• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Mike Scott

thecampster

I'm a big fan of the per36 stat. It isn't something that should be solely relied on and loses its importance the smaller the sample but it does show a little something about ability.

Mike Scott's per36 this year is 14.2 ppg and 10.3 rpg

by comparison

Horfords at 16.8 and 9.8

Smiths at 17.5 - 8.6

Johnson - 15.5 - 9.2

Petro - 11.2 - 9.7

Tolliver - 9.7 - 5.9

Korver - 12.7 - 4.6

there has to be some room for this kid in the lineup.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind seeing Scott take some minutes from the vets, but Drew is fighting for his job so there is no way he's giving a rookie minutes over a vet.

The Hawks have to get solidified at HC to fix this minute and development issue. Drew has never been stable and Woodson's most secure years were the ones where there were no expectations. Hopefully Ferry will get us a respected HC with a "long-term" contract.

• Moderators

I agree and generally i'm not on board with the concept of developing rookies (especially 2nd rounders) just to see if they can play. But this guy has impacted every time he hits the floor. He rebounds and shoots well. That seems like something we could use. I wouldn't mind seeing him play some PF next to Horford.

You can never have enough bigs who are smart and work hard. I like the kid. He just seems to have a nose for the ball, too. We can all agree that Ferry's first draft was a success. I'm still tripping off Jenkins D-ing up Kobe.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

I have been as skeptical as anyone on Mike Scott but am crossing my fingers that his very limited minutes show genuine promise for a rotation player for the future. I can't get in line for the Free Mike Scott rally as I am already pounding the pavement in line at the "Free Ivan Johnson" rally.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Free him next year. I like his stats and all but I'd play Ivan ahead of him this year.

Yep. If Mike takes minutes away from anybody, it'll be Ivan. This could be Ivan's last year as a Hawk because Scott = Ivan + shooting. I really hope it isn't Ivan's last season though because he gives this team grit.

• Moderators

Maybe we can consolidate these into a "Bench Tolliver" thread?

Thing about Tolliver is that he lives outside and can make three's as opposed to Scott/Ivan who thrive inside. Tolliver would be better playing the 3 than the 4 off of the bench. The real reason why Scott doesn't get playing time is because there are 3 guys ahead of him (4, if you include Tolliver) who can PF (Horford, Smith, Ivan). Maybe Scott will get more minutes if Smith isn't brought back and can learn to play a little 3. I could see a lineup of Zaza/Ivan/Scott during bench time. Or maybe even Ivan/Scott/Bench SF.

• Admin

I don't know why he is not down in the d-league getting legitimate playing time? That would only help him more then just sitting at the end of the bench up in the big leagues. There is a reason for the d-league. Why not take advantage of it.

• Premium Member

Anytime we're getting killed on the boards, Ivan or Scott should be going in. I wouldn't even mind seeing a big lineup with 3 PFs to get the tide to turn. I've noticed that we get killed on the boards almost every time we lose and thats because guys like Tolliver and Korver are playing heavy minutes at the 3 and getting outrebounded.

• Premium Member

Anytime we're getting killed on the boards, Ivan or Scott should be going in. I wouldn't even mind seeing a big lineup with 3 PFs to get the tide to turn. I've noticed that we get killed on the boards almost every time we lose and thats because guys like Tolliver and Korver are playing heavy minutes at the 3 and getting outrebounded.

Pretty much every night we get killed on the boards...Not just because of Tolliver or Korver but Devin Harris at the 2 and Deshawn Stevenson anywhere. Drew couldn't care less about rebounding so the chances of him realizing we can't win consistently without rebounding the ball consistently is just A Pipe Dream!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thing about Tolliver is that he lives outside and can make three's as opposed to Scott/Ivan who thrive inside. Tolliver would be better playing the 3 than the 4 off of the bench. The real reason why Scott doesn't get playing time is because there are 3 guys ahead of him (4, if you include Tolliver) who can PF (Horford, Smith, Ivan). Maybe Scott will get more minutes if Smith isn't brought back and can learn to play a little 3. I could see a lineup of Zaza/Ivan/Scott during bench time. Or maybe even Ivan/Scott/Bench SF.

The thing about Tolliver is that he generally misses those 3pt attempts so telling me that he lives outside isn't much of a sales pitch. Only Josh Smith shoots more 3's at a worse %. Tolliver at the 4 is an absolute disaster. Tolliver at the 3 is a bad option.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the per36 stat. It isn't something that should be solely relied on and loses its importance the smaller the sample but it does show a little something about ability.

Mike Scott's per36 this year is 14.2 ppg and 10.3 rpg

by comparison

Horfords at 16.8 and 9.8

Smiths at 17.5 - 8.6

Johnson - 15.5 - 9.2

Petro - 11.2 - 9.7

Tolliver - 9.7 - 5.9

Korver - 12.7 - 4.6

there has to be some room for this kid in the lineup.

He should be getting Tolliver's mins. Tolliver is a terrible player. Maybe he was a productive player 2 or 3 years ago, but now he sucks and only has a productive game in 1 out of every 8 to 10 games.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The thing about Tolliver is that he generally misses those 3pt attempts so telling me that he lives outside isn't much of a sales pitch. Only Josh Smith shoots more 3's at a worse %. Tolliver at the 4 is an absolute disaster. Tolliver at the 3 is a bad option.

The sad thing is that Tolliver actually had a little stretch early in March where he made a lot of threes at a nice clip. That means he has been pretty much a waste outside of those games because they are infalting his percentage.

The only thing I like about him is that he seems to give 100% effort. His effort doesn't make him a better option than another player, but I'll always give a bad player a little bit of love if it seems like they do give their max effort.

Edited by cam1218

Scott was a steal provided he can stay healthy. If he had not been injured in 10/11 he would have been a late first round pick.

Scott was a steal provided he can stay healthy. If he had not been injured in 10/11 he would have been a late first round pick.

• Moderators

Scott will turn 26 next summer (July 14) so I have to second the premise of getting him some meaningful time. He should be entering his prime over the next two seasons so he is either someone that should play or you aren't making good use of your assets.

Scott will turn 26 next summer (July 14) so I have to second the premise of getting him some meaningful time. He should be entering his prime over the next two seasons so he is either someone that should play or you aren't making good use of your assets.

Didn't know he was that old. I'll be expecting an Ivan-type career arc next season. Same wide range of utilities, minus a little nastiness and add on a little polish. I think he could be a big offensive rebounder in the 36, 48 minute splits and all that jazz. Something we need mightily.

Still hating on the ACC, huh?You have to remember he was a 2nd rounder. When was the last time we had a useful 2nd rounder that we drafted on this team? Or even just a decent 2nd rounder or undrafted player on our team? My mind might be playin tricks on me, but it has been a while. Zaza might be the last decent 2nd rounder from somewhere else. Would Chris Chrawford be the last decent 2nd rounder WE drafted?