• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching Candidates for the Hawks.

Diesel

'm beginning to believe that the Hawks will be sold to one of these big investors. According to the AJC there are 3 groups looking to buy the Hawks, Thrashers and the operating rights to Phillips. Two of them are groups, and one is a single guy. The guy is from Atlanta and wants to keep all the teams in the city.

Is there a link/source to this? I haven't heard any recent news concerning potential new owners.

• Moderators

Doris Burke! (runs for cover)

Seriously though, after LD's reign ends, whenever that may be, I would want an apply-foot-to-butt coach. If players need to be called out publicly to assure fans we're all seeing the same things, that's fine. I don't care if the players "don't react well" to the heat at first -- if they are not following instructions, the head coach should have the fortitude to direct Sund and the fanboys within the A$G to find a way to ship these guys out. Post-LD, coddling time is over. And he (or she) will need an accomplished assistant coaching staff this time around -- no more carryovers and first-timers.

~lw3

How do you get Mitchell Sucks?? He is one of the only coaches available with over 45% winning percent for his career and he did it with the flaw that is known as Toronto.

He is also a former coach of the year. His firing was because they traded the team for Jermaine Oneal and Oneal sucked. It was a terrible trade looking back. INdy thanks Toronto for Roy Hibbert.

Point is Smitch did a great job with very little. He's one of the only coaches who has shown that he can have a top ten offense and an above average defense and a good efficiency differential.

Drew is under contract for what? $155k?

Drew has the contract of somebody who will be fired.

I was listening to the BS report with Bill Simmons today and Jalen Rose was his guest. At one point during the podcast, Jalen was listing all the coaches he had enjoyed playing for and respected. When he didn't mention Mitchell, Bill said what about Mitchell being on the list and Jalen just laughed and said uh, no. Jalen also mentioned during the podcast how Mitchell was telling Rafer Alston how, after Rafer was signed to his first big contract, that the team was his and not Vince Carter's or Jalen's. Pretty indicting on Mitchell if you ask me as Jalen seems to be a very smart and stand up guy.

Doris Burke! (runs for cover)

~lw3

Not bad lw3...but I would go with Bob Rathbun...just to watch the technicals and ejections mount up. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Frosgrim makes an exellent point about it really being up to the (presumed) new owners.

I was thinking we were really dumb not to trade Craw at the trade deadline for the best big we could get, but since I heard about a probable impending sale, I understand it more. Makes the team more sell-able.

• Premium Member

We have canned a coach, a coach that brought this group to 53.

It is the group which needs to change.

P.S. Why would Doc leave with Dwight coming to Beantown?

Did we really can a coach?

LD was the offense coach of this squad. We havent changed much in terms of offensive scheme. He allows the motion to break down tot he ISO and he's more laid back because they got to know him over the last 5 years. We need a disciplinarian AND some player moves... but the talent shouldn't be all broken..

Is there a link/source to this? I haven't heard any recent news concerning potential new owners.

Information from multiple AJC articles like this one

There is also information coming across on 680

• Moderators

Do you really think Jery Sloan would come if we had new ownership that would pay him well? We would have to play defense then.

If we are looking at new coaches, I am for sure making the call to Sloan. At this point, I would say we need a culture change more than a schematic change. I'd take my chances with Sloan.

If we are looking at new coaches, I am for sure making the call to Sloan. At this point, I would say we need a culture change more than a schematic change. I'd take my chances with Sloan.

Do we really want Sloan? The reports I've heard from Salt Lake make it sound like the game has passed him by. He doesn't seem to embrace technology or working with players to come up with new ideas. I respect what Sloan has done, but I just wonder if he's the right direction to go.

• Moderators

Do we really want Sloan? The reports I've heard from Salt Lake make it sound like the game has passed him by. He doesn't seem to embrace technology or working with players to come up with new ideas. I respect what Sloan has done, but I just wonder if he's the right direction to go.

People are going to have different views on that. I see a list of candidates like:

1.Marc Jackson: Familiar face and a little hype/interest

5.Sam Cassell: From afar he seems like someone who has passion to teach the game

4.Tom Izzo: Decent level of hype, you would think he can teach guys that do not know how to play how to play, but would cost the most of all guys I suggest

2.Bill Laimbeer: Would be great because he is proven and is simply looking for a chance so he would not be asking for too much cash just a oppurtunity

3.Jeff Van Gundy: Minor level of hype and interest maybe he could help with the passion and be a very quotable guy like his brother.

and think "I'd sure rather have Sloan." The guys track record is just really impressive.

and think "I'd sure rather have Sloan." The guys track record is just really impressive.

Agree 100% AHF, have to take Sloan if we can get him. For anyone who says "well he has not won championships", there is only a handful that have and most of them are currently employed or not looking. Sloan is as consistent as they come and takes his players as far as anyone else could IMO.

Agree 100% AHF, have to take Sloan if we can get him. For anyone who says "well he has not won championships", there is only a handful that have and most of them are currently employed or not looking. Sloan is as consistent as they come and takes his players as far as anyone else could IMO.

I agree that Sloan's accomplishments are impressive and I do genuinely respect everything he's accomplished. My wonder is more about has the game and/or players passed him by? There are a number of examples of very accomplished coaches just loosing it at the end of their careers. I think that has to do with age and some age differences.

The flip side of this is that Sloan could come in with the notion that he has one more run to prove to the world that he can still coach.

I'm on the fence about Sloan.