• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hornets To Pursue Trade Of Chris Kaman....Are the Hawks interested?

JTB

Yeah I know another Chris Kaman thread but this time dude is avalible so he's up for grabs the other times us fans just wanted to take him away from the clippers when there was probably no way they would trade him but again now he's avalible so how do we go about getting out misssing piece?

http://basketball.re..._Of_Chris_Kaman

The Hornets will stop playing Chris Kaman as they look for a trade.

"We had a conversation with Chris and expressed that the Hornets are going to go in a different direction. We mutually decided for a number of reasons that we are not going to play Chris as we pursue a trade. Chris has been the ultimate professional during this process and we thank him for the way he has handled the situation."

Wow they are even going to stop playing him just to trade him! This would be a nice addition to our roster but not sure who the hawks would trade for him. Nonetheless its clear the hawks need another center! We get a center like Kaman and championship hopes increase for sure. Kaman is a good all around center that many of us have wanted for a long time. I say get him Sund/ASG or watever you guys call yourselves

Edited by JTB

Hawks were not listed on the Hoopsworld list of 4 teams interested in Kaman. But they didn't say they were the only 4 teams. His salary is over 12m (expriing this year), so unless they could trade away some $ it would be a Luxury Tax deal. Kirk's salary would eat up 8m or so. We need a real center that's for sure.

The Hawks should definitely pursue a trade for Kaman. He will be a rental player but it's worth it. We needed to add another legitimate center going into the season when Al Horford was in the starting lineup. Now we desperately need to add a starting center. Jason Collins is useless on offense and has okay spurts on defense, but for the most part he should be on the bench unless Dwight is in the game. Zaza has been doing a great job, and Ivan is Ivan but we still need a power center. Kaman has been on my radar as a Hawks fan for years. Take advantage of this opportunity as Kaman will be shopped and his return will be a low as they are not playing him

Trading for Kaman makes too much sense for the Hawks right now, that they won't do it...

Based on the NBA Trade Machine, all we can do is Kaman/Hinrich+Zaza. Kaman cannot be added with another player, and these are the only salaries that will make it work.

To me, that's not worth it. We need a center, but to give up one (albeit not as good) plus Hinrich doesn't provide much value. Unless we get a 3rd team in, I say no deal.

• Premium Member

Based on the NBA Trade Machine, all we can do is Kaman/Hinrich+Zaza. Kaman cannot be added with another player, and these are the only salaries that will make it work.

To me, that's not worth it. We need a center, but to give up one (albeit not as good) plus Hinrich doesn't provide much value. Unless we get a 3rd team in, I say no deal.

We should also be able to do Kaman for Hinrich/Marvin

I'd try a Hinrich / First for Kaman with a third team. I love Kirk in our back court but a capable scoring C is what we've been needing................forever. JT and Pargo plus help can hold down the PG. I'd love me some

Kaman / Zaza / Collins

Horf / Radman / Ivan

Smoove / MW / T Mac

JJ / Green / Stou

JT / Pargo

We might luck into re-signing Kaman to a decent contract

If Al is lost for the entire season, can we get an Injured Player Exception and use Al's Salary to s-n-t for Kaman? Can someone with CBA knowledge help on this.

Does anybody know the status of Teague's ankle? Pargo does not provide what Kirk can do - Kirk at 9 assists last night, I doubt Pargo has that many assists on the seasonbiggrin.png .

I post on the trade ideas forum but I think that Hinrich/Zaza for Kaman would be a great addition for this team, Zaza is not more than a backup center and we could sign someone like Gadzuric to fill that hole. Kaman is a starting center, someone that can rebound, score on the post and block shots, something we need and don't have.

• Like 1

I'd like Kaman but not giving up our sf for him (smoove is not a sf) and giving up zaza AND Kirk is tough...I haven't followed Kaman the past few years...how is he playing? Is he an injury risk (thus why the unorthodoxed move of sitting him out)?? Why are they trading him like this? How many years left on contract?

Marc Stein: 7 reasons why Hawks won't trade for Kaman....

1) Chris Kaman makes $14 million this season and the Hawks are still over the luxury tax line.

2) Related: The Hawks lost $15 million last season. That's without paying the luxury tax, receiving their share of the luxury tax paid by other teams, and playing six home playoff games. Also related: There's no one with money who wants to buy the team

3) Chris Kaman has been good and healthy exactly once in the last four seasons.

4) Chris Kaman's an okay player. So is Zaza Pachulia. So is Kirk Hinrich can play. So is Marvin Williams. So might be next year's first round draft pick. The Hawks would have to give up some combination of the four to acquire Kaman. Plus, if the Hawks choose to trade another first-round pick, it should be traded for someone better than Chris Kaman if this team's going to improve significantly.

