• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kenny Atkinson...future head coach?

capstone21

I know absolutely have no dea who he is other that a Player development coach, but I am happy to see the ASG investing some money in the coaching staff.

• Moderators

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2012/08/knicks-assistant-coach-kenny-atkinson-close-to-joining-atlanta-hawks

Several years earlier, Dolan wanted Atkinson removed from the coaching staff because he believed he was talking to the media. However, former Knicks president Donnie Walsh insisted that Atkinson stay. Atkinson was barred from speaking to certain reporters.

Two years later, Dolan would not allow Atkinson out of his contract to the join the Portland Trail Blazers

I read that as, "whatever issues Dolan had about snitching/media leaks were satisfactorily addressed at least two years ago."

~lw3

Lin is also quoted in that NYDaily article:

“I mean this guy wakes up at 6 a.m. every morning,” Lin said last February. ““I’ll text after a game at midnight, 1 o’clock when I go home and I’ll say, ‘Hey can I look at those turnovers. Can I look at the upcoming team? How they run pick and rolls?’ And he ’ll have the film ready when I walk into the facility the next morning.

“When I wasn’t playing much, we were working out before practice, and after practice he was picking apart my game, teaching me what it’s like to play in Coach D’Antoni’s system.”

• Premium Member

All of the above points to the suspicion that D'Antoni could be the next coach of the Hawks. The Hawks talk about an exciting brand of basketball that doesn't require a conventional center.If this dude is the PG whisperer for D'Antoni's system, then maybe the plan is to give Drew one more year and bring in D'Antoni.When D'Antoni left NY, Lin's stats started to decrease... that's because Atkinson was the whisperer for D'Antoni's system.Well, Ferry sees the possibilities with Teague. He has a team full of shooters now. This is a dress rehearsal for what will be the team next year when D'Antoni takes over.

“I would say my formation as a coach is more from an international standpoint,” says Kenny. “That’s where I learned to coach, and there’s a big emphasis on skill work and shooting; an up-tempo and open style that’s predicated on good skills.”

Sounds like he is coming in similarly to how Woody did for D'Antoni in NY last year. Bring in some new blood that Drew isn't use to.

ASG and sloan has been in talks?!.....you sure its not ferry and sloan? As I am sure the ASG is happy with cheap Larry drew....whom I do like as a coach BUT if we can get jerry sloan I mean hell that's a hall of fame coach, you can't turn that down.Hope this rumor is true!

• Admin

All of the above points to the suspicion that D'Antoni could be the next coach of the Hawks. The Hawks talk about an exciting brand of basketball that doesn't require a conventional center. If this dude is the PG whisperer for D'Antoni's system, then maybe the plan is to give Drew one more year and bring in D'Antoni. When D'Antoni left NY, Lin's stats started to decrease... that's because Atkinson was the whisperer for D'Antoni's system. Well, Ferry sees the possibilities with Teague. He has a team full of shooters now. This is a dress rehearsal for what will be the team next year when D'Antoni takes over.

D'Antoni's game is fun to watch but it will not work in the long run due to the extreme lack of defence. I don't want him as our coach

IDK if he will be or not but whoever we have or may get to coach this team needs to be a great coach for the system we are installing. I don't care if it's Drew, a famous name coach, or a new coach with no head coaching experience. Bottom line is we need the best coach available for the Atlanta Hawks.