• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Jet

He is easily the least talked about Former Hawk on this board. I loved his style even during the dog days of his tenure here. Just wanted to give a little love to one of my favs and his record-setting day. Outstanding teammate, highly intelligent. One of the most respected No-Time All-Stars you'd ever see, not that AS selections mean a whole lot. Wish he was still here. My bad Dolfan. Won't happen again.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

He is easily the least talked about Former Hawk on this board. I loved his style even during the dog days of his tenure here. Just wanted to give a little love to one of my favs and his record-setting day. Outstanding teammate, highly intelligent. One of the most respected No-Time All-Stars you'd ever see, not that AS selections mean a whole lot. Wish he was still here. My bad Dolfan. Won't happen again.

He was a Hawk for what, 2 seconds?

EDIT: Whoops, I was thinking of Kenny Smith when I initially posted that. You know, "The Jet" as opposed to "JET."

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Admin

He is talking about Jason Terry not Kenny Smith. JT was a Hawk for 5 years.

Great shooter...terrible point guard. He has the perfect role in Dallas. Having Kidd who is a big point guard helps make it work.

He is having a great day and I LOVE watching the Lakers get put out...although that was an extremely dirty play by Bynum.

Edited by capstone21

He was a Hawk for what, 2 seconds?

? Five seasons and he was always a great guy in the community. Whats with the JET hate here?

Good post Benny, I always liked JET and its good to see him play well. I got a chance to talk with JET after a game once, he said the city and fans were awesome but he couldn't stand the management so thats why he wanted out. Seems like what most on the board here are like.

• Premium Member

? Five seasons and he was always a great guy in the community. Whats with the JET hate here?

Good post Benny, I always liked JET and its good to see him play well. I got a chance to talk with JET after a game once, he said the city and fans were awesome but he couldn't stand the management so thats why he wanted out. Seems like what most on the board here are like.

In before the move. I LOVED Terry when he was here. It seemed like too much was put on his shoulders when he was here. When he couldn't 'carry' a bad team, he was ran out of town. That's why I hate to see guys that I know have talent get sent off. I want(ed) to keep guys like Terry, JC2, and maybe Smoove(this offseason?) rather than get rid of them before we can take a look at them under more ideal conditions.

• Premium Member

He is talking about Jason Terry not Kenny Smith. JT was a Hawk for 5 years.

Oops, yeah sorry. Apparently, I'm dating myself. I was thinking of Kenny. For what it's worth, I always thought of Kenny as "The Jet." The relatively few times I've heard people actually use that nickname for JT (I don't remember it catching on fully until after we traded him), it's always just "JET," capitalized and without the "the."

Yes, JT doesn't get enough respect around here. I was quite sad the day he was traded. He was the one guy from the Lon Kruger era I thought was worth keeping.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

Wow how old are you. Terry was a Hawk for much longer than 2 seconds. smdh

I'm old enough to associate "The Jet" with Kenny Smith, not Jason Terry.

Hahaha. First off Nire, Kenny will be extremely proud of your support as he is continuously correcting anyone that calls Terry the Jet.

Second off, I'm sure plenty have seen TNT montages that have shown Kenny's many teams of which this was included.

smithke01.jpg

Third off, yea I'm entirely sad that this era wasn't more successful.

2003-hawks.jpg

• Premium Member

I loved JT. Great players, he wasn't a pure PG, but so what? The likes of what we have seen since he left haven't been much better at the position since he left, and non have had the scoring touch. Can't believe we traded him for Antoine Walker. The day that trade was made was the darkest time during all of my years as a Hawks fan. When he blew up his second season I used to picture him leading us to the playoffs and eventually to a championship. It hurts a little to see the guy thrive in Dallas, but I will always be pulling for him to get that ring as long as it doesn't come at our expense.

True Story:

Two years ago (when I was 23 years old), I was playing pickup ball at the Concourse Athletic Club and Jason Terry showed up. Living in Atlanta, he isn't the first NBA Player to show up (Kevin Willis and Steve Smith have been regulars). Anyways, he starting playing pick-up and I happened to be matched up on him. I was probably 5-7 from the field, and he was probably 4-6 but was playing around 50%. Being a 5'11" white guy who has moderate athleticism, it was a lifetime achievement award to have done so well... you could tell he was pressing on me after I made my first two buckets, and I still did well.

Afterwards, I said good game to him when he was sitting down, and he gave me an extra handshake afterwards, but while I was there, he told his buddy, "this mf'er can shoot the s*** out of the ball."

I was beaming for the rest of the day.

• Admin

I'm old enough to associate "The Jet" with Kenny Smith, not Jason Terry.

Me too :)

I remember when we traded Antoine Carr for him. It was just after he took on nique in the dunk contest. He didn't do much in a Hawks uniform but then he went to Houston and the rest is history.

JT was my favorite player from the early aughts Hawks.

If the Hawks get bounced, I'm rooting for the Mavs the rest of the way.

Ah Frank, you just stole that from my Around the NBA post tonight.....seriously though..I said the same thing.....I miss JT. He played with heart every night.

Don't take anything I say as too meaningful though.....I really liked what Laettner brought to the team over that poser Alan Henderson.

• Premium Member

I do remember Kenny and yes, that's his nickname. It'd be like a random NBA player today and people started calling him Nique. I'm sorry, no, there's just one Nique. Not that Kenny Smith is even in the same planet talent wise as Nique but you get my point.

As for Jason, yes, I do miss him. The only two guys from those Hawks teams that played well were Jason and SAR. I'd give my left leg if either Al or Josh played a low post game like SAR did and I'd love to see Teague find the range of Jason.

I like the Mavs, always been a fan of theirs from afar back when they had Harper, Aguirre, Detlef and then the Triple J ranch days on up to Dirk/Nash and now just Dirk. I loved watching them kill the Lakers, can't stand that franchise.