5) The Atlanta Hawks think that Jason Collins can play in a general, rather than highly specialized, sense.

6) Though the Hawks are having a very good season, so are the Bulls and the Heat and the 76ers. The Hawks' playoff chances are a function of both their quality and the quality of the rest of the conference. The Eastern Conference is seriously top-heavy. The Hawks are without Al Horford, they don't know if he'll be back for the playoffs, and being without him has made a difference:

2011-12 Off Eff Def Eff Diff w/ Horford 109.2 100.6 +8.6 w/o Horford 104.2 100.4 +3.8

Is this really the season the Hawks should completely throw financial caution to the wind?

7) The Hawks already made their big move. They locked up Joe Johnson in full knowledge that doing so would severely limit their flexibility. Expecting a subsequent blockbuster trade or free agent signing seriously misreads the powers that be.

• Premium Member

First, I'll be surprised if the Hawks go after Kaman simply because this franchise's philosophy has been very resistant to letting go of players with seniority, and since he cannot be obtained with only Hinrich, it would require sending out a long-term player (e.g., ZaZa or Marvin) for a rental that is highly unlikely to be a rent-to-own situation (i.e., re-signing).

Having said that, I also think that if the Hawks do make a move for Kaman after all, it's going to require a third team in the mix.

But the major thing I want to address is some of these things that Stein wrote...

1) Chris Kaman makes $14 million this season and the Hawks are still over the luxury tax line.

Two things.

One: If Sund has clearance to go after K-Mart, whose addition almost certainly is going to require, at minimum, the $2.5 mil exception, then you have to weigh for yourself whether it's likely that they would consider Kaman a player who would make a greater impact... since, they're on-record as saying they would go over the cap for the right player.

Two: The assertion assumes that acquiring Kaman means adding payroll. Bad assumption. A trade could just as easily represent a savings.

2) Related: The Hawks lost $15 million last season. That's without paying the luxury tax, receiving their share of the luxury tax paid by other teams, and playing six home playoff games. Also related: There's no one with money who wants to buy the team

Clearly, ownership has to decide if by not making a move they're in a better position fiscally than they would be if they did make one... and as I demonstrate here, that's a function of the specifics of a given trade on the table.)

3) Chris Kaman has been good and healthy exactly once in the last four seasons.

Important only if Kaman's contract committed the Hawks to more than just this season. It does not. So, assuming he's healthy at this moment in time, it's not important.

4) Chris Kaman's an okay player. So is Zaza Pachulia. So is Kirk Hinrich can play. So is Marvin Williams. So might be next year's first round draft pick. The Hawks would have to give up some combination of the four to acquire Kaman. Plus, if the Hawks choose to trade another first-round pick, it should be traded for someone better than Chris Kaman if this team's going to improve significantly.

While I'm not really a fan of trading 1st round picks, the point here is, exactly what "should" a late-to-very-late 1st round pick bring to Stein's way of thinking? Honestly, that line as much as anything else he's written here makes me wonder how Stein is deemed by ESPN worthy of being one of their primary columnists.

5) The Atlanta Hawks think that Jason Collins can play in a general, rather than highly specialized, sense.

Really? Not a whole lot of evidence of that, even with Horford out, so are we left to trust that Stein has an insider view of the Hawks braintrust?

6) Though the Hawks are having a very good season, so are the Bulls and the Heat and the 76ers. The Hawks' playoff chances are a function of both their quality and the quality of the rest of the conference. The Eastern Conference is seriously top-heavy. The Hawks are without Al Horford, they don't know if he'll be back for the playoffs, and being without him has made a difference:

2011-12 Off Eff Def Eff Diff w/ Horford 109.2 100.6 +8.6 w/o Horford 104.2 100.4 +3.8

Is this really the season the Hawks should completely throw financial caution to the wind?

A difference in some stats, but not any discernable difference yet in the win-loss column. And, two seasons before Josh is a FA, means we've got one season before the braintrust will be most strongly considering cashing him in for other talent.

So, not just yes, but hell yes. If not now, when? We've been building toward this epiphany for the better part of 10 years now. And what... we're supposed to be so scared of the Bulls and... now... the Sixers that we're going to hold back?

7) The Hawks already made their big move. They locked up Joe Johnson in full knowledge that doing so would severely limit their flexibility. Expecting a subsequent blockbuster trade or free agent signing seriously misreads the powers that be.

Again, I need some evidence that Stein actually is so well-connected with the Hawks decision-makers that he can lecture us ATL fans about misreading whatever. I can safely say that he misreads many of us if he thinks we're impressed with this assertion that he knows better just because he's Marc Stein of ESPN.