• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Kings interested in Dennis Schröder? (Putting #8 pick on trading block)

GameTime

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/05/20/kings-put-pick-on-trade-block/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

Kings put No. 8 pick on trading block

Posted May 20, 2014 9:38 PM

SACRAMENTO -- The Kings put the No. 8 pick in the draft on the trade block immediately after the lottery Tuesday night, league sources told NBA.com, clearly looking to add at least one impact veteran in an attempt to push into the playoff conversation next season rather than wait for another rookie prospect to develop.

While several teams choosing in the top 10 on June 26 will be fielding trade offers as part of a deep draft with several intriguing prospects, the Kings have signaled they will take a proactive approach in hoping to make a deal. It is the same aggressive stance the team took early in 2013-14, before the new front office headed by owner Vivek Ranadive and general manager Pete D'Alessandro made two moves, including acquiring Rudy Gay from Toronto in the kind of bold strike Sacramento would like to emulate with a valuable draft pick as bait.

The Kings have several needs in the aftermath of the 28-54 finish, most notably an upgrade on defense, adding dependable perimeter shooting and finding a playmaker point guard, whether or not Isaiah Thomas returns as a restricted free agent. Those could be addressed at No. 8 in the draft, but with the possibility of the kind of test of patience they just went through with Ben McLemore, the seventh pick in 2013.

It was immediately unclear if the Kings have a specific target. But Dennis Schröder, the German point guard firmly behind Jeff Teague on the Hawks depth chart, could come up. Had McLemore been gone at No. 7, Sacramento would have looked hard at Schröder or at trading back.

• Moderators

Offer Schröder + Lou for 8th pick + Derrick Williams. Mack is our backup PG. Gives SAC what they want in Schröder and gives ATL a pick + wing player. Can't believe that Sacramento is throwing the 8th pick on the table like that and are interested in Schröder, especially after he gave their prized center a cup check.

If they want cap relief then offer only Schröder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

• Premium Member

Offer Schröder + Lou for 8th pick + Derrick Williams. Mack is our backup PG. Gives SAC what they want in Schröder and gives ATL a pick + wing player. Can't believe that Sacramento is throwing the 8th pick on the table like that and are interested in Schröder, especially after he gave their prized center a cup check.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Doubt this has any legitimacy.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Doubt this has any legitimacy.

Stories posted on NBA.com usually come from the league offices. I'd say there is at least some truth to this story.

I was thinking this. 8th pick is really not appealing to me but Kings need a PG and PF. Randle and Vonleh will probably be gone and Ennis is not worth the 8th pick. Dennis may not be worth the 8th pick straight up to the Kings.

The deal would probably be Dennis+15 for the 8th pick.

I don't think a true game changer will be there at 8.

I don't know how Dennis, a little used rookie PG, qualifies as an "impact veteran". Is he really more ready to contribute than a Napier or Ennis? The piece is schizophrenic as there's really no way to reconcile the 17th pick in a historically weak draft having the same value as the 8th pick in a strong one.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Uhm.... Does the article say that they want Dennis or does it say that last year they would have taken Dennis had McLemore not falling to them?

IF so, you damn right we take #8 for Dennis.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

there is nobody around 8 worth trading for

There's a whole host of good players and possible guys who may fall to 8. Hell, if Jabari Parker fell to 8... IF Randle fell to 8.

• Like 2

I think to make that trade happen for #8 it would mean more of a rebuild than some would like.

They want players who can help them win now, Dennis alone is not it. Some of these other offers mentioned with bench players wouldn't get it done either I don't think.

On our roster, Milsap,Horford , maybe Teague would be the caliber player that they want. I think that's too steep of a price.

The player we take could be worth it, but do we want to take a step backwards next year? I like the direction that we are headed. I'd like to keep moving forward.

Now, if it were something like Milsap,Dennis,Korver for #8,Mclemore.. And we tried to package #8,#15 to move top three.. That may be a good deal for us.

Adding a top level draft talent with Teague and Horford would keep us moving forward next year I believe.

I was thinking this. 8th pick is really not appealing to me but Kings need a PG and PF. Randle and Vonleh will probably be gone and Ennis is not worth the 8th pick. Dennis may not be worth the 8th pick straight up to the Kings.

The deal would probably be Dennis+15 for the 8th pick.

I don't think a true game changer will be there at 8.

I think that would be the deal too........and I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.