• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why do we keep supporting this franchise?

Sothron

• Premium Member

Serious question. After another absolutely pathetic showing at the trade deadline this fan since he was born and raised in the state of Georgia has to seriously question why we remain loyal to this franchise.

This current ownership already stabbed Atlanta and the state in the back by selling out the Thrashers. They refuse to do anything to improve this team and willingly allow valuable trade pieces expire like grapes on a vine year after year. We have nothing to show for Jamal Crawford. We will have nothing to show for Hinrich when he walks as a free agent.

All bluster from a proven liar in an owner Levenson aside we all know Josh wants out of here. There's simply too many reporters that can verify Josh wanted out of here over a year ago. The only reason Joe Johnson stayed was their laughable contract offer that he couldn't refuse.

So why are we loyal to this ownership? They refuse to pay the luxury tax. They have the cheapest head coach in the league. We haven't had a full scouting department since Pete Babcock was the general manager. We have a GM that is a puppet of the owners (Gearon in particular) who is powerless to do any real moves. This core is proven to be only good for second round fodder.

We won't even be that soon because Josh is going to leave after next season when his deal is up. I sincerely doubt they will let Sund trade him in the offseason or at next deadline because it would mean breaking up their precious, precious "core" that has as many appears in the conference finals as we do.

So why are supporting this? How long can blind loyalty to a franchise sustain you as a fan?

• Like 1

They tried, they are just cursed. Not even their hometown products want to come to Atlanta. They lost in the worst kind of way. It's time to sell the team ASG. It's over for you guys.

• Like 3

It stinks. I can't stand these owners. I wish something would happen, but in the end I knew these guys weren't going to make any moves. Its really tough being a Hawks fan.

• Like 1

They tried, they are just cursed. Not even their hometown products want to come to Atlanta. They lost in the worst kind of way. It's time to sell the team ASG. It's over for you guys.

No doubt about it. The ASG is scaring people away. They did it in the NHL and continue to do so in the NBA . . .

• Like 1

Serious question. After another absolutely pathetic showing at the trade deadline this fan since he was born and raised in the state of Georgia has to seriously question why we remain loyal to this franchise.

This current ownership already stabbed Atlanta and the state in the back by selling out the Thrashers. They refuse to do anything to improve this team and willingly allow valuable trade pieces expire like grapes on a vine year after year. We have nothing to show for Jamal Crawford. We will have nothing to show for Hinrich when he walks as a free agent.

All bluster from a proven liar in an owner Levenson aside we all know Josh wants out of here. There's simply too many reporters that can verify Josh wanted out of here over a year ago. The only reason Joe Johnson stayed was their laughable contract offer that he couldn't refuse.

So why are we loyal to this ownership? They refuse to pay the luxury tax. They have the cheapest head coach in the league. We haven't had a full scouting department since Pete Babcock was the general manager. We have a GM that is a puppet of the owners (Gearon in particular) who is powerless to do any real moves. This core is proven to be only good for second round fodder.

We won't even be that soon because Josh is going to leave after next season when his deal is up. I sincerely doubt they will let Sund trade him in the offseason or at next deadline because it would mean breaking up their precious, precious "core" that has as many appears in the conference finals as we do.

So why are supporting this? How long can blind loyalty to a franchise sustain you as a fan?

I think they might be paying the luxury tax this year, so they sell a 2nd round pick to cover it..smh I am so mad.shake_puter.gif

• Premium Member

Well I have an addictive personality. For me it's this addiction or something that could land me in the big house.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 2

Yeah it sucks that we didn't get a big name player but it could have been much worse as we could have given away a player who can help us in the playoffs for nothing. We could have seen them trade Josh Smith for future picks or other players that teams were looking to move who wouldn't be nearly as good as Josh. So yeah while this does suck that we made such a cheap move, things could be much worse right now.

Hell I just watched my favorite football team lose the best WR they've had in 20 years and only get a 3rd rounder this year and a 3rd rounder next year. Most of us Dolphins fans were expecting big ADDITIONS to the team and now even with a Billionaire owner it looks like we're going to be rebuilding a team that won 6 of it's final 9 games with a mediocre QB.

