• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks tried to trade Horford at the deadline?

DatWerkk

I apologize if this has already been discussed and/or if it's common knowledge, but I'm just now hearing about this.

I was listening to Bill Simmons on his podcast talking to Zach Lowe and they both said that the Hawks quietly shopped Al Horford at the trade deadline. Uhhh, we did??

Does anybody else have any more details on this?

This is news to me. Very rare though that a player who is injured and out for the season is traded. Bill Simmons probably had him going to the Celtics for a 2nd round pick lol. Smh homer.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11007692

Zach Lowe says it at about the 41 minute mark.

This reminds me of a snippet of an article from Zach Lowe during February:

Danny Ferry, true to Spurs form, is radio silent, and Lou Williams’s decline has robbed him of a once intriguing piece. This is a solid roster filled with talented players on movable contracts, but that can cut both ways. The Hawks might be happy landing the no. 3 spot in a turd conference, staying lean, and keeping the war chest intact for whatever comes down the line. But they could also act if a talent they like becomes available, and sources around the NBA continue to insist Ferry is not in love with Jeff Teague’s four-year, $32 million deal. Don’t sleep on the Hawks.

http://grantland.com/features/the-nba-swap-meet/

So he's radio silent, but you are hearing that he does not enjoy Jeff Teague's contract? Anyone see the walking talking contradiction here?

Those two also mentioned that "no one really reported on [Horford being shopped]" and then made a mention that Bill did report on it last week...has anyone seen this? I think this is two douchers just slinging bullshit around.

Oh wait I found where Bill Simmons "reported" this:

Prediction No. 4: Out of the Lakers (no. 7), Kings (no. 8) and Charlotte (no. 9), two of those three teams will trade out of those spots for an “impact” guy.
In my opinion, here are the “impact” guys who could be pried away for the right price: Rajon Rondo, Al Horford and Paul Millsap (the biggies would take major prodding though); Brook Lopez (the biggest risk/reward guy out there); Greg Monroe and Gordon Hayward (would need to be a sign-and-trade); Arron Afflalo and Nik Pekovic; David Lee (VERY available); Ersan Ilyasova, Ryan Anderson and Thaddeus Young (not for a top-10 pick, but as part of a bigger deal); Dion Waiters (intriguing); Harrison Barnes (intriguing!); Ricky Rubio (intriguing!!!); and just for the hell of it, Ty Lawson (INTRIGUING!!!!).

Phoenix Suns: They have a bunch of decent assets (the nos. 14, 21, 28 and 29 picks, Alex Len, the Morris twins, etc.) but no headliner. They’d have to package multiple picks to move up to no. 5 (Utah) and no. 7 (Lakers). Not likely. (More likely for them: Al Horford.)

http://grantland.com/features/the-nba-simmons-self-mailbag/

This is reporting?

Edited by hawksfanatic

Simmons is no longer a reporter, he's a talk show host. His job now is to make stuff up so people will tune-in.

Not that i read or listen to Bill much, but from what is posted here, Simmons believes Horford is available for the right price. Frankly, Al should be available for the right price. He's a very nice piece, but not someone you can directly build around.

Simmons is no longer a reporter, he's a talk show host. His job now is to make stuff up so people will tune-in.

Not that i read or listen to Bill much, but from what is posted here, Simmons believes Horford is available for the right price. Frankly, Al should be available for the right price. He's a very nice piece, but not someone you can directly build around.

Al is someone you can build around but you need the right PG. We don't have that right now. Dennis is years away from proven he is that guy. Al has show he can score 18PPG without being able to create his own offense at a great pace. Give him a creating PG and that will change the game like getting LMA a legit true center next to him.

Simmons is always a fun read and I enjoy his perspective on a lot of historical events in basketball but he's about the last guy I go to about any breaking news.

Learning about what constitutes a NBA player's typical strip club routine from his dry snitch Jalen? Sure. Learning that a blockbuster is in the works between Apple and Beats by Dre? He'd only know when he sees the Apple logo on the box next time he's in RadioShak.

• Moderators

I think people are being a little unfair with Simmons on here. He has never pretended to be a real reporter or tried to hide the fact that he is heavily biased towards his Celtics. His schtick has always been that he is a common man fan who writes some entertaining opinion pieces. As his audience has grown, he has gotten a few actual contacts in the league and now he is getting overexposed but nobody should confuse the guy with or have the same expectations as someone like David Aldridge. He isn't a source for breaking news - he is the guy who gives you his opinions on a game he loves intermixed with pop culture references.

Now to the extent Simmons and Lowe (who is supposed to be a real reporter) are quoting Simmons "mailbag" pieces as "reporting", then they have only themselves to blame when they get blasted for lacking real sources.

• Like 1

How does a suggestion/prediction of who can be had for the right price become DF tried to trade Horford at the deadline? Especially if you are gonna quote your own work as the source. Smh!

Edited by JayBirdHawk

DF is not trading our best player. He's got a reasonable contract, and he's an all-star and still young, 27.

He actually just turned 29 in February. And besides nobody said anything about him trying to trade Millsap.

• Like 2

He actually just turned 29 in February. And besides nobody said anything about him trying to trade Millsap.

Whaaat? Wrong wrong wrong - Al is turning 28 tomorrow!

@Dolfan23 - you bastard, I see what you did - Millsap=best player, you got me lol.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

How does a suggestion/prediction of who can be had for the right price become DF tried to trade Horford at the deadline? Especially if you are gonna quote your own work as the source. Smh!

My thoughts as well! The guy quoted his own work as the source!!!! I call BS on all of this! Simmons is a joke.

• Moderators

For these guys there are about 6 teams in the league they care about or have respect for. The rest of the league are just teams for them to scheme ways to rob talent from. But it really kills them when a non-chosen team has a talent like Horford.