• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thinking about Teague, Horf, and D-12.

Diesel

13 wins. As much as being middle of the pack, stuck in no mans land sucks - 13 wins, lottery bound is unwatchable basketball.I watch Bball to be entertained - winning entertains me.Like AHF said, Ferry had to evaluate the core players left after the trade to see how they would do with more responsibility. Even if it's a full rebuild, Ferry still has to determine if the young players without Joe if even one is worth keeping.

I'm just...not sure how to put this so that it makes sense to you guys. I'm not a Danny Ferry "hater" and I don't want to waste cap space. I applauded DF for turning down the lowball offers at the trade deadline, but at the same time, I saw no reason to wait all the way UP TO the trading deadline. I also don't see the point in resigning Josh Smith (unless he somehow miraculously decides to play the right way). It should also tell a lot of people something that we were so actively shopping him...but let's not turn this into a Josh Smith thread.

Honestly, you guys are just not getting what I'm saying. So, I'm just gonna bow out and let you have it. I think I've said my piece a hundred-zillion times. Understand though that we are again at one of those critical points in our franchise. We will look back at this with 20/20 and be like, "Wow...we shoulda/woulda/coulda..."

I'm telling you now that the best option last summer was a GUT and full on rebuild. The best plan this summer, unless we somehow miraculously land D12, is to avoid "win without losing."

Let's revisit this in 2-3 years.

We can revisit. I think what you wanted last season could happen next if we crap out in free agency. I really could care less about being in this seasons lottery. It is so weak that the 18th player taken has damn near as good a chance to be a starter as the 8th pick taken. The talent level is really that bad.

Another way of looking at this draft class. Archie Goodwin could go as high as lottery or drop to 15 to 20. And its not due to injuries or bad character There is just not a big separation of talent or upside between top ten and top ten through twenty.

• Premium Member

In fairness, Ferry might have been evaluating Josh as well for the first part of the season.

And I took that into consideration. Actually, that was the only logical conclusion I could come to... At the end of the day, if you know this team...then you know where it's headed with Josh Smith as the engine. Which is what frustrated me a little, because I just didn't see the point in prolonging the inevitable.

13 wins. As much as being middle of the pack, stuck in no mans land sucks - 13 wins, lottery bound is unwatchable basketball.I watch Bball to be entertained - winning entertains me.Like AHF said, Ferry had to evaluate the core players left after the trade to see how they would do with more responsibility.Even if it's a full rebuild, Ferry still has to determine if the young players without Joe if even one is worth keeping.

I heard that JayBird... But I also heard that 16 years ago. It may be unwatchable basketball, but those teams are snatching up tomorrow's stars. Individually, yeah it's a crapshoot...but collectively, that's where tomorrow's stars will be. If we manage to lure a top flight free agent, then...well...it's all good. But if not, we're going to hover right where we are. Eventually, those teams that you call "unwatchable" are going to draft the guys that you think are "unobtainable." Then you'll say building a team like Charlotte, Cleveland, or Phoenix is "impossible." And they'll eventually creep right over the top of us, on their way to the CF's and beyond.

For me, it's not so much about the lottery. It's about acquiring as much talent as possible and finding that one player to build around. Because right now, we just don't have that guy. The good part is, we've got great parts in place. We just have to be bold enough to move forward with a purpose.

I've been waiting for this summer to come around all season... This is where great GM's and organizations shine. I'll be able to tell quite a bit about DF when I see what this team looks like come next training camp.

Edited by Wretch

Reggie Miller just said on national television that Dwight Howard was not a max player. He stated that a max player is someone who can get you baskets and points in crunch time. He said that Howard was a nice power player but that someone was going to give him the max.

Reggie Miller just said on national television that Dwight Howard was not a max player. He stated that a max player is someone who can get you baskets and points in crunch time. He said that Howard was a nice power player but that someone was going to give him the max.

Heard that too.

