• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Devin Harris in New Jersey

thecampster

http://www.peachtree...ty-doggone-good

He deffers on offense to what play is being called, he has slowed down his game so that he's not way ahead of his team mates. Being anchored to the limited Al Jefferson will do that. Instead of chaffing at this pairing and playing 'his style' he played the Jazz style. While it did him no favors statistically, I think he did learn quite a bit about the normative duties of a point guard. Over the course of his nearly one and a half seasons here (thanks lockout!) he has improved in his half court control and ability to see his team mates as more than just guys to set screens for him. Harris can still put the pedal to the metal and play an up and down game (where he is still best), but he's a much more rounded PG now than he ever was. It did not work out for the Jazz, but I think it was a necessary step in Devin's development. This isn't just in terms of how a true PG passes the ball, but also how a true PG picks his spots for when to shoot the ball. I was very impressed and encouraged by Harris' improved spot up shooting (especially from down town). If he did not get hot down the stretch as a spot up shooter the Jazz do not make the playoffs. Harris is still a Top 10 PG.

Inspired by this article, I did a little data mining on Devin Harris from New Jersey. What follows is the composite of Harris' time in NJ.

Games - 212

PPG - 17.67

Assists - 6.94

RPG - 3.0

I think if we got that out of Devin, everyone would be pretty happy. When is the last time we had a point guard here that could average 17 points and 7 assists a game?

Edited by thecampster

Devin can play, there's no doubt about that!With 30 mpg, I think that he could average close to 15 ppg and 6 apg.I really like our back-court, it's offensive potential, compatibility with Al and Smoove, depth... My only concern is it's defensive ability and match-ups on the defensive end (size).

Yup, I've liked Harris since he came into the League. 16/6 would be just what the team needs. Defensively, the Hawks guards are going to have to play a lot of ball denial and just stay right on guys' hips to bother their shooting. Bigger guards are going to have a field day in the post against us, but I guess the hope is that Josh will provide enough weakside blocking to give guards pause when they post up.I still think there is at least one more big roster move coming before the season to round this team out a little more.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I've liked him since we missed drafting him by inches. In hindsight, BK would have probably picked a SF regardless though...In only his second season, he was a part of the Dallas core that went to the finals. Then he basically gets swapped for Jason Kidd. He has a really nice career in NJ, then gets packaged for Deron Williams. Shopped a couple of times for EPIC PG's, banished to a lottery team, then he falls off the radar. Ever so often, a guy slips through the cracks and becomes forgotten - NOT because of talent, but because of situations. You have to pounce on those guys when you get a chance and we could have had Devin.Devin has always been a good PG. It really pisses me off that we get him now when THIS is THE guy that I wanted for the past couple of seasons. He won't last long on the 2013 market. Bank on that.

• Premium Member

He may be the backup to start the season, but there is no doubt in my mind he'll finish the season the starter.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Devin Haris is a veteran starting pure point guard. Jeff Teague is learning the job. If Teague is the starter at the beginning of the season he will not be at the end. Harris just has too much pure PG instincts that Jeff doesnt have.

Edited by Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I'm excited about Harris and all, but I can't help but think that Teague will make MAJOR strides next season and will be a much improved player. It's great having two capable PG's on the roster though.

• Like 1

Devin isn't a pure PG by any stretch of the imagination and that article from the Jazz writer even specifically says that. He's always been a scoring guard and a pretty darn good one. He's learned PG skills over the years but he's not that much better at it than Teague to give up on him being the starter so quickly.

I'm excited about Harris and all, but I can't help but think that Teague will make MAJOR strides next season and will be a much improved player. It's great having two capable PG's on the roster though.

Completely agree!

I'm confident the best man for the job will start. I'm not really knowledgeable on where and if GMs' and coaches' defisions overlap on personnel, but i would think the more a pair have been together, the more often it occurs. Have any of you heard anything concrete on a GM making decisions about lineups, possibly overriding the coaches' preferences? Clearly, Harris is Ferry's guy, and Drew helped select Teague. And how often do GMs watch practices?

Devin isn't a pure PG by any stretch of the imagination and that article from the Jazz writer even specifically says that. He's always been a scoring guard and a pretty darn good one. He's learned PG skills over the years but he's not that much better at it than Teague to give up on him being the starter so quickly.

he may not be a pure point guard but he does pick and roll better than teague and also is a better playmaker. of course though teague is still coming along but right now harris is the better pg RIGHT NOW thats all

I still kind of feel like there is a good chance we start both of them. Nevermind throwing them in certain positions. I'll list Harris as SG because he's taller, but basically I think we have two GUARDS. With Lou Williams being the #3 Guard and whatever shooter is shooting the best between Morrow and Jenkins as the 4th. TEAGUE - WILLIAMSHARRIS - MORROW/JENKINSOffense will be initiated through both of them.(With the usual caveat of barring another trade.)

I still kind of feel like there is a good chance we start both of them. Nevermind throwing them in certain positions. I'll list Harris as SG because he's taller, but basically I think we have two GUARDS. With Lou Williams being the #3 Guard and whatever shooter is shooting the best between Morrow and Jenkins as the 4th. TEAGUE - WILLIAMS HARRIS - MORROW/JENKINS Offense will be initiated through both of them. (With the usual caveat of barring another trade.)

i dont know i actually rather not have lou running point coming off the bench. I rather start jenkins at SG along with harris or teague at point.

I say devin Teague and Lou will hit somewhere around 42 a game between the 3. Josh and al shoul be good for 34 a gameThat means the "shooters" as I'll call them should get 16Ivan zaza and bigs should be 10I predict 102 a game

Teague: 13 ppg 3 rpg 5 apg 30 minutesHarris: 13 ppg 4 rpg 5 apg 30 minutesMorrow: 7 ppg 3 rpg 1 apg 20 minutesSmith: 17 ppg 8 rpg 4 apg 35 minutesHorford: 17 ppg 9 rpg 3 apg 35 minutes6th man: Lou 13 ppg, 2 rpg, 3 apg 27 minutes7th man: zaza 6 ppg, 6 rpg 18 minutes8th man: Stevenson 3 ppg 2 rpg 12 minutes9th man: korver 6 ppg 2 rpg 14 minutes10th man: Jenkins 2 ppg 1rpg 7 minutes11th man: petro 2 ppg 2 rpg 7 minutes12th man: Ivan 2 ppg 2 rpg 5 minutes101 ppg 44 rpg21 apg