• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More Ferry Chum For You Sharks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Nice Q&A job by Charles Bethea (Grantland), in my opinion. A sampling:

http://www.grantland...-wikipedia-page

Speaking of things we thought would be around for a while: The Joe Johnson trade, did that require any black magic?

[Laughs] We started talking about it June 26th, and we agreed on things July 3rd. I think it was a win-win for both teams. They got a good player who’d help keep around Deron Williams. It was a hard deal for us. But, at the end, we had a good making-the-playoff run, but we hadn’t had a good playoff run, if that makes sense. And the goal is to have a good playoff run. That was going to be hard to sustain, with how we were set up.

Are you trying to build a certain style of team?

I like teams that move the ball and play defense. That are unselfish, that care every night. Teams that play with a system that the coach defines, so it’s clear what the purpose is when they’re out there on both ends of the court.

Jeff Teague started almost every game last season, but before that there was a feeling that the Hawks were too conservative about letting young players — especially point guards — actually get out there and play.

Larry [Drew] and [former GM] Rick [sund] deserve credit for finally giving Teague the ball. Especially Larry. That he allowed him to grow and allowed him to become an important part of the team.

Is Teague going to be more important now?

With Joe gone, the dynamic of our team is naturally going to change. There’s going to be more touches and more possessions that other people are gonna be a part of. I would imagine that both Devin [Harris] and Jeff — and Louis [Williams] — will absorb a lot of those. And all of them will become very important to our group.

In 2008-2009, Josh took 87 threes. In 2009-2010, he attempted just 7. In 2010-2011, he took about two per game. One theory is that someone made a bet with him before the 2009-2010 season that made him limit his threes. If true, would you make the same bet?

[Laughs] No comment.

~lw3
Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 2

So why is it harder to get players to come here while they’re playing? Like Dwight Howard. He’s from here. You think he’d want to come play here.

I can’t talk specifically about Dwight Howard, with him being a free agent next year, for one. And two, who’s to say he won’t? But it’s a hard thing to get players to leave where they are, more than anything else. This is a place guys like to play. You see them settle in the offseason here. If we start doing things in an even better way, build a better program and a better model here, then it will be more attractive. We have to make an investment in the team infrastructure.

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Premium Member

Are you trying to build a certain style of team?

I like teams that move the ball and play defense. That are unselfish, that care every night. Teams that play with a system that the coach defines, so it’s clear what the purpose is when they’re out there on both ends of the court.

Did any of you guys catch this nugget?

Teams that move the ball and PLAY DEFENSE...

-Most of the current team don't fit.

That are unselfish and care every night?

-There's your first Smoove rip.

Play with a system that the coach defines?

-There's your second Smoove rip.

Players that play with a purpose?

-Smoove is out of there.

• Premium Member

Did any of you guys catch this nugget?

Teams that move the ball and PLAY DEFENSE...

-Most of the current team don't fit.

That are unselfish and care every night?

-There's your first Smoove rip.

Play with a system that the coach defines?

-There's your second Smoove rip.

Players that play with a purpose?

-Smoove is out of there.

Wow, what a reach! Posted Image
  • Like 2

Did any of you guys catch this nugget? Teams that move the ball and PLAY DEFENSE... -Most of the current team don't fit. That are unselfish and care every night? -There's your first Smoove rip. Play with a system that the coach defines? -There's your second Smoove rip. Players that play with a purpose? -Smoove is out of there.

That's what I've been thinking this whole time. That Josh doesn't fit the kind of player that Ferry wants. I think he would accept Josh if it meant getting Howard. I think he would have surely kept Josh if they would have landed Howard. Now? eh.... I think Al is the most likely to stay. Unless Ferry gets something that is overwhelming, I can't see him moving Al. He might keep Teague if Teague shows improvement this year. But I think Josh will be gone. As for those 3's, you would think that Josh have stopped shooting 3's after he proved to be more efficient the season he didn't attempt a lot of 3's. The year Josh cut back on his 3's is the year he was most effective according to win shares. He was worth 9.3 wins that year. Last year he was worth 6.8 wins.

