• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Quin Snyder hired for Jazz head coach job (update Darvin Ham may join him)

Admin

This blows! He played a major role developing Mack last season. Just as Sam Mitchell got signed by MIN. Anyone think Atlanta would give Herb brown a look?

Minny hired Sam Mitchell. When? Dang I liked him on nbatv.

• Moderators

THE HAMOVER

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/ham-to-coach-hawks-summer-league-team/ngGPj/

Darvin Ham will coach the Hawks in the Las Vegas Summer League next month.

General manager Danny Ferry told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Saturday that the plan is for the assistant coach to assume the duties. Quin Snyder coached the Hawks’ summer league team last year. He was hired as head coach of the Jazz Friday.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I really hate to see this happen. Congrats to Quinn,but would have liked to see this coaching staff stayed intact.

Sooo... When was the last time a Hawks assistant was hired for a head coaching job? #stopdoubtingbud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think someone hired one of Lenny Wilkens assistants .. so 15- 20 years ago was the last time.

I think it was, without a doubt, just training for Snyder. And I think it's a testament to Bud, that he landed in Atlanta in the first place. It bleeds down from Pop, but we have a good coach to learn from.... Finally.

Larry Drew got a job with us and the Bucks

Ya but I think pssshh meant directly from assistant to head coach of another team. Drew became our head coach first before joining the Doe's

Brian Winters
brianWinters.jpg

Winters' head coaching experience began in 1995, when he was chosen to guide the expansion Vancouver Grizzlies. In two seasons in Vancouver, he installed a competitive nature that allowed the club to overcome the obvious expansion obstacles of a tough beginning. Prior to taking the Grizzlies head coaching position, Winters spent two seasons as an assistant coach with the Atlanta Hawks (1993-95) and seven seasons as an assistant coach with the Cleveland Cavaliers (1986-93). In those nine years as an assistant in Atlanta and Cleveland, he coached alongside Lenny Wilkins, the winningest coach in NBA history.

During his previous tenure as an NBA assistant coach, Winters helped guide four teams to 50-plus win seasons and helped qualify his teams for the playoffs in seven of the nine years. In Atlanta, the Hawks compiled a 99-65 record and a .604 winning percentage during Winters' two seasons in Georgia. His seven seasons in Cleveland were highlighted by five playoff runs and two 57-win seasons.

• Like 2

So Flip hired himself as coach over Mitchell? Won't be the first bad move he makes. I know we got a few Wolves fans here, and I feel for you.

Flip probably felt that his zone heavy defenses were the only way to mask all of the negative defensive players on the roster.

• Premium Member

So Flip hired himself as coach over Mitchell? Won't be the first bad move he makes. I know we got a few Wolves fans here, and I feel for you.

He did it to sell the Wolves to Love and to an extent the rest of the roster in case Love still wants out. Flip is a good coach. Frankly I think he's only in the job for a year or two and one of the assistant coaches will be groomed to replace him like a Sam Mitchell.

• Premium Member

Well, while it's nice to have continuity, I think there's no shortage of quality guys out there who Bud has had first-hand experience with, either as other coaches or players, and can bring-in.

Well, while it's nice to have continuity, I think there's no shortage of quality guys out there who Bud has had first-hand experience with, either as other coaches or players, and can bring-in.

I'm sure there are but you've got an entire year lost with his top 2 guys if Darvin leaves. Plus no telling how much they were responsible for some of our players growth. Happy for Darvin moving up but not happy that we'd now have to replace 2 top assistants.

• Like 1

I'm sure there are but you've got an entire year lost with his top 2 guys if Darvin leaves. Plus no telling how much they were responsible for some of our players growth. Happy for Darvin moving up but not happy that we'd now have to replace 2 top assistants.

I'm upset Snyder is gone but won't lose sleep over Darvin being gone.