• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Azubuike would be perfect fit

gurpilo

He could be signed to reasonable contract, provide scoring off the bench, explosiveness and some defense, he would be a great upgrade over our bench, could challenge Marvin for the starting job and could make Jamaal expendable, he would be a great fit here, in my opininion better than Brewer and Thornton, thoughts?

• Moderators

Once we can sign him to a minimum offer without going over the tax line, I would definitely sign him this year both in case he is healthy enough to play in the post-season and to pick up a very valuable bench player for next year.

A guy like that which I wish we had signed is Shaun Livingston.

When healthy he is a better version of Marvin. I'd take a shot for the minimum for sure.

He's a better offensive player than Marvin but he's not half the defender that Marvin is. I also doubt that after so much injury trouble that he will come back nearly as good as he was but it would be worth taking a shot at him if he'd sign for the minimum.

That was exactly my point, if he proves he is healthy he will be demanding more thant 3 M$ a year, now we could sing him for a reasonable contract for 2 or 3 years and hope he is healthy enough.

He could be a great addtion to our team and while is not as good on defense as Marvin is definately better than Jamaal an a good scorer.

14,4ppg, 5 rpg, 1, 6 apg, 1,3 3pt, 0,8spg, 0,7 bpg while shooting 0,464% and 0,448% from 3 pt is better than any of the bench players we have had on last 10 years not named Crawford and can be signed cheaper

That was exactly my point, if he proves he is healthy he will be demanding more thant 3 M$ a year, now we could sing him for a reasonable contract for 2 or 3 years and hope he is healthy enough.

He could be a great addtion to our team and while is not as good on defense as Marvin is definately better than Jamaal an a good scorer.

14,4ppg, 5 rpg, 1, 6 apg, 1,3 3pt, 0,8spg, 0,7 bpg while shooting 0,464% and 0,448% from 3 pt is better than any of the bench players we have had on last 10 years not named Crawford and can be signed cheaper

Yeah if healthy he is a better fit for this team than Crawford is because he's definitely a better defender than Crawford and he's probably a more consistent scorer than Crawford without needing to dominate the ball.

I for one, would LOVE to see Az as a Hawk. Been saying this for awhile. The question is, can he stay healthy. If so, he is an improvement in all areas above Marvin. Can shoot better than Marv and an underrated defender.

• Premium Member

But to be fair, Crawford is more of a game-changer, and that's what sets him apart from a guy like Buike.

I guess it's plausible that we could sign him, but if we do, I think of him as having more of a Mo Evans kind of role, and sharing that with Wilkins for the balance of the season.

Marvin's D is overrated around here. He is not a shut down defender. Just a solid defender. That is all. It can be replaced.

So are you of the opinion that we could replace his "solid" defense with someone like Buike who is less of a "solid" defender than Marvin and we'd be fine?

And I have to disagree, Marvin's D is generally underrated around here.

• Like 2

If Atlanta cannot dump salary in the off-season then it looks like they will be filling out the roster with minimum salaried veterans.

Of course Wilkens, Powell, Collins, and Thomas are candidates to be resigned but I hope an upgrade of Thomas and Powell can be found at the least and possible Armstrong too. I'm fine with Collins and Wilkens as bench guys. Of course Jamal Crawford can't be resigned without going into luxury tax so I'm assuming he is gone for nothing.

Possible candiates for minimum contracts:

PG:

E. Watson (will probably get more)

SGs

M. Daniels

A. Parker

D. Stevenson

W. Green

SF

R. Butler

Azubuike

Kapono

PF

R. Evans

C. Smith

PF/C

Wilcox

K. Brown

N. Mohammed

H. Armstrong - if we like what he shows us now.

Would the addition of 1 of these SGs, 1 of these SFs, 1 of these PFs, and 1 of these Cs be enough to make up for the loss of Crawford, Thomas, Powell, and possibly Armstrong ?

