• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clippers / Celtics / Doc / Paul Mega Thread: Please post in here, all others will be DELETED

• Moderators

Doc Rivers has interest in leaving the Boston Celtics to become the next head coach of the Los Angeles Clippers, according to sources.

The Clippers would put Rivers to the top of their list if he became available. The Celtics have not received a request from the Clippers to interview Rivers.

The Clippers are currently focused on talks with Brian Shawm Byron Scott and Lionel Hollins to replace Vinny Del Negro.

With Chris Paul becoming a free agent, the Clippers are looking to make a bold move at head coach.

Ruh roh, this may be the black coach CP3 would love to play for...

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228136/Doc-Rivers-Clippers-Have-Mutual-Interest

• Moderators

The Boston Celtics denied the Los Angeles Clippers' request earlier this week to talk to Doc Rivers about their head coaching job, according to a source.

Danny Ainge has rejected all official requests for Rivers, including from the Brooklyn Nets and now the Clippers.

Rivers is mulling over his future as coach of the Celtics.

Rivers has been leading the Celtics' pre-draft workout process.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228142/Celtics-Denied-Clippers-Request-To-Speak-To-Doc-Rivers

Hmm the Celtics denied it. Can Rivers just quit and then go take the Clips job if he wanted it? Though I can't imagine any coach of any worth working for Sterling. I also think CP3 is gone no matter what now as the Clips burned that bridge.

ESPNSteinLine:
One proposed solution in Celtics-Clippers talks, sources say: If Clips take back Courtney Lee or Jason Terry, Boston would relent on Bledsoe

ESPNSteinLine
Lee & Terry each have two years and nearly $11M left on their deals. BOS still seeking other assets from LAC but Lee or Terry may clinch it

BA_Turner
Courtney Lee and Jason Terry names have come up, something the Clippers are digesting to get deal done.

BA_Turner
Now word is deal between Clippers and Celtics is "close to being done very, very soon."

Jordan has a 15% trade kicker and two years on his contract. They know he's a bum but they just want to tank. LAL trades D12 to LAC and they turn LAC into a powerhouse and LAL is not getting James next year either. LAL needs to be smart. Sign D12 or let him walk. I hope we can sign CP3 and D12 but it will be extremely hard.

Edited by Leadership

Not really a nail in the coffin unless Howard was going to be traded there! Cp3 wasn't going to sign long term to play with old legs and no Howard!Cp3 and Howard is even better than a cp3,pierce,Garnett, Griffen!Kg and pierce just aren't the same! Howard would have to come to complete this deal

Doc was a big part of the equation, though.

Not really a nail in the coffin unless Howard was going to be traded there! Cp3 wasn't going to sign long term to play with old legs and no Howard!Cp3 and Howard is even better than a cp3,pierce,Garnett, Griffen!Kg and pierce just aren't the same! Howard would have to come to complete this deal

• Like 1

Sorry, I thought it was relevant to the Hawks; my point being that CP3 is still (however weakly) in play.

No worries, I'm just putting it here because all of the other LAC-BOS threads are here now. If something is directly related to the Hawks in this trade then Homecourt is fine for it, but this is indirectly related and only related in that way through fan speculation.

I know I was truly shocked when I saw that was the reasoning. Go ahead CP3 sign on the dotted line for 5 more years of that!

I know. At first we were like okay, Clips don't want to include Bledsoe for Paul insurance, that's perfectly sensible. Then it became just two 1sts which is a lil steep but Stepien and protections and I'd assume Doc and KG would keep them from giving up a Kyrie Irving again and they still said no? There has to be $omething else.......

• Like 1

• Moderators

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--doc-rivers-unsure-about-returning-to-celtics-as-coach-after-clippers-deal-falls-apart-171226963.html

Maybe its over but I have a big question.

Can you really trade a coach for a draft pick? I mean there is no way right? I'll have to find the article. It was on sbnation or hoopshype or something saying they would 'trade' doc for a 1st rounder. That's gotta be bs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--doc-rivers-unsure-about-returning-to-celtics-as-coach-after-clippers-deal-falls-apart-171226963.html After talks in a blockbuster deal fell apart over draft pick compensation, Doc Rivers is unsure about returning to the Boston Celtics as coach, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge informed Rivers of the failed trade talks on Tuesday morning, and reiterated the Celtics' desire to have him return and fulfill the final three years and $21 million left on his contract, sources said. The Celtics and Rivers planned to reach a final resolution in the next few days, sources said. The Clippers refused to part with two first-round picks and DeAndre Jordan as part of a package to bring Kevin Garnett and Rivers to Los Angeles. The Clippers had started to waver on the trade in the past few days, inspiring belief among many in the process that the notoriously frugal franchise had grown uneasy about paying Rivers the five-year, $35 million contract that it had negotiated with him, along with a $3 million-plus trade kicker on Jordan's contract. The Clippers had reached agreement with Rivers in recent days on a five-year, $35 million contract that included incentives that could have pushed his annual salary near $8 million, league sources said. The Clippers plan to return to interviewing candidates for their coaching job, including Brian Shaw, Byron Scott and Lionel Hollins, sources said. The Clippers informed the Celtics on Tuesday morning that they were unwilling to meet Ainge's price to complete the deal. There were no discussions about probing other ways to complete the deal, sources said. Nevertheless, there is always an opportunity for the teams to still revisit parameters of a deal until Los Angeles has hired a coach. This Clippers play was a gamble for Rivers, who has jeopardized his immense popularity in Boston with the bid to be part of a bold deal to go to Los Angeles with Garnett. Rivers pushed for the Clippers partnership because of his desire to bypass a rebuilding process with Boston. As one source tied to Boston ownership and Rivers said, "You don't just move on from this and act like nothing happened." Rivers has TV broadcast options available to him if he steps away from coaching, but he won't be able to work in the NBA again without the Celtics releasing him from his contract. Boston will demand compensation out of any team trying to hire Rivers in management or coaching.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--doc-rivers-unsure-about-returning-to-celtics-as-coach-after-clippers-deal-falls-apart-171226963.html

Maybe its over but I have a big question.

Can you really trade a coach for a draft pick? I mean there is no way right? I'll have to find the article. It was on sbnation or hoopshype or something saying they would 'trade' doc for a 1st rounder. That's gotta be bs.

Technically no they cannot do that. They'd have to trade the draft pick for some type of asset, be it player or future pick or even cash. Then the Celtics would have to give them a gentleman's agreement that they would let Doc out of his non-compete clause so he'd be free to leave the Celtics and become coach of the Clippers.