• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mitch Richmond: JJ's ceiling as a player

TheNorthCydeRises

I've long said that Joe Johnson was the 21st century version of Mitch Richmond. Others like to say Michael Finley, although I don't think the comparison fits, seeing that his game is more athletic.

But JJ and Mitch? Their games are eerily similar with the exception of Mitch being able to get to the FT line about 6 times a game, compared with JJ getting to the line a little less than 4 times a game. For those of you worried about JJ's age being a detriment in the future, Mitch had one of his best years as a pro at age 31, averaging 24 ppg while shooting 45% from the field and 43% from 3 point range. Matter of fact, 3 of his best years as a pro came at ages 30, 31, and 32.

For JJ to continue to play at a high level as a player, he'll probably need to become a more deadly 3 point shooter, like what we saw in the playoffs . . along with him developing a way to draw more fouls. If the future for him is transitioning to play more SF than SG, maybe the FTA per game will go up. His numbers do show that this maybe can be achieved if he played more SF. In the 2010 - 11 season, JJ attempted 6.1 FTs per 48 minutes. That's about 4.5 FTs per game if he got 36 minutes. That's still a little under where you'd like him to be. You'd like him to be around 6 FTA.

But it's a lot better than the dismal 3.2 FTA per 48 minutes that he averaged while playing SG . . which comes out to a pitiful 2.4 FTA per game. That's pretty much unacceptable for the amount of times he handles the ball.

Mitch was better than JJ. Anybody whose watched both players play would agree. What JJ can take from Mitch, is to stay in ATTACK MODE . . whether it be driving the basketball, or just shooting the open jumper.

I want Josh Smith to play more like Shawn Kemp . . . and I want JJ to play more like Mitch Richmond.

Your right in that JJ' 3 point shooting stroke needs to return.

JJ's 3 point stroke should return to normal with a healthy elbow on his follow through arm. He started last season with the hurt elbow and had surgery during the season. Then he came back early from surgery. The guy is a warrior.

The Mitch Richmond comaprison is fair. His career started fast and exciting in GS with Run TMC but after that he was stuck on losing teams. The unfortunate thing about Richmond's career is that he played for some very poor teams. Those Kings and Wizards teams he played on were just plain awful. (The Kings got good by trading Richmond to the Wiz for Webber)............One thing JJ has going for him is that he is more of a winner then Richmond was and is also a better defender the Richmond. JJ's extra 2 inches in length will help him age well too.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Well, Mitch and JJ share this: They were both terribly underrated.

Even though Mitch was a multitime allstar, he was not appreciated on the national level. He was a 2 guard in a time of great 2 guards and he was one of the best. I would easily call him better than Reggie Miller, but that's not the perception that was given by the national press. Hell, after Jordan (during that time) Mitch had to be 2nd or 3rd... but again, no respect was every given to him like that.

Same is true with Joe. Joe gets absolutely no respect nationally or locally. I think the fact that fans don't respect him locally have an adverse effect on his national rep.

I think Joe is better defensively than Mitch was. I think Mitch may have had a slight offensive edge on Joe due to his trips to the line. But Mitch's main thing was aggressive play. I mean, Mitch was no where close to Joe's size but he played like he was. Another thing that people fail to see... Joe is a load. 6'7" 240 is un freakin heard of for a 2 guard. When Joe becomes a Post up 2 guard (not that crab dribble Lebron stuff but a back to the basket Jordan replica) he will be even more dominant. This is why I say he needs a good big who can play in the post.

Another thing is that I don't know how well Mitch or Jordan would have done in the age of Zone defense. Fortunately, they didn't have to find out and every team doesn't play that way.

JJ gets a lot more respect than people think in terms of whether or not people think he is a good player and would like to have him on their team. The problem with JJ's rep is an obvious one that continues to be ignored for some reason. I'll type big and slow so people can understand. HE IS PAID SUPERSTAR MONEY AND IS NOT A SUPERSTAR. HIS PRODUCTION HAS DROPPED. HE IS NOT A VOCAL LEADER. HE HAS LITTLE CHARISMA. Double teams don't get you off the hook when you're cashing his paycheck.

• Premium Member

I think Mitch was a better scorer and JJ is a better passer and defender. But the analogy is generally a good one.

This. I would also add they have the same demeanor, you never really saw Mitch get too excited or saw him leading in a team huddle.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

JJ gets a lot more respect than people think in terms of whether or not people think he is a good player and would like to have him on their team. The problem with JJ's rep is an obvious one that continues to be ignored for some reason. I'll type big and slow so people can understand. HE IS PAID SUPERSTAR MONEY AND IS NOT A SUPERSTAR. HIS PRODUCTION HAS DROPPED. HE IS NOT A VOCAL LEADER. HE HAS LITTLE CHARISMA. Double teams don't get you off the hook when you're cashing his paycheck.

But what does he mean to the Hawks?

But what does he mean to the Hawks?

Well, about 4 years ago, when he was scoring and playing like a borderline superstar, he meant hope for a key piece, maybe even the most important piece, of a championship team. Fast forward to now and looking at the facts, he means an albatross of a contract, declining ability and playing a key role in keeping us from taking a step to the next level.

Joe and Mitch are different. Joe is a playmaking #2 option who is all around. Mitch is a elite scorer who can defend and is a #1 but doesn't have the physical tools or playmaking ability to be an elite player. I think Joe would be better if he could be a #2 option but not much better. I think Mitch would have been much better if he switched places with Reggie Miller in Indiana.