• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks Apparently Made a Play for Cousins

AHF

• Moderators

In an article posted on CNNSI today, SI's Chris Mannix reports that Atlanta was one of a number of teams that reached out to Sacramento in an effort to acquire the big man. Interesting to see...

After his most recent suspension, Boston, Charlotte, Atlanta, Washington and Dallas expressed interest in acquiring Cousins, only to be rebuffed.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130108/demarcus-cousins-sacramento-kings/#ixzz2HPjoYDQU

Would love to get a legitimate low post scoring option in here.

Unless you have Rose, Paul, Westbrook, Wade, James, or Durant (top 5 perimeter talent) on your team........you will need a low post scoring option to win in the playoffs.

Rasheed Wallace was the final piece to Detroit's Championship Team......of course that was back when Rasheed was a low post moster.

• Like 2

Sund gave Joe an almost nonreturnable contract. If I'm Belkin or Gearon I'm putting a governor on him too.

Belkin? Is he back in the picture? Did I miss something?

Would love to get a legitimate low post scoring option in here.

Unless you have Rose, Paul, Westbrook, Wade, James, or Durant (top 5 perimeter talent) on your team........you will need a low post scoring option to win in the playoffs.

Rasheed Wallace was the final piece to Detroit's Championship Team......of course that was back when Rasheed was a low post moster.

A low post option who shoots 42%? He must not be too much of a low post player.

Cousins is far from mediocre, better at rebounding than Josh and Al, better at getting to the FT line than any player we have. Guy would definitely upgrade this team and maybe he is tough and mean also. As for the rumor, it is worthless.

• Like 1

Cousins has anger issues that get out of control in a losing environment.

In a winning environment that anger turns into an "edge." He would be the type of guy who I could see refusing to shake hands and kiss cheeks before tip offs. That is the kind of big guy I want. the bigger and meaner the better.

I agree Cousins shooting percentage is a concern. He has some shot selection issues himself. He takes a lot of outside shots.....this goes back to his UK days. For a winning team I think he could get that under control......as he did at UK. Remember he is just 22 years old. He could be a senior at Kentucky right now........so there is still time to influence and mold him. Josh on the other hand is set in his ways.

Cousins has a per this year of 21.01 matching Josh Smith's highest per of his 9 year career. Cousins per last season, at only 21 years of age, was 21.7

The kid is oozing potential.......that is why the Kings are so reluctant to give up on him.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

Sund gave Joe an almost nonreturnable contract. If I'm Belkin or Gearon I'm putting a governor on him too.

He gave it at the insistence of Gearon Jr and Co. it's well documented that Gearon Jr was GM of the team and Sund was the nut-and-bolts guy that would execute his whim. I'm not a Sund fan, but let's place blame in the correct place. JJ's contract was a Gearon special.

• Moderators

Cousins has anger issues that get out of control in a losing environment.

In a winning environment that anger turns into an "edge." He would be the type of guy who I could see refusing to shake hands and kiss cheeks before tip offs. That is the kind of big guy I want. the bigger and meaner the better.

I agree Cousins shooting percentage is a concern. He has some shot selection issues himself. He takes a lot of outside shots.....this goes back to his UK days. For a winning team I think he could get that under control......as he did at UK. Remember he is just 22 years old. He could be a senior at Kentucky right now........so there is still time to influence and mold him. Josh on the other hand is set in his ways.

Cousins has a per this year of 21.01 matching Josh Smith's highest per of his 9 year career. Cousins per last season, at only 21 years of age, was 21.7

The kid is oozing potential.......that is why the Kings are so reluctant to give up on him.

He is a beast physically and is skilled but the shot selection issue is a real one and he still has work to do (as he admits) in terms of his focus.

His rebounding is the most attractive part for me.

His top 10 in total rebounds per 36 among NBA starter (12.0, right behind Kenneth Faried). He has outstanding passing and feel for the game for a big man and very quick and soft hands. He is not a leaper or a power dunker type player (thus better shot selection is unlikely to result in sky high efficiency) but he is big and strong (can body people up on both ends of the court) and has the ability to add a decent jumper as he improves (right now he takes way too many but the improving FT% is a good sign).

His behavior issues have been bigger in the NBA than they were in college so if I was a GM I would have to dig in and figure out if that is a Sacramento issue (they clearly have organizational and chemistry problems beyond him) or a Cousins issue (blame on anyone else only goes so far).

To the bigger point, I love seeing Ferry active when these opportunities arise. That is how I expect him to use our cap space - opportunistically. If he can't land a stud, I doubt he will sell our assets for an Al Jefferson or Carlos Boozer type of veteran.

The key is not that we didn't get DC but that we are active and trying to make this team better.

Well with me, the key is I don't really believe the rumor to be true and lastly how do we know that we did not or would not have offered some bogus mess that they would not except? Just hearing some rumor is worthless IMO.

• Premium Member

I betcha we offered B.S. for Cousins.

We didn't offer Smith.

I think a Cousins Horford combo would work well for both men. Cousins shot would improve because he would own the inside. Horf would be the High Post PF he wants to be.