It will be hard to make up for Crawford's scoring but we can't forget that Marvin Williams was consistent 14 - 15 ppg before Crawford showed up and took shots away from him. Plus Horford can have some more shots if we would run an offense through him more often. With Jamal running less iso's Marvin, Horford, and Smoove will get more looks. Teague will also need to find his scoring potential off the bench too.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Marvin's D is overrated around here. He is not a shut down defender. Just a solid defender. That is all. It can be replaced.

There is no such thing as a shut down perimeter defender in the NBA. There just isn't. All you have are guys that can stay in front of their man and contest every shot/pass without fouling, and funnel them toward low percentage shots or help defenders if you can't. Marvin does that. He won't stop LeBron from scoring 50 on nights where LeBron is off the chain, but no one can. Same with Kobe. Just ask Tayshaun, Battier, and Sefolosha.

The idea of a "shutdown" perimeter defender is a myth. Marvin moves his feet, uses his length, contests every shot that can be contested, and does it all while only rarely committing fouls. That makes him a very good defender. Even LeBron gave him props after their first meeting last year.

• Like 3

His numbers are a product of playing in Don Nelsons system and are fools gold .

I also agree with Niremetal "shutdown defender" ? There is no such thing Ive yet to see anyone shutdown JJ or jamal by themselves . Why is it that other teams stop our best players with good team defense but we insist that our players shutdown people by themselves ?

No one has taken Marvins shots not even jamal against why do we feel the need to make up yet again another excuse for Marvin ?

Marvin is playing 5 fewer minutes now than b4 jamal came . He is taking 2-3 less shots per game but the fact is Marvin starts and jamal comes of the bench when Marvin has played well he has gotten more minutes the fact is that since his extension Marvin hasnt consistently played that well.

But in the end you know Marvins baseline and whats the minimum he will give you just as we know jamals so when people start saying how this player or that player can duplicate or surpass what they are doing its a stretch simply because you have so many teams in contention wishing they had players that could do what they do .

We know Bibby is done but look at how quickly the heat wanted to snap him up so when you start talking about how these guys that are easily obtainable are better than what we have you gotta realize that its a reason these guys are easily obtainable . .I mean the knicks need defenders but they cut Buike ? The grass is not always greener .

The idea of a "shutdown" perimeter defender is a myth. Marvin moves his feet, uses his length, contests every shot that can be contested, and does it all while only rarely committing fouls. That makes him a very good defender. Even LeBron gave him props after their first meeting last year.

The most you can ask for is Rose going 5-21 and scoring 12 points in the last game vs. Hinrich, Teague, and JJ.

The most you can ask for is Rose going 5-21 and scoring 12 points in the last game vs. Hinrich, Teague, and JJ.

And don't forget that block Marvin had against Rose to keep the hawks in the game! That was a great block.

106k0vp.jpg

It can't be nearly as easily replaced as you make it seem. He is better than Solid. He is one of the best defenders in the league at his position.

• Like 2

Haven't seen much of Az but I guess I like him. I've never seen a lack of effort or aggressiveness like Messy Marv, but numbers posted in Golden State should be taken with a grain of salt besides Steph.

Edited by benhillboy

106k0vp.jpg

It can't be nearly as easily replaced as you make it seem. He is better than Solid. He is one of the best defenders in the league at his position.

Good post man. I am way over ever expecting Marvin to turn into a all-star; but if anyone thinks that all we have to do is plug in some other bench warmer and we would not suffer has lost their mind. Is he over paid? Yes he is but I would rather over pay Marvin at 7 to 8 million than Arenas or Lewis at over 17 to 18 million ( rough estimate).

Back on topic, Az, if healthy, is a solid scorer and player. Would not mind having him at all.

• Premium Member

NY Daily News beat writer wrote this on Tuesday:

After seeing Azubuike running in October I never believed for a minute he'd play this season. He ran like Allan Houston ran post surgery. Despite the breathless stories documenting Azubuike's imminent return, even D'Antoni admitted this morning that Azubuike was never going to play this season. For Kelenna's sake I hope he fully recovers because he is a class guy.

Not sure that that's the last word, but I think we can move on... Stackhouse anyone?