• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Timberwolves

lethalweapon3

I just wonder, Dolfan...is there really no advantage in having a single player crash? Tony Allen sure did make a difference in the last game.

Beats me it's not my system. I'm guessing if we had a guy like Kawhi at SF or a plus rebounder at SG then we might have a different philosophy but who knows.

Yet again lw3 comes thru big!! Loved the Spaniard Rubio reference, reminded me of Gladiator. Also the Budenhustle had me giddy. Like you mentioned I'm scared of Flip's February garage sale aka vets for sale aka large dose of Martin, Mo, Pek n Thad. Combine that with their athletic youth and us coming off a tough road loss to the Grizz on a back to back might equal some trouble.

I think with our savvy vet leaders we will be ready to get this one. Hawks by 11.

LETS GO HAWKS!!!!!!

I'd like to submit my name as the official Squawk handicapper. Thanks in advance for the consideration.

After last night's stumble, we've got our Hawks back !

Last night Horford and Millsap couldn't.  Tonight, they did!  Plus, our

defensive guru got his season and career high in points.  Congratulations!

Good game and tremendous second half.  Another team win.

GO TEAM ATL !!

P.S. - Good to see that Brand kid back on the floor!

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2

That's Bud's philosophy of preferring them to get back on D vs crashing the glass. Long 3's usually lead to long rebounds and run outs so we gotta get back and stop transition.

That's about the Hawks getting their own offensive rebounds. Not about the Hawks giving up a ton of Offensive rebounds to the other team. We have a DEFENSIVE rebounding problem.

I just wonder, Dolfan...is there really no advantage in having a single player crash? Tony Allen sure did make a difference in the last game.

We're a defensive team, so no. The rebounding debate is a fascinating one, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. No good coach turns a blind eye to it, definately don't think that Bud does.

Playing passing lanes and overloading a lot may have an effect in rebounding position from the perimeter guys in the first three quarters, but the guys usually gang rebound in the fourth. Part of it is Bud just accepting the length disadvantage we face up front many nights and choosing to highlight the advantage in footspeed. That's what so many people who discuss this team fail to realize/remember: outside of Kyle and Pero, all of our players are small for their position. Conversely, faster and quicker than most of their counterparts. They like to forget this is the SmallBall and Stretch 4 era only when they talk about us, then it somehow harkens back to the Chamberlain/ Russell days.

The X's and Os are exceptional true, but the foundation for this unbelievable season is simple and clear IMO: we run harder, pass more, and dribble less than our opponents. That simply wouldn't happen with a bigger, plodding team.

Also don't forget that after the stats are adjusted for the night we should be the second best shooting team in the league, that limits your offensive rebounding oppurtunites a bit.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

Crashing offensive glass means giving up lanes on the defensive end. Frankly I think we should crash the glass more but it clearly is something Bud does not agree with. We get back immediately on defense.

I still can't believe Wolves fans howl during free throws... I mean you don't hear Hawks fans PSSSHHHRRR or anything. lol

Actually I think that is kinda cool. I also like the super mario sound effect when the Twolves players hit free throws.

• Like 2

That's about the Hawks getting their own offensive rebounds. Not about the Hawks giving up a ton of Offensive rebounds to the other team. We have a DEFENSIVE rebounding problem.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Maybe I got confused but I thought that's what he was talking about earlier. 

Great win and all, but who/what the hell was that guy in the game thread pic with Pekovic? Reminded me of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Interesting that Pero got no time; glad to see Brand knock off the rust.

Pero gets rest in most back to back situations.