• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks are like Spurs topics

Dirtybird26

Jay, I think Lou can still be that guy for us. He didn't slash as much last season because he wasn't 100%. He's cheap and I get the feeling everyone will be glad he's on the team next season when he comes back at full strength.

I disagree - it's not just about his slashing - it's also his defense and his ability to run the team effectively when TP isn't. The Spurs can run the offense thru him or have him run plays for either himself or to set up his teammates.

I just don't see that with Lou.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Jay, I think Lou can still be that guy for us. He didn't slash as much last season because he wasn't 100%. He's cheap and I get the feeling everyone will be glad he's on the team next season when he comes back at full strength.

Lou is NOTHING like Ginobilli.

Ginobilli is one of the most complete guards in the game. He can fit just about any role on the team. He can play three positions effectively without hurting the team on either end. He is an excellent pick and roll player, he is an excellent play maker, he can defend, and he can score in a multitude of ways. (slashing, 3pt shooting, etc..)

Lou is a single dimensional guard who only contributes to the team by putting some points up on the board. If he doesnt do that he is virtually useless.

• Like 2

The problem with Lou is that he's the size of a PG. Manu is the size of a SG/SF. To play Lou, we have to go extremely small in the backcourt, with Lou or Teague or Mack trying to guard a SG. If he's just an average size spot up shooting SG, that's fine. If he's a slashing SG that is bigger, that's a problem.

If you want a Manu type of SG on this team, the guy that everybody hates is the answer . . . Lance Stephenson

• Like 2

• Moderators

Parker / Mills > Teague / Mack

Manu / Green / Belinelli > Korver / Lou

Leonard / Green > DMC / Korver

Duncan / Diaw > Sap / Scott

Splitter / Duncan > Horford / Antić

There is a reason the Spurs have won an average of 58 games the last 4 years and the Hawks last won 58 games in....well, never.

• Like 3

its not only leonard, we dont have a dynamic wing like ginobilli who can slash and run pick and roll nor we have a post player like duncan who can draw double teams and make defenses pay for doubling him.

The problem with our team is that we were too jumpshot reliant and didnt have much activity in the paint or going towards the basket. The spurs have a great balance of inside and outside play. The spurs averaged 21 3PT attempts this post season. Hawks this post season averaged ..... 33 3PT attempts.. Significantly more than the team who averaged the 2nd most 3PT attempts (26.3) Golden state warriors.

Its not just Leonard, its the whole dynamic of the team that is different.

We only shot that many 3's because we were playing without Horford. I'd guess we shot 10 less per game with him in the lineup. I think the quickest way for us to become a respectable comparison to the Spurs is to draft a quality wing at 15 and sign another. Then Bebe needs to provide some length and activity around the basket we're lacking, or we need to get it from somewhere else. And then it's a matter of the players grasping the system well enough to execute consistently. Definitely need some luck (which we're clearly due for), but I think we could be at the top of the East in 2 years.

• Like 1

Let me challenge that:

#1. Pacers - They are still built right.

#2. Heat. - Wade is getting older. Can they keep old man Ray?

#3. Nets. Lopez was the best Center in the game when he left. KG didn't do that much for this team and they have developed Anderson and Lopez's Backup.

#4. Wiz. Wall + Hammer + Beal = Dayuuum.

#5. Hornets. First year with old name back = Magical. I look for them to add Stephenson or somebody who will add to what Big Al is doing.

#6. Us. As is right now. However, if we add some good wing play this could change.. but those above us are really good.

#7. Raptors. Last season was a fluke. They are not that good. I doubt they keep Lowry.

#8. Knicks. Having Phil Jackson and D-Fish coaching will get them somewhere with or without Melo.

I didnt put the Pacers for 2 reasons....Lance Stephenson and Roy Hibbert

Edited by Dirtybird26

its not only leonard, we dont have a dynamic wing like ginobilli who can slash and run pick and roll nor we have a post player like duncan who can draw double teams and make defenses pay for doubling him.

The problem with our team is that we were too jumpshot reliant and didnt have much activity in the paint or going towards the basket. The spurs have a great balance of inside and outside play. The spurs averaged 21 3PT attempts this post season. Hawks this post season averaged ..... 33 3PT attempts.. Significantly more than the team who averaged the 2nd most 3PT attempts (26.3) Golden state warriors.

Its not just Leonard, its the whole dynamic of the team that is different.

I disagree a little with the too jumpshot reliant part.....

Bud made a decision that a wide open 3 (we got A LOT of good looks vs. Pacers) was better than a long 2. All of our supposed mid range 2's became 3's to improve our efficiency (if we had hit some open jumpers we win the series easily). This is Bud/Ferry's philosophy so we better get used to it. They HATE long 2's unless you can hit 50% of them (Al Horford anyone?)

We went to the line and attacked A LOT (more than we did under Woody/Drew's "long 2 jumper" regime). The problem we had was Teague and Millsap were the only 2 great at it.

When you have an all star team, IE, a star at every position and they all

play like all stars, how can the Heat not be #1?

