• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OK, it's time we have the conversation...

Diesel

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

At this time, I readily admit that both guys are Power Forwards.

Horford is a finesse PF.

Smoove is a finesse PF.

For us to succeed, we have to get an inside presence.

Because of their age and skills, both have great trade value.

So who do you put on the trading blocks and who do you keep??

Pros:

Josh Smith:

Josh can change the complexion of any game he plays. Josh is useful on both ends of the floor and especially in transition. Josh is a very underrated passer.

Al Horford

Al is usually very consistent. 2 time Allstar, 1 time All NBA teamer. Al has a good shot out to 15 feet. Al has good size for a PF. Al has a longterm contract.

Cons:

Josh Smith

Josh is the most emotional Hawk. Josh has a very low BBIQ at times. As he continues to age, the part of his game related to his athleticism will decline. Josh's contract is shorter and he will need to be resigned.

Al Horford:

Horf is not a great ball handler. Horf is intimidated by bigger bigs. Defensively, Horf is just average.

Considerations:

Guys who we should think about trading for IMO (these are not necessarily1 for 1 trades):

Dwight Howard , Brook Lopez , Al Jefferson, DeMarcus Cousins, Roy Hibbert, Andrew Bargnani, Andrew Bogut, Nene, Marc Gasol, Okafor, and Chandler.

Josh Smith is a SF so I can't dive into this convo with you.

PG Teague

SG

SF Josh

PF Al

C

Josh Smith was very effective against Deng if you did not notice and Deng gets a lot of credit for D. Deng did a good job on Joe but could really do nothing with Josh when Josh wanted to post him. If we want any chance of ever having a consistent post game Josh is a SF and Al is a PF.

I voted for keeping Al; however, I would not be opposed to trading Al IF Josh would show one full season of these things: 1, continuing to work on his low post game. 2, forget about working on his jumpshot and only use it when absolutely necessary. 3, return to his ability to block shots. 4, work on rebounding and 5, most of all, his attitude. He can't continue to have conflict with coaches and refs. He has got to mature with what he thinks is his being cheated on every no call or on being told NOT to do something by his coaches or teammates. If he could do this, then and only then would I say keep him and trade Al. One thing is that Al has significantly more trade value so IF Smith could be a more mature player, it would net us a great trade by putting Al out there on the block.

• Premium Member

I'll refrain from voting in this one.

I'd trade whomever could land us a decent C (Al/Smoove plus Duck) can get this done I think.

If we keep Smoove, then we need another coach. One that would sit Smoove the moment after he takes a dumb long shot.

Josh Smith is a SF so I can't dive into this convo with you.

PG Teague

SG

SF Josh

PF Al

C

Josh Smith was very effective against Deng if you did not notice and Deng gets a lot of credit for D. Deng did a good job on Joe but could really do nothing with Josh when Josh wanted to post him. If we want any chance of ever having a consistent post game Josh is a SF and Al is a PF.

But... weren't we playing those guys vs CHI? I failed to see any consistent post game in that series... Teague and Smoove sometimes, but that's about it.

• Premium Member

too soon! Do this a few days after Al's horrible performance.

• Moderators

Whoever the GM is will have to assess the best possible value they can get before trading either one. In my mind, we should not be swapping players one-for-one, but seeking to add quality depth to the roster behind Joe, Teague, and whichever one's left.

Smoove may stay, but I fret that for the sake of the rest of his NBA career, he may be best suited in a foreign NBA market. He's been collectively coddled by a small local fanbase stocked with you-can-do-no-wrong family and friends, inexperienced and passive head coaches, inexperienced player development staff, teammates lacking any leadership skills or fundamentals worth learning, and owners that inflate his ego by selling him as "the closest thing to LeBron in the league." I believe until all that changes for him, we will have the Smoove we see now for the next several seasons. We've talked about keeping Smoove to woo Dwight, but I'd rather risk letting Smoove go if it provides some room necessary to compete for Dwight, then use Dwight to woo a better-seasoned Smoove back when his contract time arrives.

Horf may stay, but he has to have the right people here to expand his game on both ends of the floor. I don't believe we have the personnel to do that right now. And can a team highlighted by Teague, Joe, Horford, and filler bring enough highlights to The Highlight Factory to sell more tickets?

~lw3

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think it's an interesting question.

If Smoove can lose some weight an not cost us on the 3 pt shootnig, he may be able to play Sf and all we would have to do is move Marvin for a Center. However, if you put Smoove at Sf, he will probably shoot more threes.

