• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks in the mix for Greg Oden?

Dimesadozen

• Premium Member

I still could see us picking up either RFA Gerald Henderson (CHA doesn't want to pay him starter money when they have Kidd-Gilcrist there) or working out something for John Salmons (SAC having drafted Ben McLemore).

Why does everyone want this guy? His knees are DONE. 20 to 25 MPG my ass....

Because he knees aren't done is why. He has his tendon. His issue is injury prone and he had three knee surgeries like Sam Bowie.

He isn't like Bynum or Brandon Roy, he isn't bone to bone.

You can't teach 7 ft. Yes he's been injured most of his NBA career still with the lack of shot blocking 7 fters in the NBA and what he did in college Oden still is an intriguing player. The kid is still only 25 yrs old so you take a chance on him. High risk great reward potentially.

Edited by thescout5

• Admin

You can't teach 7 ft. Yes he's been injured most of his NBA career still with the lack of shot blocking 7 fters in the NBA and what he did in college Oden still is an intriguing player. The kid is still only 25 yrs old so you take a chance on him. High risk great reward potentially.

25 (looks 45) with the knees of a 65 year old

• Premium Member

You guys worrying about the knees should just chill. The Hawks have one of the best medical staffs in the NBA. They told Ferry no to Bynum due to his bone on bone condition. If they don't think Oden is worth the risk Ferry will follow their advice. I'm not over worried if we do sign him.

You guys worrying about the knees should just chill. The Hawks have one of the best medical staffs in the NBA. They told Ferry no to Bynum due to his bone on bone condition. If they don't think Oden is worth the risk Ferry will follow their advice. I'm not over worried if we do sign him.

I mean hey pick him up at a vets minimum and I'm fine with it. The risk is obviously way more than the reward here. Can't deny that I don't care who you are. No matter his age, he will NOT hold up for an entire season. Thinking he can play 20-25 MPG is laughable. 10-15 mins MAX.

I read on another post that the Hawks' interest in Oden was a smoke screen. I wonder why. What type of benefit would the Hawks gain from 'pretending to want Oden? Then it became obvious, when I read that the Hawks were negotiating a decreased buy-out for Bebe. Oden is being used as a pawn to convince Bebe's Spanish holders that Atlanta can walk away and leave him in Europe for a year. Either lower the buy-out or be stuck with Bebe for a year (while paying him a high contract). Interesting ploy from DF.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• Premium Member

Tim Mosgov just got 3/14. Oden is going to get paid.

My guess, assuming he gets thumbs-up on medicals... if Bynum gets $6 mil, I'll say Oden gets $5 mil... less mainly b/c he's been out of the game for all this time... 1 yr + team option for year 2.

• Moderators

I think we were honestly interested, I just think Oden told them he wasn't going to sign in Atlanta and we walked away.

Has there been a report we are out of the running?

It is very interesting that the Hawks are looking at Oden. It's clear that Ferry doesn't want Horf at the center long-term and prefers to play Horford at PF. However, DF wasn't going to land Dwight and didn't want to potentially overpay for Bynum. Nothing wrong with either IMO. Bebe is most likely going back to Europe. He's to green to play in the NBA and needs to bulk up. Also, this helps the Hawks with managing his contact down the line. However, it is clear that the Hawks aren't announcing that Muskala or Scott will make the roster. My guess is that both go D League. In that case the Hawks only have 2-3 legit backup PF/Cs. You know this team wants to go big.

Has there been a report we are out of the running?

Oden said the only 2 teams he is considering is NO and MIA. In fact, when it was reported about teams that had serious interest we were left off that list (only a few websites listed us). He has never said he was seriously considering ATL at all.