• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Observations from Spurs game

capstone21

• Admin

Man we just can't beat SA in San Antonio .... Frustrating

Refs were HORRIBLE ... So many bad calls ... That Teague one comes to mind

Live by the three .... Die by the three ... We couldn't hit in the first half but our d and shooting really picked it up in the second. SA missing all those free throws didn't hurt either

We don't give up ... Down 17 and we still fight to the end ... Love the heart of this team

DMC was awesome and kept us in it

Al was off but had his hands full with Timmy... He had some clutch plays and made some really nice passes

Sap came out flat but finally for the first time this season showed signs of last years Milsap

Teague was a mess most of the game... Looks like he has come back down to earth

Korver was off tonight as well but I still contend helmets fouled,going to the basket newparmthe end

Scott is really gaining my trust .... Kid seems to really know how to score in bunches

Sephalosa showed some great d this game .... Been waiting for him to show up ... First time he contributed this season.

Dennis ... Best game as a Hawk ... Looked really confident out there and I let out a whoop when he made that dunk ... Where the f did that come from?

Manu knows how to draw those fouls ... He really has a knack for it

That Duncan kid is going to be a good player some day

Will we ever win in San Antonio??? Please just once before Duncan retires

Edited by capstone21
  • Like 3

SA 38 ft
Atl 11 ft

Nice win refs...

No but in all seriousness both teams played sloppy basketball it just so happened that they got more calls at the end of the day. EVEN THOUGH we played better than them 3/4 of the game. It blows that we lost like that after the refs missed the blown call on Korver, Give Manu the three free throws, give Manu even more free throws on a bailout drive to the hoop, and the list of blown calls in that game go on and on and on. And DONT even get me started on that foul on Teague in the second quarter where they stopped our fastbreak. I know there is no such thing as a moral victory in the NBA. But for us to fight back from having a complete dreadful first quarter is something to look forward to for our game against the Hornets friday.

GO HAWKS!

• Admin

Once the helmets were fouled newparmthe end I knew it was over.

lol damn ipad ... Completely changed what I wrote ... It was supposed to read ... 'I contend he was fouled when he drove to the basket near the end.' I don't know where that ipad translation came from

lol damn ipad ... Completely changed what I wrote ... It was supposed to read ... 'I contend he was fouled when he drove to the basket near the end.' I don't know where that ipad translation came from

Lol lol lol - thanks for the clarification. I had my faced scrunched up trying to figure they out.

Disappointing loss.

A lot of you mentioned good points though. Sloppy game by both teams, atrocious referees, etc.

I love the heart of this team though and hopefully this game is a stepping stone and not just a 2nd place trophy that will collect dust on the shelf. 

The Spurs really did shut down our offense in the 1st half and even when we had good opportunities, we could barely sink anything. Took a while for the offensive rhythm to get going. 11 FTA opposed to 38 FTA is a nice fine home cooked meal. 

That definitely was Dennis' best game as a Hawk as you mentioned, Cap. 

Junkyard has been standing out for me so far this year. He locked the reigning Finals MVP in a vice for 11 points while he poured in 17. He's still nasty and pesky as ever on the ball, but I saw him dribble through traffic and hit a mid-range baseline jumper off the dribble, two things you wouldn't want him attempting last year.

• Like 1

Lol lol lol - thanks for the clarification. I had my faced scrunched up trying to figure they out.

Scrunched up...lol that's nothing. My cool ass looked at it then said "oh! I know what that means"

LMAO....that's me to be a know it all again.

• Like 2

I think the layoff was part of the problem in the 1st

True, I didn't even think of that. I think Bud missed a timeout oppurtunity or two to stem the tide early to settle the guys and not allow it to get out of hand to 17, but I like his confidence that the vets can get it together on their own within the flow of the game. An average NBA team wouldn't have come within 6 at any point.

That three that Mike missed to take the lead and could've ultimately won the game was halfway down, I died when it spun out. So close, even with the refs treating the Hawks as they usually do.

• Moderators

What I realized is that they aren't trying to groom Dennis to take the backup PG spot from Mack.   They don't want him to be the backup PG.  They want him to be the starter.   Mack will always be a backup in this league but hopefully Dennis won't.

I mean really.  I'm so tired of complaining about refs in the NBA but this is just absurd.   Can you even review a play to see if it was a foul?   Geez.   Sap and Korver were getting hammered too.   Hawks did well but we can't settle for moral victories this year.

• Like 2

What I realized is that they aren't trying to groom Dennis to take the backup PG spot from Mack.   They don't want him to be the backup PG.  They want him to be the starter.   Mack will always be a backup in this league but hopefully Dennis won't.

I mean really.  I'm so tired of complaining about refs in the NBA but this is just absurd.   Can you even review a play to see if it was a foul?   Geez.   Sap and Korver were getting hammered too.   Hawks did well but we can't settle for moral victories this year.

Agree with both these points.  I got the impression they're begging Dennis to progress well enough to start (just a gut feeling).

Also, I'm pretty sure it's not acceptable to review a play to see if a foul occurred.  I thought that was only for flagrants.  Maybe the guy thought Teague kicked Manu on purpose and wanted to review to see if he should be ejected.  That would make sense.  I don't think they are allowed to go to review to call a common foul.  If not, I suspect that crew will get a call on it from the league.

• Premium Member

As I said in the game thread, the refs were horrible. I wish we had a guy or a coach that would risk getting a T in a game to point out how horribly one sided the calls were. I mean seriously they had almost FOUR TIMES as many free throws as we did. And those phantom fouls on Manu were a joke esp. when you consider on our end our guys were getting fouled and no calls at all.

On the bright side, this game is why I am so high on Dennis and have been after he was drafted. That kid can flat out play. He HAS TO get more minutes.

• Like 2

Of course they want Dennis to be the starter. Dennis has All NBA talent and Jeff is a good player who is solid PG who could go off on teams with bad PG's but in this role and system, he doesn't fit. Meltdown, I told you this months ago as well. And Meltdown and Bonkers needs to stop trolling Dennis.

Macdaddy, it seems like I was right but WRONG. I was right on our lack of size, Bazemore and Jeff but wrong on our wins. This isn't a 50 win team. 45 maybe but not 50. Too small in today's NBA. Nowadays everyone has a decent true center. This isn't 2009 anymore. Horf was a good post defender when Smoove was playing helpside but with Sap, Horf post D at center looks weak. With that said, they do a great job of defensive rotations. Offensively, Sap and Horf just don't mesh but you see the talent. They just don't mesh.

We played well and this team isn't a fluke like last year's team but they just aren't big enough. Need a true center like Gasol or maybe even Monroe.

Edited by nbasupes40retired
  • Like 1

It wasn't all bad... The good points has already been addressed here... But I suspect this team will always be handicapped by Bud in late game situations. He needs to be self-aware enough to understand that his is a weakness and address it. He needs to add an assistant that can help.

Overall, it was another wasted effort. I don't care about the moral victories. It's the same old same old. Typical of Georgia teams.