I didn't vote because it's too soon and frankly I like both players:

1. Al is going to be tougher to trade to get back equal value because he is a BYC player meaning you will get back less for his 12 mil. contract

2. If Josh is going to be the SF he needs to loose weight. It seems as if Josh will not be giving up shooting from long range so he might as well work on the shot.

3. If Al wants to play PF he needs continue to have confindence in his 15 footer for pick-n-pop plays but he also needs to learn how to pumpfake and blow by his defender with that shot and do it decisively, too many times he seems unsure. More footwork practice, he developed a nice lil jump hook from the left block - didn't see that enough.

4. WE all want a decent center but those are hard to come by. We need someone who is a relentless rebounder and defender.

5. WE all want to see Al and Josh in the post more, but doing that we also will need dead eye 3pt shooting to space the floor or they will get doubled real quick so they will need to learn the art of passing from the double team.

Edited by jaybird

• Moderators

I think it's an interesting question.

If Smoove can lose some weight an not cost us on the 3 pt shootnig, he may be able to play Sf and all we would have to do is move Marvin for a Center. However, if you put Smoove at Sf, he will probably shoot more threes.

I swear Hubie Brown sounds like he's just dying to coach Smoove even for just an afternoon. He practically drools over his good play. People have just forgotten how raw and reckless Josh was just 2 or 3 years ago. We've seen him grow gradually but he is a much, much better player now than 2 seasons ago. He's a better passer, ball handler, defender, post player, and yes shooter. How many guys on our team or any other have improved this much during the nba career. Everyone gets frustrated with his questionable judgement and overlook a lot of what he does.

My point isn't that Josh is an elite player, but just that I don't underestimate his ability to continue to improve.

• Like 1

Al had a bad playoff s this year but he is much more consistent and level headed than smoove is. I was abig J smith fan but I'm completel done with him. He will never learn to stop taking stupid outside shots. We need to trade smoove ofr a legit center and call it a day.

Everything good smoove does he screws up 2X more by playing out of position and whining like a baby every 5 seconds.

• Like 1

Smoove anyday.

Heart & Athleticism > Robot/Confused

Josh has matured in this year playoffs. I honestly think he has finally learned everything about his strengths and weaknesses. I'm calling it now.. Josh Smith will be one of the best PF in the East next year, earning himself his first All-Star appearance. Coach Drew seemed to change Josh Smith attitude and his approach during these playoffs. Another, Josh plays D. Without Josh, where is our defense?

• Moderators

I honestly think he has finally learned everything about his strengths and weaknesses.

Guys who are that in touch with their games don't shoot 3-35 from outside of 15 feet in a series. That said, I hope he did mature some in these playoffs and carries that over next year to get back to spending more time closer to the basket where he should be to make his first All-Star appearance.

Ask this question before the series started or before Horford got hurt and we would have different answers guaranteed.

No, not at all. Everyone in my part of town has never seen the hype of Horford. Maybe it all started because he won 2 titles with Florida? Then people go on to say Horford is so much better because he has 2 All Star appearances, but yet, the same people say the reason is because there is no talent at the C position. True.

None of that matter to me anyways. I've always liked Horford, but never been to big on his game. He always looks so stiff and confused. He can't buck down through the paint, but he makes his jump shots. If he was playing PF with people more his size, those jump shots will be more difficult. Speaking of him playing PF, that's going to be tougher for him.

Guys who are that in touch with their games don't shoot 3-35 from outside of 15 feet in a series. That said, I hope he did mature some in these playoffs and carries that over next year to get back to spending more time closer to the basket where he should be to make his first All-Star appearance.

Well, let's just say we both hope the same for Horford too. Shooting 42% is awesome, right?

Edited by AHawks89

No, not at all. Everyone in my part of town has never seen the hype of Horford. Maybe it all started because he won 2 titles with Florida? Then people go on to say Horford is so much better because he has 2 All Star appearances, but yet, the same people say the reason is because there is no talent at the C position. True.

None of that matter to me anyways. I've always liked Horford, but never been to big on his game. He always looks so stiff and confused. He can't buck down through the paint, but he makes his jump shots. If he was playing PF with people more his size, those jump shots will be more difficult. Speaking of him playing PF, that's going to be tougher for him.

Well, let's just say we both hope the same for Horford too. Shooting 42% is awesome, right?

3-35 is 8%...you are comparing that to 42%

3-35 is 8%...you are comparing that to 42%

What? What the bad thing is...as bad as his out side shooting was(8%), his FG % still averaged up to 40%, while Horford was at 42%. How in the hell? I don't even know. Pathetic. Everyone knows Josh shouldn't take jumpers. I don't know why people on this board are so offensively minded. Edited by AHawks89