• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Magnum Rolle

ryandauwalker

• Premium Member

2 things:

1) I thought that a player had to be under contract by April 1 in order to be eligible to play for a team in the playoffs? Or did I just completely make that up?

2) Another mediocre minimum contract big man. Woohoo.

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

1) I thought that a player had to be under contract by April 1 in order to be eligible to play for a team in the playoffs? Or did I just completely make that up?

If this article is accurate, he is playoff eligible:

Yes, there still is time.

With all of its deadlines, be it the mid-February trading deadline or the March 1 buyout deadline, the NBA is surprisingly lax when it comes to its playoff-roster deadline.

Spend at least one game on the roster prior to the postseason and you’re playoff eligible, provided you were not on another team’s roster beyond Match 1.

The most famous better-late-than-never example is center Charles Jones, who signed with the Houston Rockets on April 22, 1995, played in the regular-season finale against the Utah Jazz, and went on to win a championship ring that year.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/winderman-still-time-to-add-good-player-or-eddy-curry-to-playoff-roster/

• Like 1

LD and Sund seriously don't want to play starters in these games, especially in the frontcourt, so they found a warm body to run around and sop up minutes. I assure you that had Mario not already been picked up by the Nets that he would have been strolling through that door too to reclaim his #6 jersey from Kirkland.

• Like 1

If he's on the playoff roster, he could be used as part of a 'Hack a Dwight' strategy. I mean that's how a much less talented Bobcats team gave Orlando much more trouble than anyone thought they ever could in the 1st round last year. They just threw wave after wave of marginal bigs with fouls to give against Dwight, and they manhandled him, pushed him around, scratched him, scraped him and played him VERY physically and rough and that visibly frustrated Howard and got inside his head and drew him into uncharacteristic retaliation, which put him into early foul trouble in every single game and limited his minutes to 28, 29, 26 and 23 in the four game series and caused him to foul out of the last two games.

I thought that was a hell of a strategy by Larry Brown there, and really it was the only way in which he could ever hope to win. Dwight can't hurt ya if he's not out there, so fricken rough him up and wait for him to retaliate and get himself into foul trouble.

I think that this was a good move. Since we lost Jordan Crawford and a first round pick, we could use another young player. And since Al is really a PF, we can always use more centers. I am not at all opposed us signing this guy. He adds another rookie to the team and he has potential based on those highlights courtesy of GameTime (thanks!). I think that Rolle will give us another big man to help contain Dwight Howard in the playoffs.

Edited by mynci2894

I heard Bob and Nique talking about this guy last night and they said it's insurance if there is a lockout or work stoppage of some sort after this season. I guess they figure he's a decent project big that without free agency, they wouldn't have the opportunity to sign otherwise. Kinda weird but doesn't bode well for this looming labor issue.

Edited by Eddielives

The only thing I know about Rolle is that he had the best name in last years draft. According to the commentators when Pape was drafted:

Commentator 1: "Pape Sy.... That has to be the best name in this draft."

Commentator 2: "What about Magnum Rolle?"

Commentator 1: "Yes, that is better."

So there you have it folks. The Hawks, our players have better names than yours.

• Like 1