• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Get Rudy...

ryandauwalker

Based on the concerns with Josh, it makes a lot of sense to pull the trigger now and get Rudy Gay to see how everybody plays together. Here are the possible results:1) Perfect fit; it's exactly what we need to get over the hump. Throughout the year, we compete for one of the top seeds in the East. Settle with Gay/Smith/Horford as our core in the future with a resigned Smith.2) Team not there yet, insurance for Josh; Smoove has less leverage and can be a S&T candidate without us needing to blow it up.3) Disaster; very unlikely but his contract isn't very long and we can sign complimentary pieces around him, Lou and Horford in the offseason. Still will have a lot of cash with Smoove gone. If needed, we could trade him fairly easily unless he is beyond horrible with us,

I'm down to get him ( for the right price ). Would rather the deal not consist of Korver honestly but if it has to whatever I guess. Maybe Harris/Morrow/Petro and a pick. But I highly doubt Memphis would go for a deal like that when other teams could give a much better offer.

I'm down to get him ( for the right price ). Would rather the deal not consist of Korver honestly but if it has to whatever I guess. Maybe Harris/Morrow/Petro and a pick. But I highly doubt Memphis would go for a deal like that when other teams could give a much better offer.

Might as well move Korver in the deal as he's probably not going to stay in Atlanta past this year and definitely not if he's going to be the backup to Gay. As far as other teams being able to offer more, it depends on what the Grizzlies want in return for him, quality players, picks, cap relief, or some combination of those.

BTW Ryan I have no problem with having trade threads in the main forum as long as they are from real rumors and this Gay rumor does seem to have some legs to it.

Gay is a weird case. Everyone recognizes his very well-rounded offensive game, but it's just something missing with it. I don't watch him enough to really put my finger on it, maybe someone who sees him a lot can. I wanna say he isnt very efficient down the stretch and isnt the best passer in the world. One thing I'm pretty sure of is his defensive metrics aren't up to par with his athleticism and size. I'd love to have him here, but definately won't cry if Ferry feels he isn't worth a gamble. Our most pressing need is an above-average rebounder on both ends. Everything else is second.

Gay is a weird case. Everyone recognizes his very well-rounded offensive game, but it's just something missing with it. I don't watch him enough to really put my finger on it, maybe someone who sees him a lot can. I wanna say he isnt very efficient down the stretch and isnt the best passer in the world. One thing I'm pretty sure of is his defensive metrics aren't up to par with his athleticism and size. I'd love to have him here, but definately won't cry if Ferry feels he isn't worth a gamble. Our most pressing need is an above-average rebounder on both ends. Everything else is second.

I think I've picked up on it Benhillboy.. Rudy Gay has all the tools to be a 'good player' but his mentality towards the game isn't that of a closer/winner.. He has the same mentality as Joe.. Very content with just being a starter in the league. Have you ever seen him turn on the 'kill switch' and straight destroy teams? Nah.. Thats whats missing man.. The kid has to start taking everything personal on the court.. Just like Durant.. I mean Durant thinks every arena is his HOUSE.. We saw that a couple weeks ago..

• Moderators

Gay would have done nothing to stop the absolute beating the Hawks took inside and on the boards.

By the end of the game rebounds were actually even. The first half we got out rebounded badly though. It was really AK, Shved, Ridnour, and Rubio who were absolutely shredding us. The lack of defense from 1,2,3 positions for the Hawks was a huge problem. Not that Gay fixes that but Tony Allen would help.

• Premium Member

By the end of the game rebounds were actually even. The first half we got out rebounded badly though. It was really AK, Shved, Ridnour, and Rubio who were absolutely shredding us. The lack of defense from 1,2,3 positions for the Hawks was a huge problem. Not that Gay fixes that but Tony Allen would help.

The rebounding and defense improved because LD, out of desperation, played our most effective frontline in the fourth which addressed the biggest problem last night. Again, I like Gay and Allen, but neither guy addresses the REAL issue on this team.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2013/1/14/3875986/why-the-atlanta-hawks-should-not-pursue-a-rudy-gay-trade

This article has a bit of tunnle vision in that it only puts the statistical microscope on this season for Rudy Gay........and this season is the worst season of his career thus far.

I don't want him b/c he is not worth $17 mill in 2013-14 or $19 mill in 2014-15.