The King almost had a heat stroke last night. However, just to prove that

he is human, he had terrible cramps and had to leave the game.

The Heat have a monopoly. No one has near the talent that they have.

And, if they need another all star, all they have to do is ask and one will

come running, painting like a fat puppy.

Personally, I hope that the Spurs bury them in the playoffs. That's not

likely to happen, just the opposite, probably. Still, I can hope.

GO SPURS!!

• Premium Member

Duncan, Parker and Ginobli are HOF bound when it's all said and done. Nobody on the Hawks is in that category nor will they be. Running the same system is the only common factor. Thd Hawks are not remotely close to being the Spurs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I didnt put the Pacers for 2 reasons....Lance Stephenson and Roy Hibbert

Well, I think Stephenson prolly stays. Hibbert gets his mind right. He can't be mad about the jump off.

They all go fishing with PG... and they come back with a better BU PF and real PG and they do well.

We went to the line and attacked A LOT (more than we did under Woody/Drew's "long 2 jumper" regime). The problem we had was Teague and Millsap were the only 2 great at it.

that was the whole point of my post. We only have 2 people who can really attack a defense and score in the paint so we have to resort to jacking up 3's to produce points. That is the foundation of our offensive system because we have such a limited offensive personnel. The spurs have a multitude of players that can attack a defense like Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Leonard etc... which is a key reason to why their system is so deadly offensively and lead to them having the best record in the league with a Finals berth.

We cant just look at the success the spurs system is having and expect to mimic its success without having the same kind of horsepower to run the system. The difference between us and the spurs is MUCH larger than Leonard.

Edited by yungsta
  • Like 1

JTB... Meet your soulmate. I think this match would start with excitement and end with exclamation. Just like y'all's sentences. lol jk jk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol....we need some more excitement and exclamation around here!...lmao

Hopefully he doesn't start posting long ass threads like me! Lol

• Premium Member

It's so amazing how much we play like the Spurs, but with more offensive explosion. If we can be as good as the Spurs defensively, we'll be a playoff team teams would want to avoid.

that was the whole point of my post. We only have 2 people who can really attack a defense and score in the paint so we have to resort to jacking up 3's to produce points. That is the foundation of our offensive system because we have such a limited offensive personnel. The spurs have a multitude of players that can attack a defense like Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Leonard etc... which is a key reason to why their system is so deadly offensively and lead to them having the best record in the league with a Finals berth.

We cant just look at the success the spurs system is having and expect to mimic its success without having the same kind of horsepower to run the system. The difference between us and the spurs is MUCH larger than Leonard.

We also have Horford back next season, so that makes three. Now add in a decent pick at 15 and hopefully a decent free agent with 8 to 10 in cap.

As far as the Spurs system goes, they are not shy about jacking up threes.

Spurs attempted 21.4 threes a game during the regular season.

We attempted 25.8 threes a game during the regular season.

With a healthy Horford playing and taking his 14 to 15 shots a game, one has to think we would have lost a few three point attempts every game.

• Like 2

I think Horford+Millsap is close enough to Splitter+Current Duncan. Teague is Parker-Lite. We need our Leonard, Ginobili (who ain't what he used to be) and Diaw. Hopefully we can knock out two of those this offseason, then get the third next offseason.

Draft Saric (Diaw on steroids, possibly), sign Deng (Leonard-lite), sign Dragic next offseason (Better than modern Gino)?

I think Horford+Millsap is close enough to Splitter+Current Duncan. Teague is Parker-Lite. We need our Leonard, Ginobili (who ain't what he used to be) and Diaw. Hopefully we can knock out two of those this offseason, then get the third next offseason.

Draft Saric (Diaw on steroids, possibly), sign Deng (Leonard-lite), sign Dragic next offseason (Better than modern Gino)?

Both Duncan and Splitter have center size, Sap and Horf don't. Teague is Bobby Jackson lil bro. We won't have a Leonard but DMC is decent. We could use someone with more potential. Manu is still something that's hard to find and we don't need to look.

Lou is NOTHING like Ginobilli.

Ginobilli is one of the most complete guards in the game. He can fit just about any role on the team. He can play three positions effectively without hurting the team on either end. He is an excellent pick and roll player, he is an excellent play maker, he can defend, and he can score in a multitude of ways. (slashing, 3pt shooting, etc..)

Lou is a single dimensional guard who only contributes to the team by putting some points up on the board. If he doesnt do that he is virtually useless.

Look at Manu's stat line in game one of the NBA finals. 16 points, 10 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals, and a block. To think we'd get that production in one out of 82 games from Lou is a stretch....

This, exactly this!!!

So many times Pero had an open lane to the basket and would just shoot from long range or he would drive and pass up an easy shot at the rim. With Al that would definitely be different.

Lou was supposed to be our Manu - turns out he's not even Manu's bald spot.

Couldn't agree more. Al can make our offense work a lot like theirs. Outside in our inside out.

I would love to get Dragic! Imagine if Teague and Dragic were in the same backcourt....Along with whoever we get this FA (Hayward,Deng,Granger) possibilities are endless as to how far we really can go!