• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ressler wants a new arena.

JETSET

• Moderators

I'm usually opposed to new arenas but i've never been a fan of Philips.   The design is dumb as the luxury wall takes away a ton of what would be the best seats for the 'common folk'.  Plus the sound for concerts sucks.   

If they move i'll be pissed though.   I can't imagine they would though as there is so much happening down there now after 4 decades of trying.

If you read the article and use critical thinking skills, you'll realize that remodel is the more likely option. Bradley lays everything out in a nice, and unbiased perspective. Then all of the sudden he f***ing jumps off a cliff with the NEW ARENA debate/claim.

Ressler will probably want an updated jumbotron, number of seats reduced, and some new amenities. Didn't Koonin discuss how they want like a Bud Light Party Deck somewhere in the arena? To me this probably means they update how you get up to the 300 level seats (more escalators? a new entrance somehow that goes up there?) and probably make the 400 section into said party deck?

Whatever it is, remodel makes more sense right now than rebuild. Maybe once Philips turns 20 they will seriously talk about rebuild.

Phillips is still really nice. Decatur Hawks?

That's not completely inconceivable. There is plenty of land available near Stonecrest Mall that's sitting there for someone to build upon (for selfish reasons, I stay off Evans Mill Road so the commute home from games would be easier). But then again, with New Birth down the street, the traffic would be catastrophic when the both of them have events...

Philips Arena wouldn't even be allowed to drink alcohol, it is that young.

And meanwhile, Georgia State is still playing basketball games in that old gym from the '70s. Something's just not right in this world...

• Moderators

If you read the article and use critical thinking skills, you'll realize that remodel is the more likely option. Bradley lays everything out in a nice, and unbiased perspective. Then all of the sudden he f***ing jumps off a cliff with the NEW ARENA debate/claim.

Ressler will probably want an updated jumbotron, number of seats reduced, and some new amenities. Didn't Koonin discuss how they want like a Bud Light Party Deck somewhere in the arena? To me this probably means they update how you get up to the 300 level seats (more escalators? a new entrance somehow that goes up there?) and probably make the 400 section into said party deck?

Whatever it is, remodel makes more sense right now than rebuild. Maybe once Philips turns 20 they will seriously talk about rebuild.

That makes sense except no one remodels anything in this town.   The developers know they make way more on a rebuild and it looks better in their portfolio.  I don't want them to tear down Philips but it's got serious design problems not the least of which is the access to the 300 level as you mention.   You've got like 8,000 seats up there with extremely limited access in and out but worse they have no access to the better concessions and souvenirs.   You do want people to buy stuff don't you?   The luxury stack i already mentioned and the obstructed view of half the 200 level makes for one screwy place.   Oh and the best seats in the 300 level are the hardest seats to get to in the whole arena.   It's like climbing stone mtn to get a beer if you're sitting in the first rows of the upper deck.

• Like 2

That makes sense except no one remodels anything in this town. The developers know they make way more on a rebuild and it looks better in their portfolio. I don't want them to tear down Philips but it's got serious design problems not the least of which is the access to the 300 level as you mention. You've got like 8,000 seats up there with extremely limited access in and out but worse they have no access to the better concessions and souvenirs. You do want people to buy stuff don't you? The luxury stack i already mentioned and the obstructed view of half the 200 level makes for one screwy place. Oh and the best seats in the 300 level are the hardest seats to get to in the whole arena. It's like climbing stone mtn to get a beer if you're sitting in the first rows of the upper deck.

I don't think the 300s are that bad. Getting in and out was painless when I went to Game 5 in the Nets series. It does feel like going up a mountain though. Especially having to walk down the steps.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

That makes sense except no one remodels anything in this town.   The developers know they make way more on a rebuild and it looks better in their portfolio.  I don't want them to tear down Philips but it's got serious design problems not the least of which is the access to the 300 level as you mention.   You've got like 8,000 seats up there with extremely limited access in and out but worse they have no access to the better concessions and souvenirs.   You do want people to buy stuff don't you?   The luxury stack i already mentioned and the obstructed view of half the 200 level makes for one screwy place.   Oh and the best seats in the 300 level are the hardest seats to get to in the whole arena.   It's like climbing stone mtn to get a beer if you're sitting in the first rows of the upper deck.

From my understanding it is actually more expensive to remodel than rebuild.

That's because they built a 20,000-seat arena on a footprint that was already tight when a 16,000-seat arena once stood there. And we've already heard chirps about the practice facility not being up to snuff, too?

Put Philips on the demo team's calendar, alongside Turner Field, the Georgia Dome, Panthersville, and the GSU Sports Arena (totally agree with Nathan regarding the latter two biting the big one after the Braves leave). You don't invest the kind of $$$ they did to add a few seats here and a scoreboard there; they probably have 360 or HOK on retainer as we speak...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 1

I predicted this in the Aldridge thread. Ressler and Grant are investors FIRST. That means they are gonna invest in the infrastructure and hopefully, top tier free agents. I have no problem with it. I wouldnt mind them putting the arena up on Georgia 400 or even over in Atlantic Station if there is land they could purchase over there.... Georgia State could use that land where Phillips sits, just like the Turner Field Land. It could work for the better...

Edited by atlhawks1

I sat in 2nd row in the 300 level during a regular season game against the Nets back in April.  I wasn't impressed in the least bit.  The seats looked old and worn, the steps looked like they needed repainting and it was too far to climb to get to the concession area.

Edited by Blunt91

• Premium Member

Has anybody notice the massive waste of money that Atlanta Sports teams has incurred.

Massive waste to leave Turner field.

Massive waste to build a new football dome.

It would be a massive waste to build a new arena.