Josh Smith and Jeff Teague will be the major signings

TheNorthCydeRises

When you look at who will be Restricted and Unrestricted free agents, these are the Hawks choices

Top 10 Unrestricted free agents in 2013

- Dwight Howard

- Chris Paul

- Andrew Bynum

- Al Jefferson

- Josh Smith

- Paul Milsap

- Manu Ginobli

- Kevin Martin

- David West

- Stephen Jackson

Top 10 Restricted Free Agents in 2013

- Blake Griffin ( re-signed with the Clippers for the Max )

- James Harden

- Stephen Curry

- Tyreke Evans

- Ty Lawson

- Brandon Jennings

- Serge Ibaka

- Jrue Holliday

- DeMar Derozen

- Jeff Teague

There's your list folks. And there's a good bet that we're almost certainly going to have to overpay to keep Smith in the mix ( similar to what happened with Joe Johnson ). And if we want a PG, re-signing Teague may be the cheapest option to go with.

So there you go folks. With Dwight Howard virtually out of play, and Chris Paul all but certain to not come here, re-signing Josh Smith and Jeff Teague are probably the targets. If they aren't, you're talking about overpaying to bring someone else in here . . . or going all the way cheap and only filling the roster with mid to low level players.

Yea cap space.

This still doesn't make me want to hold on to old Joe. The “run” was over. They got shown the door by a much older team that they came closer to beating 5 years ago.But that list does convince me that we should be in play for a top pick next year. Instead, this will be a wasted year in which nothing is accompished.Oh, and Josh go. He is only worth a handful of wins a year. Not worth overpaying for.

This is actually good news for the Hawks...We can sign Josh Smith, & Jeff Teague..then we go after Bynum. PG- Jeff Teague / WilliamsSG- James Harden / JenkinsSF- Smith/ PF-Horford / C- Bynum / Now this is going to be hard for Ferry to make this work Financially, but that line up would be sick and could contend in the East...

Just as long as we can come away with James Harden I will be fine with next year FA. He will be more of a consolation prize. I always felt the Howard/Paul scenario was a pipe dream.

IDK about James Harden but I do know OKC can't pay all those players. So one of their top players will not be there unless they take a pay cut. We should also focus on Denver and Utah.

I see what you are trying to do here. Posted Image

We should just had stayed with Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams, Folks! We would had been NBA champs this up coming season with great additions to surround Joe....

No..

Edited by AHawks89

• Premium Member

The “run” was over. They got shown the door by a much older team that they came closer to beating 5 years ago.

Did you actually watch the playoffs? They got beat because Josh missed a game. Horf missed 2 games. They were both Gimpy... and the refs... Moreover, we didn't lose because of Joe. We lost because we couldn't stop KG from imposing his will.

Just as long as we can come away with James Harden I will be fine with next year FA. He will be more of a consolation prize. I always felt the Howard/Paul scenario was a pipe dream.

If you're James Harden next year, whom do you sign with . . . Atlanta or Dallas? And the Thunder will probably match anything that isn't a MAX type of deal, so he won't be low-balled either. Atlanta WILL have to send a MAX offer to Harden, to even be in consideration to get him.

This still doesn't make me want to hold on to old Joe. The “run” was over. They got shown the door by a much older team that they came closer to beating 5 years ago. But that list does convince me that we should be in play for a top pick next year. Instead, this will be a wasted year in which nothing is accompished. Oh, and Josh go. He is only worth a handful of wins a year. Not worth overpaying for.

The JJ trade ( if it doesn't produce an equal or greater star with a free agent signing ), will go down in history as a mere salary dump that brought nothing back to ATL. You don't wait 5 years to see if the trade was a good one or not. That trade needs to result in something that can at least be a key piece of a "new core". I'm not upset that he was traded. I'm upset at what he was traded for.

Yup, cap space is entirely only useful in free agency and in one year only. There's no such thing as facilitating a trade or even rolling over some of it towards the future. Nope, gotta be 2013 or nothing. Some clairvoyant geniuses here.

2013 is definitely the year to make that move. Because if we don't make it then, who are we going to get? Or a better question . . what player do you think the Hawks can get, in the years after 2013, if the Hawks can't get Dwight or Bynum or CP3?

Yup, cap space is entirely only useful in free agency and in one year only. There's no such thing as facilitating a trade or even rolling over some of it towards the future. Nope, gotta be 2013 or nothing. Some clairvoyant geniuses here.

I know. Because there's always 2014, and the blockbuster free agent class that will be available ( or possibly available ) - Kobe - Dirk - Paul Pierce - Pau Gasol - Luou Deng - Danny Granger - Andrew Bogut - Marcin Gortat Plus Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo, Amare, Rudy Gay and Zach Randolp could all opt out early. Maybe we can convince a 35 year old Kobe Bryant and Dirk Nowitzki to spend their last years in ATL.