• Moderators

That's what I've been thinking this whole time. That Josh doesn't fit the kind of player that Ferry wants. I think he would accept Josh if it meant getting Howard. I think he would have surely kept Josh if they would have landed Howard. Now? eh....

I think Al is the most likely to stay. Unless Ferry gets something that is overwhelming, I can't see him moving Al. He might keep Teague if Teague shows improvement this year. But I think Josh will be gone.

As for those 3's, you would think that Josh have stopped shooting 3's after he proved to be more efficient the season he didn't attempt a lot of 3's.

The year Josh cut back on his 3's is the year he was most effective according to win shares. He was worth 9.3 wins that year. Last year he was worth 6.8 wins.

It is possible for Smoove to change. He just needs to stick to his role on the team and stop trying to do everything. Let the PG bring the ball up the floor. Let your shooters win the games while you play your defense... I believe Smoove knows what Ferry expects out of him from this point forward and that's not to be a point forward. lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Josh has a chance to be something special if he plays the way we all think he should be playing. If he doesn't fit what Ferry wants I can see Ferry trading him by the deadline, that pretty much goes for everyone on the roster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Josh has a chance to be something special if he plays the way we all think he should be playing. If he doesn't fit what Ferry wants I can see Ferry trading him by the deadline, that pretty much goes for everyone on the roster.

In reality, Josh doesn't really have that much of an offensive arsenal. He doesn't have a post game, a face up game, a jumpshot, or a dribble drive game. He is most efficient when he is not a number 1 or 2 option on offense. He needs to get his points through put backs, slashes, missed opportunities, lobs, and getting to the foul line. His speciality used to come from his defensive prowess, but nowadays he's not really the shot blocking force that he used to be. So in the end, Josh's ceiling is not as high as some would think. I think on a championship team he would be the third or fourth best player ala Lamar odom, shawn marion, etc...
  • Like 1

Agree with this. Ferry is throwing down the gauntlet to see who buys in or not. It's time the team follows his lead instead of coaches following JJ or Smoove.

Did any of you guys catch this nugget? Teams that move the ball and PLAY DEFENSE... - Josh That are unselfish and care every night? - Maybe referring to ISO Joe? Play with a system that the coach defines? - Referring to Joe when the ball would stop when it hit Joe's hand. Players that play with a purpose? Wonder that's one of the reasons why Joe is out.

I'm pretty sure Ferry is really high on Smoove. Edited by AHawks89

I'm pretty sure Ferry is really high on Smoove.

Those that really know and understand basketball are!! I think some of y'all are just fans and don't understand the dynamics of basketball and players. I will be the first to admit that Smoove has made plenty of bone headed plays but none exceed the things he does right on the court. If we had Lebron we'd be complaining about his threes excluding last year and his decision making and etc.. You can add Dwight, Kobe, Carmelo, Wade and even Durant to players that are great but not perfect. You don't know what you have until you no longer have it!! Luckily in our case the absence of Joe should give us a better perception of the type of player Josh is. Hopefully your tune changes once the season starts and gets into full bloom!!

Those that really know and understand basketball are!! I think some of y'all are just fans and don't understand the dynamics of basketball and players. I will be the first to admit that Smoove has made plenty of bone headed plays but none exceed the things he does right on the court. If we had Lebron we'd be complaining about his threes excluding last year and his decision making and etc.. You can add Dwight, Kobe, Carmelo, Wade and even Durant to players that are great but not perfect. You don't know what you have until you no longer have it!! Luckily in our case the absence of Joe should give us a better perception of the type of player Josh is. Hopefully your tune changes once the season starts and gets into full bloom!!

Josh's positives don't really match up with those guys' positives. He can do everything at an average level with the exeption of his help defense which is also slowly fading. He is the perfect five tool guy that can be the man on a lottery team but will ultimately be the fourth best player on a championship team. We are not going to win with him making max money, if we do resign him next year.

I'm pretty sure Ferry is really high on Smoove.

Ferry can be really high on Smoove right now, but if he doesn't buy in and follow the game plan, he will we gone.

No one is perfect but the difference between all those guys and Josh...........miles apart. You build teams around those guys, Josh not so much.