• Moderators

...and Reggie Miller is some guru on contracts? Dwight may not be a max guy on a team that has a running history of championships, but when you are the Atlanta Hawks, are desperate for a star, and struggle to sell tickets, Dwight becomes a max guy. Honestly, I believe LA is just a horrible fit for Dwight from the top down. Atlanta would be a 20x's better situation. Horf, Smoove, and Teague are great players to have in a supporting cast. Hire SVG and Dwight and all will be well.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If a guy who can lead the league in rebounding multiple years while scoring 20 a night is not a max player, then there is no such thing as a max player.

Diesel please stop this. You have a great basketball mind, but this is borderline insanity. Besides Howard is the most overrated player in the league and I want him far away from the Hawks. When both players are healthy...I take Bynum over him every time.

Reggie Miller said it? Dang now I want Dwight more.

Does anyone still want Howard after last night? The guy showed zero character at all. Hist team is going down Alamo style (or was it like the Titanic) and instead of fighting to the end, he gets himself kicked out. If you are getting swept by a much better team, you keep on fighting to the end. I think it said a lot that Kobe showed up and went to the bench as soon as Howard got kicked out. At least he wasn't embarrassed to be with his team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Randy. I want him even more. Because NOW I know that he's seriously considering leaving LA. His mind is already gone. To be chastised by Magic and to have bad blood with Kobe and to be on a team that can't win next year either... It's time for Ferry to go to work.

Remember, Dwight would be a great fit here. We need his rebounding. We need his defense. He may not be a max player to the Great Reggie Miller but he's damn sure one for us. Give him the max. Bring him home. Put him beside Horford. Then we dominate the league.

• Like 1

Does anyone still want Howard after last night? The guy showed zero character at all. Hist team is going down Alamo style (or was it like the Titanic) and instead of fighting to the end, he gets himself kicked out. If you are getting swept by a much better team, you keep on fighting to the end. I think it said a lot that Kobe showed up and went to the bench as soon as Howard got kicked out. At least he wasn't embarrassed to be with his team.

Nothing new about Dwight lacking any mental composure when faced with adversity. He's demonstrated the same behavior in previous playoff series and even in his handling of the Orlando situation. Fans and GMs already know what they are getting with him, a dominant player who also just happens to be a class clown.

• Moderators

Agree with everyone pointing out that Dwight has serious maturity issues.

Personally, I think he would offensively be best on a team where he was allowed to set up in the low post and could fast break (not the Lakers this season) and where he was surrounded by perimeter shooters (not the Lakers this season) so I also agree with those calling the 2012-13 Lakers a bad on-court fit for Howard.

Agree with everyone pointing out that Dwight has serious maturity issues.

Personally, I think he would offensively be best on a team where he was allowed to set up in the low post and could fast break (not the Lakers this season) and where he was surrounded by perimeter shooters (not the Lakers this season) so I also agree with those calling the 2012-13 Lakers a bad on-court fit for Howard.

The team you describe is Orlando. Howard's biggest riff is they never teamed him up with a true second all star/option. Lewis and that huge contract was suppose to be his Robin but that turned out to be a horrible move.

• Moderators

The team you describe is Orlando. Howard's biggest riff is they never teamed him up with a true second all star/option. Lewis and that huge contract was suppose to be his Robin but that turned out to be a horrible move.

Stan Van Gundy is a smart guy and it isn't a coincidence that Howard went to the NBA finals with that kind of team. Van Gundy had the idea right with Howard, IMO.

Of course, Howard would have been better off with a prime Ray Allen or Stephen Curry, etc. over guys like Jameer Nelson and Courtney Lee and could have used more defensive help than he got from the likes of Lewis and Turk. I am not saying he wins an NBA championship surrounding him with mediocre to solid perimeter shooting (which pretty much sums up the personnel moves Orlando made) but the approach of surrounding him with perimeter shooters who will kill you if you leave them alone is right.

A Houston Rockets kind of approach (Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, etc.).

• Premium Member

For those of you that want Howard, apart from the Lakers not making the playoffs, I can't think of any better way to end his season in LA.

Edited by cam1218