Harden and Bynum should be the targets. There are some interesting prospects at shooting guard and small forward, where we don't have long term solutions. I just hope we get SOMEONE.Also, don't forget that the JJ trade did get us a #1 draft pick from Houston, and we've had some nice hits in the high teens (Smoove, Teague). So it might go down as not just a salary dump.

Oh yes, there's an echo in here too. Capspace is only useful in free agency and it most definitely has to be used within 2 years time now on very particular big name players. Man, these clairvoyant geniuses sure do know the ins and outs but ask them when they saw Atlanta competing for a championship with Joe Johnson and all of their crystal balls just happen to of been out of service that decade.

• Premium Member

When you look at who will be Restricted and Unrestricted free agents, these are the Hawks choices

Top 10 Unrestricted free agents in 2013

- Dwight Howard

- Chris Paul

- Andrew Bynum

- Al Jefferson

- Josh Smith

- Paul Milsap

- Manu Ginobli

- Kevin Martin

- David West

- Stephen Jackson

Top 10 Restricted Free Agents in 2013

- Blake Griffin ( re-signed with the Clippers for the Max )

- James Harden

- Stephen Curry

- Tyreke Evans

- Ty Lawson

- Brandon Jennings

- Serge Ibaka

- Jrue Holliday

- DeMar Derozen

- Jeff Teague

There's your list folks. And there's a good bet that we're almost certainly going to have to overpay to keep Smith in the mix ( similar to what happened with Joe Johnson ). And if we want a PG, re-signing Teague may be the cheapest option to go with.

So there you go folks. With Dwight Howard virtually out of play, and Chris Paul all but certain to not come here, re-signing Josh Smith and Jeff Teague are probably the targets. If they aren't, you're talking about overpaying to bring someone else in here . . . or going all the way cheap and only filling the roster with mid to low level players.

Yea cap space.

I can honestly say the only two people I'm truly interested in are CP3 and Dwight and I'm only mildly interested in Bynum. If Bynum can play 70+ games for two seasons in a row then I'll believe he's healthy enough to risk a max deal for.

But those other guys? Classic cases of B to C level talent that teams will foolishly overpay to keep. I have no interest in Josh Smith unless he brings in Howard and I can name at least fifteen other point guards (including Devin Harris) I'd rather have over Jeff Teague.

Time to either bring in the superstars or tank this team to the bottom to hope for a superstar in the draft. It is literally superstar or bust.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Oh yes, there's an echo in here too. Capspace is only useful in free agency and it most definitely has to be used within 2 years time now on very particular big name players. Man, these clairvoyant geniuses sure do know the ins and outs but ask them when they saw Atlanta competing for a championship with Joe Johnson and all of their crystal balls just happen to of been out of service that decade.

Unfortunately Mace. We have never seen Atlanta compete for a championship. Not just with JJ... BUt also with these failed start over plans that we have tried before. We've been here before. In the words of the architect...

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

We're really good at blowing up a team that is about one or two moves away from being something.

[*]We traded Nique when we were the best team in the East and there was no Jordan.

[*]We traded away Smitty and Mookie because we lost to NY in an injury filled short season after having been good when healthy.

[*]We traded away Joe because we lost to Boston in an injury filled short season after having been good when healthy.

[*]When BK came in he got rid of Theo, SAR, and JT... with promises of building a winner in 3 to 4 yrs.

[*]When Ferry came in he got rid of JJ, Marvin, and eventually Josh with promises of building a winner in 2 to 3 years.

Look over that list very closely. Note the similarities. We have been here before. We know how this story goes. It doesn't end with us getting a championship. It ends with years of losing until some FA star has pity on us and comes to play for Atlanta and spend 5 years begging for us to get him some help.

So if you've never seen it why is it only when your favorite player get's traded (who wasn't getting it done) that all of a sudden your expectations for a championship goes up? Tight parameters must be put in place for what has to happen in his absence. Who has to be signed. When they have to be signed. All of these criterias must be met to justify the move of your golden lamb.

It's all rather ludicrous and hilarious at the same time.

• Like 1

Did you actually watch the playoffs? They got beat because Josh missed a game. Horf missed 2 games. They were both Gimpy... and the refs... Moreover, we didn't lose because of Joe. We lost because we couldn't stop KG from imposing his will.

Jo

Josh took an ill advised shot with a couple of seconds left on the clock. Horford missed his free throws. Teague was not convincing enough on his fouled last shot. Drew got out coached with a great play to get Josh the open lane for a dunk but Doc took the quick foul. Worst of all Joe got sonned by Paul Pierce getting blocked with that slow dribble and drive to the hole. I don't know if either one of them ever left the ground. All in all we lost as a team but our 100 million dollar man couldn't finish the play strong. Yes that whole series could have went either way but the guy who was suppose to lead us ran out of gas. It would have maybe been acceptable if he carried our team during most of last year but that load was carried more by Josh and our deep bench!! I thought Joe was saving his energy for the playoffs but apparently not.