. There are plenty of teams with lower payroll they ours............but none of them have championship aspiration.

I hope its a group that will pay luxury tax to better the team ...........and though I like Drew, will not pinch pennies when it comes time to hire coaches.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I'd be happy with new ownership because it hopefully would lead to better front office management and personnel moves. But don't kid yourselves into thinking that a new ownership group is likely to go into the luxury tax for a team that still seems to be facing long odds at making the Conference Finals. Owners are businessmen. Businessmen are out to make money, and they don't spend money that they are unlikely to earn back. You don't break even on a luxury tax team in the NBA unless you get the huge ticket revenues that come from a deep playoff run.

The problem with this front office has always been "stupid," not "cheap." Keep that in mind when you form your expectations about a new ownership group, if one does indeed come along.

(That being said, I don't have much confidence in the intelligence of anyone who buys the Thrashers and intends to keep them in Atlanta)

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

I just remembered that there was some investment firm looking to develop the Gultch near the Dome and Phillips. Yeah, just looked it up and it's Jacoby Development. They According to the AJC: "Jacoby is vying with two other large firms to build a transit station near CNN Center on a site known as “the gulch.” The huge transit development would be just blocks from the new stadium" LINK. Where the new stadium is in refernce to the new open air stadium being proposed for the Falcons.

I'm not sure what a "transit development" is, but given the ciity's desire to keep revitalizing that area, this seems to be a clue as to who the new buyers may be.

Please let these new owners buy the Hawks and Thrashers and spend like Cuban to actually try and win titles and not just settle for mediocrity.

That would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. If it is a development group, I don't know if they'll have enough ego attached to the teams to go out and spend like Cuban.

Call me a skeptic, but I'm completely soured on ownership groups. Give me an indivdiaul and I will have more faith. A group, not so much.

• Premium Member

If ASG is even entertaining offers for the Hawks tells me that they can't afford the team in the long run. They bought because they were big time Hawks fans, and i'm sure it will kill them to see it, but we know they are losing money every day.

Here's where I'm questioning. Do we have the funds to keep the Hawks and the Phil if a canadian group buys the Thrashers? Would this change how ASG does business?

Here's where I'm questioning. Do we have the funds to keep the Hawks and the Phil if a canadian group buys the Thrashers? Would this change how ASG does business?

My reading of the issue is that the whole thing is up for sale. I do think Phillips does need the potential income from the hockey team. Atlanta will support a good hockey team, but the ASG has managed to completely alienate the core hockey base. So much so that they aren't coming to the games any more.

A new owner(s) for the hockey club is essential to its long-term health. It sounds this new group is VERY interested in buying. If Jacoby Development is the group, maybe the idea is to create a downtown entertainment district like the River Walk in SA. That would be really cool. I would still rather have an individual, but maybe this group will see the benefits of spending what it takes to get into the top 8 of the NBA and NHL.

The owners of the Bengals, Hornets and Clippers say hello

I just remembered that there was some investment firm looking to develop the Gultch near the Dome and Phillips. Yeah, just looked it up and it's Jacoby Development. They According to the AJC: "Jacoby is vying with two other large firms to build a transit station near CNN Center on a site known as “the gulch.” The huge transit development would be just blocks from the new stadium" LINK. Where the new stadium is in refernce to the new open air stadium being proposed for the Falcons.

I'm not sure what a "transit development" is, but given the ciity's desire to keep revitalizing that area, this seems to be a clue as to who the new buyers may be.

Cousins and Dawson company are some of the others.

It's the multi modal site that they want to put in where the Gulch is.

according to people familiar with the situation there are two investment groups that are progressing in an effort to buy the hawks, thrashers and philips arena and will keep the thrashers in atlanta.

does this mean that they're saying the hawks might go to another city? or are they saying that the thrashers will stay because most people think the thrashers will be leaving the city of atlanta if new owners buy out the trashers, and saying that hawks will definitely stay in atlanta?