Merged: Hawks sign Lou Williams

Mutombolievable

He has stepped up his game over the past couple of years and is right in his prime at 25. Phily is up there near the tax, perhaps they didn't cut him loose for no reason. He will be the 5th highest paid player, so continued results are expected. We don't have a star guard, but we have depth.

Thing is Philly is nowhere near the tax especially since they just amnestied Brand. They also went out and spent 6 million (1 mil more) on Nick Young to replace him.

• Moderators

As the fake ASG says, we are seriously heading towards an All-Atlantan line-up. Next target: Thaddeus Young.

...and we need to grab Bosh as well. Played his college ball at GT, so bring him home Ferry! lol, but I really do like bringing back hometown heroes to the Hawks.

BINGO !! ...how many 6'1" shooting guards are serious players in this league?

Brandon Jennings (PG/SG, just like Lou). There are a many other guys who are just a little taller that can play ball as well, and that "1-"2 height disparity doesn't make much of a difference

Who says that Philly didn't want to keep him at this price? For all we know they offered as much, possibly less, possibly more but finally got a good enough offer from Atlanta to get home. A place where he's wanted to play for years.

Unrestricted FA? I really need to keep a better track of the contracts and FA stuff. I assumed he was signed to an offer sheet in which Philly wouldn't match.

Philadelphia has been taking heat for letting Williams go. The move by Atlanta has been getting praised as a steal. Let's break this down. You don't usually expect a player making $5m to produce at the same level as a player making around $20m. You could say the same for Ginobili. He still helped his team a ton. Most sixth men don't play a lot more than 30 minutes. He does shoot the ball well. What else can you expect out of a 6'1" shooting guard? I could see your point if we were paying him a ton of money, but we are not. For a player of his skill level, we got a pretty good deal.

The Hawks don't need to win games, they need to have a shot at getting a great player. They have none on the roster and they're not going to sign one in FA. Lou is not on the same level as Mano. And Lou only shot 40%. He gets to the free throw line at a pretty decent rate, and that's about the extent of the positives that I'm seeing.

This is why win shares is such a good stat. It takes into account many of the things Lou supposedly doesn't do well, and it also penalizes volume shooting if the player is not efficient. Lou didn't magically produce at least 0.130 WS48 over the past three years for nothing

This is why win shares is such a good stat. It takes into account many of the things Lou supposedly doesn't do well, and it also penalizes volume shooting if the player is not efficient. Lou didn't magically produce at least 0.130 WS48 over the past three years for nothing

http://espn.go.com/n...99/lou-williams Not very impressive. I understand it's fun playing Billy Beane. But... It's not close to the worst deal or anything like that. But I think Ferry is pointlessly pushing this team to be a lower seed playoff team. Which will have little benefits. Edited by Hotlanta1981

Am I the only one thinking Lou Williams/Devin Harris is actually an upgrade from Joe? A Harris/Lou backcourt would be nasty. They both attack the rim and get to the line viciously. Could Teague be on his way out?

I guess you dislike defense apparently.

I think there is something to be said for a "rag tag team" with a lot of heart and chemistry, as long as you have some All-Star caliber players (which we have: Josh, Al). The Mavs, Pistons, and even the Spurs had teams that fit that bill when they won their titles. Danny Ferry is bringing that Spurs model over here and I am excited to see how it works. This will be a fun team to cheer for against the stacked teams in the league.

You do realize the Mavs have Dirk, right? The Pistons thing was an anomaly, but they played amazing defense and had a lot of underrated players (especially Rasheed). I don't even know what to say about the Spurs. Calling them "rag tag" is ridiculous.

I don't think Lou's arrival necessarily spells the end of Teague.We know Harris is on his way out....either via trade or expiring contract...both which Ferry should make good use of.You know Jenkins and Lou are going to be here. Lou's a 25 minutes of the bench guy. The key is that if it is for only $5 mil per, then that is really frugal and represents great value imo.I still think Teague gets a shot. This will be a big year for him. He has some talents, but we will have to wait and see if Ferry sees him in the long term picture here. I do think a 3-some of Jenkins, Williams, and Teague can co-exist as a back-court.We need a lottery pick in 2013 and unfortutantely I'm not sure this team won't manage to make the eight seed.KEY POINT is that Devin Harris is an afterthought. I don't know how many minutes he gets this year but he is gone after this year and doesn't figure into the future plans. Teague is TBD imo.I have no idea if Morrow has a future.The thing I keep thinking is that San Antonio traditional keeps a lot of "flex" guards on the bench. We're accumulating a lot of guards and some are expiring/trade assets and some are building blocks.Lou, Jenkins represent definitely building blocks. Everyone else is TBD. Teague is an interesting case.

Why did he agree to sign with Atlanta? Some ideas and then, the real answer.1- He liked the owners of the Hawks.2 - He liked the announcers on Sports South, which covers the Hawks.3 - He loves the fans who come to Atlanta's home games.4 - He's coming home to the capital of the south.5 - He really wanted to play for Larry D.6 - He wants to play for our new GM.I considered all these things and they all looked so good when you first look at them.But, I looked deeper and pondered harder. There has to be a great reason. It'snot the money. He could get that somewhere else.Finally, I have the answer. He wanted to come to Atlanta because of Hawksquawk!We have the greatest cite in the NBA. That's reason enough. Just forget thelist, one thru 6 above, the real reason is now so obvious, don't know why I couldn'tsee it before.WELCOME TO ATLANTA AND WELCOME TO HAWKSQUAWK!!

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I keep seeing FG% like that is some good measure of Lou William's scoring. That is like using batting average to evaluate a baseball player. No stat is perfect but at least use TS% which is much more meaningful.For his career, Williams is a little more efficient scoring than JJ and his ability to get to the line is a big part of that. The defense is the big concern but for a microwave type of player this seems like a good fit...around Dwight or another star.Has anyone heard the number of years on this? I did see the BleacherReport linked a page back indicated that we were only using part of our MLE but I would have to think we are using the full MLE on this.

Guest DopeHawk

TEAM ATL!!Im all for the home town boys. Hopefully bringing back all these kids who played in GA for either HS or College will bring back some good memories and give them a lil something extra to play for on the court besides the money.

• Premium Member

PER is the most overrated stat in the game. It is just something Hollinger came up with I am just not a fan of undersized shooting guards. They are always as much of a hinderance as the good they may bring

I think this is the second step to Ferry getting the Hawks back in the lottery. Anyone thinking this is a move to win games better think twice. Who in the hell gonna defend and create in that back court?

I don't like this signing, too undersized to play the 2 and not a 1. Mayo or Lee would have been better fits, Mayo in particular can provide the same offense or better with 3" more, I just don't like it.

Where in Georgia did Mayo or Lee play high school or college ball? If the answer is they didn't, then they're not fits LOL