So just remember it can always be worse!

Thats just it...we support from a far but the fans do not support the team (the areana is empty and when people do show up they cheer for the opposing teams star).

It is very hard for casual fans to support a team whose most exciting moves is selling picks. We have sold two 2nd round picks for two seasons in a row or maybe two of the last three, that will be in the AJC print and tv media. Come on man.... that is not the right type of headline you want to be known for as a sports ownership group if attracting new fans is important.

It keeps going from bad to worse, I can only hope they make a splash on draft day like the Falcons when they traded UP to get Julio last season...That is the kind of headline you want to be known for!

Edited by Buzzard

In my case... I simply L O V E Hawks, simple as that... I'm 40 now and nothing has changed for the past 27 years!

Hell, it's my longest relationship!

P.S. Probably the only one that I've been faithful to...

• Like 1

• Admin

It is very hard for casual fans to support a team whose most exciting moves is selling picks. We have sold two 2nd round picks for two seasons in a row or maybe two of the last three, that will be in the AJC print and tv media. Come on man.... that is not the right type of headline you want to be known for as a sports ownership group if attracting new fans is important.

It keeps going from bad to worse, I can only hope they make a splash on draft day like the Falcons when they traded UP to get Julio last season...That is the kind of headline you want to be known for!

When we were in the nique years and the smith/deke/mookie years fans still did not come out. Its a weird city when it comes to sports and I don't really know what or who will bring them out. The last few years when we were one of the top teams in the East and Phillips was a ghost town. I don't think even getting Dwight would bring the fans out (maybe a bump) but I just don't think Atlanta will ever truely support the franchise.

• Moderators

It's kinda like watching Gilligan's Island. Deep down, no matter how close they get, you know you can't ever imagine them figuring out how to get the heck off that island. Or Wile E. Coyote finally catching the RoadRunner. That would be way too scary!

~wloc

• Like 1

It's kinda like watching Gilligan's Island. Deep down, no matter how close they get, you know you can't ever imagine them figuring out how to get the heck off that island. Or Wile E. Coyote finally catching the RoadRunner. That would be way too scary!

~wloc

This sums it up for me

When we were in the nique years and the smith/deke/mookie years fans still did not come out. Its a weird city when it comes to sports and I don't really know what or who will bring them out. The last few years when we were one of the top teams in the East and Phillips was a ghost town. I don't think even getting Dwight would bring the fans out (maybe a bump) but I just don't think Atlanta will ever truely support the franchise.

The city is not weird at all in the sense that losing is as tolerated here as crime was by the League of Shadows in that Batman movie. No city, and I mean NO CITY is better at discerning a phony from the real McCoy better than Atlanta. Nobody in town cares about third-place finishes in the conference or postseason runs that end in the second round, especially transplants, who are stubbornly loyal to their hometown teams and comprise 75%+ of the populace here. When there is a sense that just making the playoffs is the goal instead of going for the big belt, folks here turn to find other things to do; that's a fact. But don't take my word for it; ask Chipper Jones, he'll verify.

While the Pistons, Knicks, and Bulls made moves to improve their teams in the mid-late '80s, what did the Hawks do in response? Bring in an old Reggie Theus and an even older Moses Malone. That is the ONLY time I could ever recall them going for the gold instead of sitting on their hands like they typically do and the city responded in kind (check out their attendance numbers in '88-89 and see for yourself). When that failed and they returned to doing what they do best (sitting on their hands during the offseason and making horrid draft picks), the fans went away. The reason the Omni wasn't constantly packed during the Nique era was not the city's fault; it was Kasten's and later, Babs'.

When they get into the championship-winning business by bringing in viable players who aren't five years past their prime and drafting guys who can actually PLAY, the city will pay attention and attendance will go up. Until then, well, as they say, they'll keep getting what they're getting...

• Premium Member

I'm not saying anything new, but the fans deserve better than this. As a long time fan, it's difficult to see the team you're so found of held hostage by individuals who have their own agenda, but will lie to your face just to keep you interested with a false sense of hope.

Edited by Jody23